Author Topic: HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!  (Read 6899 times)

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!
« on: July 10, 2004, 10:55:31 AM »
The MA has slipped back into pack mentality. I've had a few good fights. Climb to 5k and drive all the way to an enemy field where I find 20 flaks on the field and all the enemies hugging their ack. They come out briefly, when you offer them a coalt fight against a plane they think they can kill (P51), but then they run back and hide. When they attack us it's 20-30:1 odds and only then do they really want to fight.

I quit joining missions, because the pack mentality hits Bish the same way (and I despise seeing people steal a kill I've downed). The warps in these situations is awful. I've seen planes completely dissappear and then reappear 6k away. Small maps concentrate everyone into close quarters, and apparently the smoothing code, or whatever, just gets overwhelmed.

Is this what AHII is supposed to be like? or is it the summer time dweebs?

One big map is all we need! Trinity is my choice, or AKDessert, but any of them would be a welcome change. NDIsles is getting stale.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 11:59:37 AM »
Id say bring back Fester's big maps. The hell with those other pieces of crap.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 12:04:33 PM »
How would that be any different on the big maps?  

You'd still have large packs of people roaming around hitting undefended fields and people still wouldn't want to fight.

The only difference is instead of only 80% of the map going unused, 99.5% goes unused.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 12:51:24 PM »
Small maps actually force teams to fight, there's only so many alternatives with a very finite number of fields along a restricted front. On big maps, there's always some undefended field that can be milkrunned as an alternative to actually fighting for a field. Chasing a reluctant enemies' bar dar all over a huge map trying to make a fight happen with an enemy who prefers moving around the map wherever their opponent isn't  is an incredible waste of time. I don't have 150+ hours a month of disposable free time like some. Large maps cater to the full-time gamer, not the employed 95% that pay HTC's bills.

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 12:58:49 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 01:05:42 PM »
With the large maps you actually see four and five man squads trying to capture fields (or at least we did). Those situations were perfect for fights (defense). Like I said above, all we get now is a few cons that up to defend, give up, and then nothing; or we get 20-30:1 hoards.

Doesn't really matter anyway. There are so many bugs right now it's hard to have fun, and the best JABO's (twin engines) are frustrating team members to no end.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 01:06:37 PM »
Originally posted by MetaTron
With the large maps you actually see four and five man squads trying to capture fields (or at least we did). Those situations were perfect for fights (defense). Like I said above, all we get now is a few cons that up to defend, give up, and then nothing; or we get 20-30:1 hoards.

Doesn't really matter anyway. There are so many bugs right now it's hard to have fun, and the best JABO's (twin engines) are frustrating team members to no end.

The days of 4 or 5 guys taking fields is over...Thank God. The scale of viable field capture force required is now in very good proportion to the 30 man squadron HiTech has set-up. Because of the larger force required to capture fields the focus is on squadron operations and inter-squadron operations. This makes the MA alot like scenarios, special events, and real world war 2 operations. Four or five guys didn't take bases in world war 2....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 01:14:18 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 01:15:11 PM »
Five or six guys can take fields. Hornets have done it.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 01:21:29 PM »
Five or six guys can take fields. Hornets have done it.

With little or no opposition, thus your desire for large maps. On small maps, you are going to be opposed by a dozen or more enemy, guarenteed, just by virtue of the ratio of players to fields being much greater, making that impossible. Checked your score, you have flown 57 hours in 9 days, that's over 200 hrs a camp. I'm happy you have the free time to blow flying for hours chasing a reluctant enemy all over a huge map, but most of us do not. The tiny percentage of paying customers that have your kind of disposable free-time of 6 to 8 hours daily are vastly outnumbered by those who do not and we all pay the same 15 bucks a month.

HTC is in the business of attracting new customers. Nothing drives away the newbie who just wants to fight like a 2 hour flight looking for an enemy con to engage on a 512X512 map. After two weeks of that on pizza map or whatever, do you think they are going to subscribe after their 2 week trial is up? Hell no...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 01:39:42 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 01:31:22 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Small maps actually force teams to fight, there's only so many alternatives with a very finite number of fields along a restricted front. On big maps, there's always some undefended field that can be milkrunned as an alternative to actually fighting for a field. Chasing a reluctant enemies' bar dar all over a huge map trying to make a fight happen with an enemy who prefers moving around the map wherever their opponent isn't  is an incredible waste of time. I don't have 150+ hours a month of disposable free time like some. Large maps cater to the full-time gamer, not the employed 95% that pay HTC's bills.

Zazen

Actually that is probably the best I've ever seen it stated.

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 01:49:14 PM »
how can we have big maps with the new fuel burn rate?

not saying we cant fly the short range planes on them just puting big maps in is going to shorten time over target which is already short for planes like the spitfire and many others
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 01:56:43 PM »

Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 02:17:36 PM »
Well, you've gone and twisted what I was saying to suit your own agenda. The Hornets have captured bases with six guys and been opposed. Sorry you can't do it.

Jackal, piss off. Apparently you idiots want to be attacked by hoards. I don't.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 02:41:55 PM »
Apparently you idiots want to be attacked by hoards.

Idiots because we wont play your way?

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 02:46:40 PM »
log on, see 3 BIG blobs at 3 fields.....nothin else goin on.... H2H more fun (or even CT; ) and dweeb rides like spits and lala's HAD short range, thus it is more realistic
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 02:50:15 PM »
Well, you've gone and twisted what I was saying to suit your own agenda. The Hornets have captured bases with six guys and been opposed. Sorry you can't do it.

Jackal, piss off. Apparently you idiots want to be attacked by hoards. I don't.

Opposed by what? some newbie letting you vulch him on runway? If you guys are supposedly so fabulous, why can't you successfully combat the hordes like the rest of us do..You know, pick around the edges, lure some away etc? You are not making sense...I think what you really want is an atmosphere where you and 5 buds can pick an isolated base, vulch it to death at your liesure and eventually capture it, the opportunity to do this is rarely afforded on the small maps in AH2 where opposition is usually substantial and sustained...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 03:27:34 PM by Zazen13 »