Author Topic: Upgrade advice  (Read 784 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Upgrade advice
« on: July 10, 2004, 09:56:54 AM »
Hi all-

It is time that I breakdown and spend some money.  I wanted your opinion on my selections and maybe some better advice if you know better.

I currently run an AMD based machine.  I have an ASUS MB (A7V8X-X) and an athlon XP 1600 processor.  I have 512 Mb of DDR RAM ( MICRON) and a Geforce 3, 64 Mb  card.

I want to upgreade processor and vid card.  Was thinking a Barton based processor, maybe a Athlon XP 3000, which runs at 2.16 Ghz.  It has a 512 cache and a 333 Mhz FSB.  For the vid card, I am not willing to spend a lot of money on.  I know that most folks think that spend the most you can and get the most card you can afford.  I just want to be able to run AH2 smooth in all game situations.  So, I was thinking  a FX5700LE (nvidea) card.  IfI can manage I might go with a FX5900XT based card, but that is an extra 50-70 bones.  

I run Win2K, but have a copy of XP pro.  So I might just install it.  I have a wireless home network with the other machine being a win2K OS machine.

Do you think my selections will significantly help my machine play AH better?  Or am I wasting my money?

thx

ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Orig

• Copper Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 10:18:16 AM »
I have no hard data but from looking at review sites, here's what I *think*.

You would likely get performance boosts from either a cpu or vid upgrade, but the boost you'd get from BOTH would be even larger.  The 1600+ cpu will hold you back, and the GF3 is just plain OLD.  With prices where they are and considering what hardware you have, If I were you I would definately spend a couple hundred bucks because you can get a noticeable benefit for not too much money.

Not only would you get a performance boost from a new vid card, you could also get better image quality by being able to turn on FSAA and ansio filtering.

Consider getting a multiplier-unlocked mobile barton 2500+ and then overclocking it by increasing the multiplier.  Or if you're not comfortable overclocking, any of the faster barton processors would be fine.  Since your mobo supports barton processors, you have a cost-effective upgrade path through replacing only the cpu, but I wouldn't spend more than $150ish on the cpu upgrade.  You can get a barton 3000 for about that, but make sure you have a nice heatsink/fan unit to keep it cool.  I like the thermalright SLK series (SLK-800 is what I have) because you can put a quiet 80mm fan on it and get better cooling than a noiser high performance 60mm fan, but that's personal preference.

Even a sub-$100 barton 2500 would probably be noticeable and would save you up to $50 depending on where you got it, giving you some more coin to drop on a video card.  Either way, I bet you will notice almost any upgrade even if you spend a total of under $350.  But I'd go with both a better cpu and vid card because I'm fairly sure you'd be pleased with the results.

512 meg memory should be fine, so don't worry about that unless you have a specific need for more ram.

IMHO :)

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
Upgrade advice
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 01:31:48 PM »
Ammo,
I would recomn'd using the XP2800 Barton, save the $30-$40 from the price difference between the two and put it towards the better vid card.
FX5900 or FX5900xt / Ultra
The performance difference between those two proc's is minamal.
p.s. don't bother with the "LE" version's of vid cards.

Offline Rasker

• Silver Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 01:37:24 PM »
The mobile XP-M 2500 overclocks nicely, "they say" and runs with his existing (assumed) 133/266 mobo.  The higher end bartons would only reach full potential with a 166/333DDR mobo, so he'd have to budget another $50-100 [I'm guessing] for the new board.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 11:01:55 AM »
Originally posted by AWMac
-ammo and all others,

found a few more puter sites with competitive prices that is worth looking into if you are upgrading.

http://www.bottomdollar.com/

http://www.computerbrain.com/

http://www.aberdeeninc.com/

http://www.pcclub.com/

Prices vary between sites on the same product by as much as
$20 - $45.

Offline Orig

• Copper Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 12:53:05 PM »
ammo's existing motherboard is 166/333 mhz capable and should run any of the socket A Athlon XP processors just fine.  For full mobo specs, just hit http://www.asus.com and search around.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Upgrade advice
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 11:03:37 PM »
Ammo your  mb is just fine even though its the bottem line a7n8x .. but if you have you mind set on a new mb, id be happy to take you a7n8x off your hands ..

Email me if you want to get rid of it for a decent price /or trade

Ive got a msffb stick and a x-45 thats in my trade/ sell pile
(note: they are bolth very low hour sticks and work fine)

Roscoroo@hotmail.com

this goes for anyone else that may want to trade also .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 01:37:29 AM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
Ammo your  mb is just fine even though its the bottem line a7n8x .. but if you have you mind set on a new mb, id be happy to take you a7n8x off your hands ..

Email me if you want to get rid of it for a decent price /or trade

Ive got a msffb stick and a x-45 thats in my trade/ sell pile
(note: they are bolth very low hour sticks and work fine)

Roscoroo@hotmail.com

this goes for anyone else that may want to trade also .

Rosco,
I think you misread it.  I see A7V8X-X instead of the Nforce board.

DJ229 - AIR MAFIA
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 01:52:11 AM »
oops so its a via chipset board instead ... id still take it if Ammo wants to get rid of it .

Gotta replace the baby Roo's mb ... its unstable and i'm getting tired of trying to keep it working .

the nforce chipset is alot better though .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline Connection

• Copper Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 07:50:38 AM »
I'd recomend a Radeon 9600 XT and an Athlon XP 3000+ with the 400 FSB. If your RAM is PC2700, then just get the 2800+

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 10:44:02 AM »
Thanx for the great advice all.  I am going to figure out how much change I have to spend and then decide on the components suggested here.

I have built three machines on Nforce boards with great success (all for other people).  I went with via board for my last machine because I didn't want any of the onboard video/sound options included on most Nforce boards.  My thinking (flawed maybe) was I didn't want any conflicts with the cards I installed.

Rosco-

I will let you know.  I also have an Epox board (EP-8HKA+) at the house too, along with some CH analog gear (pro throttle, pro peds, fighterstick)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 09:31:39 AM »
He cannot use a CPU with a 400fsb, well he can but he is wasting his money. His mobo only supports up to a 333fsb.
In which case his CPU selection is fine.
As for the vid card, try this -
If you have a local store that sells the Radeon 9800SE and the ram on the board is arranged in a 'L' shape and not an 'I' shape, buy it. (Powercolor Sapphire 9800SE usually have the 'L' arrangement).
Use Omega drivers to unlock the extra 4 pipelines and viola you have a 9800PRO for the cost of a 9800SE.
Works fine for me and the other guys who went the same route.
Make sure the store has a return policy so if you get artifacts after unlocking the extra 4 pipes you can return it.
Lots of info on the rage3d site, goto the forums do a search for 9800SE softmod.

Anyone wanna buy a Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Rev 2.0 400fsb support).
AMD XP3000 (400fsb)
2x512Mb Crucial XMS DDR400
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 12:36:17 PM »
How much Kev ..
I've got a spare 2500+mobile barton , but if the price is right .

Roscoroo@hotmail.com
Roscoroo ,

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 12:36:59 PM »
How much Kev ..
I've got a spare 2500+mobile barton , but if the price is right .

Roscoroo@hotmail.com
Roscoroo ,

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Upgrade advice
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2004, 12:46:47 AM »
Make me an offer Roscoroo.
If price is good I may throw in the watercooler (Thermaltake Aquarius) as well.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory