Author Topic: HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2004, 06:03:34 PM »
Originally posted by Zippatuh
I’m going to chime in quickly here but… “his ilk”?

I’ve never flown with Voss, Metatron, or the other nic’s he has used; I have flown with Cav.

Stand up guy, good stick, and would not associate with a squad who was Voss’ “ilk”.  With a number like 52 it is going to be damn near impossible to not have pilots that fly for score or have questionable character but that doesn’t mean that all of them do.

If Cav is associated with this group then I can say that the majority of them like to knife fight, like working together, and probably take pride in the squad camaraderie.  I do not know who the Hornets are and who all is associated with them.  If they have Cavalier, then I beleive that says a lot.

So, with that I would say, lay off the squad.  Cute play on words but I don’t think its relative or probably appropriate.

I understand what you're saying, but saying the potatonets must be a good bunch of guys because Cav is a potatonet is just as gross a generalization as if I were saying the potatonets are a bad bunch of guys because they have Metapotato... Do you see how that is actually a hypocritical assertion?

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2004, 06:09:33 PM »
Originally posted by dsrtrat
You, Jackel1 and Urchin stepped up to the plate perfectly. Keep it up boys!!! Every post you make on here makes me happy to know that you can't ignore our squad or make it go away.  

I think you have your spurs tangled up in your bloomers here hoss.
  I have said nothing but good about your squad and have not bashed it in anyway.
  I fly and enjoy most of the guys there.
  I don`t place a entire squad in bad light just because of one player.
  If it POs ya that I`m slammin VOSS then I don`t know what to tell ya but tough chit. A liar, a cheat,scam artist, pathetiic puke......you pick it.
  Get YOUR facts straight before you start lumping people together. That is your point isn`t it?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 08:54:57 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2004, 06:29:47 PM »
Originally posted by dsrtrat
Nothing makes me happier than bringing out the whiner in someone. You, Jackel1 and Urchin stepped up to the plate perfectly.

Let`s see now...Hmmmmmmmmmm...you enter the discussion on page 4, not before as" dsrtrat" and your bringing out something in someone?  Who`s smoochin the pooch here? Got something you would like to share with us? :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:31:49 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline NHattila

• Copper Member
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2004, 06:40:07 PM »
this thread has become a pathetic pissing contest. sad times when people are trying to puff themselves up by insulting someone over the internet for an idea they have.

it's also pathetic to start ripping on an entire squad. i for one know that the majority of hornets do not give a fug about their scores. some worry about their K/D, but i think that applies to a large majority of the AH community.

pathetic.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:43:16 PM by NHattila »
Atti11a

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2004, 07:31:31 PM »
I, personaly attack undefended bases in the hope that a few will up, its not my fault if no one can be botherd to defend is it?

attacking undefended bases can

a: take bases easy (boring but good as a whole for the "country")
b: cause a little furball/gv action, which causes a great deal of fun
c: start a full blown furball on a new front
d: start a horde of our side attacking 1 poor rook/knit (BORING)
e: do the oposite of d, which is even worse! lol

big maps like festma are set up for all

round the sides you have massive furball arena bull**** with 50 or so guys fighting

in the middle you normaly have 5 v 5s which is much more fun and tactical

or the gv wars (including GV vs Fighters) which is also fun ;)

small maps = massive furballs everywhere. and not much for anyone else.

IF, however HTC arnt any time soon going to use the big maps, maybe they should make some more small maps?
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2004, 07:36:38 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Exactly Westy. Everyone seeks the path of least resistance foresaking the path of greatest fun. Kind of tragic really...

maybe its fun for you to fly into a horde of 20-50 rooks @ 35k while you are at the average alt of 15k, but its not for me........

early morning UK time is fun simply because the small numbers mean each field has about 5 players (if shared evenly)....which is more up my street
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline dsrtrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2004, 07:36:39 PM »
Jackal, I went back and read the posts. OK, you didn't bash the Hornets. I edited the picture for ya. Zazen gets and extra towel now. If you and Meta have a problem, he is a big enough boy to take care of you by himself.

I guess Zazen must be so busy reading his own posts that he missed Sirloin's invite into the DA. There couldn't be any other reason for him not responding could there?

Score now

Zazen 12
Urchin 1

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2004, 07:47:04 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag

big maps like festma are set up for all

round the sides you have massive furball arena bull**** with 50 or so guys fighting

in the middle you normaly have 5 v 5s which is much more fun and tactical

or the gv wars (including GV vs Fighters) which is also fun ;)

small maps = massive furballs everywhere. and not much for anyone else.

IF, however HTC arnt any time soon going to use the big maps, maybe they should make some more small maps?

I agree that Fester's maps are a decent compromise. I disagree that small maps preclude anything, other than milkrunning undefended fields, simply because virtually all fields are going to be defended. There are still GV battles, Strat bombing opportunities, spawn camping, etc. on small maps. The prescence of furballs has no effect on those facets of gameplay. So, small maps offer everything except milkrunning. Conversely, HUGE maps do in fact preclude furballing almost without exception, espcially during off peak US prime-time hours. So, unless milkrunning is what you pay 15 bucks for, you are losing nothing on the small maps, but if your 15 bucks is going to fight in large scale fighter engagements you are losing out on the HUGE maps.

As far as the maps go. As was discussed in Fester's most recent map thread, the responsibility for making maps has fallen upon the community, HTC does not make maps anymore. Furthermore, HTC has only allowed 512X512 maps, which are almost universally considered too large a template for the current player base. The liklihood of HTC suddenly accepting new 256X256 maps is about zero. Why we only have a choice between 256X256 or 512X512 is beyond me, having never looked at the map editing process. If there was a way, I would think making a 384X384 template would be an amicable compromise, I'm sure Fester could come up with something interesting. We have small maps and HUGE maps, but no MEDIUM maps, Perhaps that is the solution that would best fit the whole community, without there having to be this perpetual cycle of the 'have's' and the have not's' we are plagued with currently.

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 07:54:14 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2004, 07:49:10 PM »
I think that makes 13 DsrtRat. Whats the prize for 15 ?
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2004, 07:55:35 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
I think that makes 13 DsrtRat. Whats the prize for 15 ?

You spelled 'hear' wrong in your sig. I hope you're not one of those Bishops that dropped out of high school to become a 'career' gamer! :eek:

Zazen

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2004, 07:57:27 PM »
Thanks for seeing my mistake. Im sorry if I dont care what my spelling is like. And I may be wrong, but is that a bait ?
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2004, 08:04:35 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
Thanks for seeing my mistake. Im sorry if I dont care what my spelling is like. And I may be wrong, but is that a bait ?

You seem like a nice kid, so I'll tell you. That is not bait, that is what we professional fishermen call 'subject deflection'. I take a jab and like in martial arts I use your own energy against you with something unrelated as a weapon. In this way I avoid addressing your original comment, but at the same time afford myself the opportunity to riposte your thrust.

If I were baiting you I would have presented a situation that would have invited you into a discussion I had a pre-prepared 'trap' for in order to allow you to 'dig your own hole' as I did with Metapotato.

Hope that helps my Padawan learner.

:aok

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 08:12:48 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2004, 08:07:37 PM »
I still find it amusing that an area bigger than Wisconsin is considered "too small" for 300-600 people.  

J_A_B

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2004, 08:11:32 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
I still find it amusing that an area bigger than Wisconsin is considered "too small" for 300-600 people.  

J_A_B

It is when a squadron wants an area the size of Vermont as their own private play-thing with no intrusions from pesky enemy except if they are willing to be vulchables! :rofl

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 08:14:40 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Boozer2

• Copper Member
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2004, 08:31:48 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
I agree that Fester's maps are a decent compromise. I disagree that small maps preclude anything, other than milkrunning undefended fields, simply because virtually all fields are going to be defended.
Zazen

I'll have to disagree, small engagements really suffer ( < 5v5)

I enjoy finding the little fights in my jug or hog, and I just don't see them on the small maps at all without 12 more high spitfires reaching it before it's conclusion. Conversely, I could always find a furball even on Bigisles and AKdesert. I also still see enourmous value in the existence of undefended fields for newer players. Milkrunning can be a step in learning the game and should be possible for those that take that step.

Fester's current maps are fine because they're still 512 maps with enough room and fields that the small fights can spawn.