Author Topic: HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!  (Read 7008 times)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2004, 12:53:53 AM »
I think the vaporware thread gets revisited about every 6 months.Probebly a good thing too.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2004, 01:03:49 AM »
Originally posted by DrDea
I think the vaporware thread gets revisited about every 6 months.Probebly a good thing too.

Yes it is! :D

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2004, 01:14:08 AM »
Remind me never to solicit funds for a nonexist, vaporware game while claiming to be a CIA F-16 pilot in Iraq who suddenly suffers from a debilitating scorpion sting.  

You guys are one tough crowd!

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2004, 01:24:01 AM »
I'm a doctor .... I'm a lawyer .... I'm a movie star ....

I'm an astronaut and I own this bar ......

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2004, 01:38:11 AM »
Biggest ego's of the game
I nominate

Whels = your always lucky when you kill em.

Hammy = big mouth no skill

Voss = never seems to mind his own business, always jumpin in others conversations UN-invited.

SlowHand
4WING =441 Silver Fox=

A post I cut and pasted from that old Voss thread linked in this thread from a current member of Hornets before he became a Hornet about Hammy and Metapotato, now his squadmates.

Enjoy. :aok

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2004, 01:42:30 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Remind me never to solicit funds for a nonexist, vaporware game while claiming to be a CIA F-16 pilot in Iraq who suddenly suffers from a debilitating scorpion sting.  

You guys are one tough crowd!

-- Todd/Leviathn

Lol, Todd,  Metapotato/Voss should at least get points for creativity and 5 Bonus points for criminal insanity. :aok

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2004, 06:01:34 AM »
Originally posted by MetaTron
I believe I actually saw him come down to 20k once

Which spawn point were you camping that was on top of a mountain, under what name, on which account, with which of the squads?
-----------------------------------------------------
This is from a close associate who was part of the Voss scam called 'TAS' .. and aye, Maverick .. he probably took the name of the squadron, but the scam was not done by the squad ...it was perpetrated by Voss.

> How much money did he get from who?

Before I answer your question, I'll put my cards face up on the table, just so you know where I'm coming from.
Back when Paul "Voss" Hinds began his Scam I had already been playing AW for several years. Voss was a member of an Air Warrior Squadron called the 13th TAS, a Squad that has since had links with other online flight sim's and is also currently running in Aces High.
I only mention that because TAS was the name of the new online game at the centre of the scam, and it is important to point out that they were in no way connected with it, as far as I know the other members of the Squad are all honourable men.

Also, I've never written any of this down before, so by way of disclaimer, I will say that I'm working entirely from memory, but this is in any case how I remember those events as they occurred.

I was one of the beta testers for TAS and although I was one of the lucky ones, the scam cost me money, and wasted a great deal of my time. Also, let's not forget that at the time this was the biggest, longest and most outrageous scam ever to hit the flight sim' community! Now you know where I'm coming from, I'll answer your question.

The person who lost the most was the main investor, Michael "Amok" Hobuss, who I believe was one of Voss's AW Squad mates. From my perspective as one of the beta testers, the deal appeared to be that Voss did all the programming and design while Amok covered the expenses and development
costs, including having a new powerful development machine delivered to Voss, setting up and maintaining the beta team, bulletin board, and all advertising and promotional costs.

Now before we go any farther, let's just look at that set-up. Voss had built credibility by claiming to have two doctorates, and vast relevant experience, he was not just exaggerating, he was deliberately giving false information to a squad mate, in order to
encourage him into parting with money and equipment for services he knew that he could not deliver.

He was never in the CIA, was never an F-16 pilot and he did not shoot down two enemy aircraft has he claimed, he did not own
a P-51, and has probably never even flown one, and he did not have two PhDs.
He fabricated that entire web of lies with the obvious motivation of securing investment for his own personal gain.

This scam lasted a long time, and was fed with screen shots that looked magnificent, but which were in fact only artwork, and the delays were blamed on all manner of incredible circumstances, a scorpion bite, brain tumour, even some mention of special missions with the CIA.

During that time a large number of people were involved on the beta site, and I was one of them. I've heard that some of the beta testers were also asked for front money, but I can't recall being asked, but I do remember that I didn't send money. So I can't confirm that.

The scam dragged on so long that someone eventually checked into his background, and his military service was the first thing to come under scrutiny.
When it transpired that he had not been an F-16 pilot in the
USAF, he invented the CIA story to explain why his name didn't appear in military records, but the wall was beginning to crumble.

As more of his lies were exposed, Michael Hobuss became suspicious, but no doubt found it very hard to believe that a squad mate would lie and steal from him, so at that point he was actually covering for him.

Then things began to move quickly, because his stories were stretching credibility to the limit. I know how long you need to remain in education to get a PhD, not to mention two! Computer skills that exceeded those of the best programmers of the day, USAF training, a flying career, converting to F-16s, recruitment by the CIA, a privately owned P-51, and this man appeared to have achieved more than most could manage in two life times.

Everyone was suspicious and people were asking awkward questions. Michael Hobuss was also getting nervous and began asking awkward questions too, and that's when Voss disappeared. The Scorpion bite! It was reported that Folk
even visited Voss in hospital, so perhaps that part was true, but it just went down hill from there.

Time dragged on, and after more revelations, and no further evidence that the game even existed, Voss was supposed to have a brain tumour resulting in the end of the game's development, but then Michael Hobuss blew the whistle!
He admitted he had been conned, and lost his hardware, the
expenses and development costs, and that there never was any game. Any beta testers who had fronted money to the project had lost it. I had spent a lot of time logging onto the beta test site and incurred telephone costs and wasted many hours of my own time, but I was one of the lucky ones!

How much did Michael Hobuss eventually lose, I can't say, but I'd guess the figure must have been at least several thousand, and to be fair I heard that he was able to recover some of it. I'm not even sure how much I lost, I certainly wasn't bothered about it because it would have only been a fraction of what I was spending on AW at that time :)

This was a classic con! He fooled an investor, into parting with money and goods, by pretending to be something he wasn't.
The scam involved a large number of people, and left the community shaken, not because they had been taken in by a conman, but because they had been taken by one of their own,
some one many believed to be a squad mate and a friend.
For many it wasn't so much the money as the betrayal, that hurt that most.

Now I guess that all this could be forgotten if Voss had gone away, but he is still here, and he is attempting to rebuild his stock in the community.
Only recently he put out a call to the Aces High community to become involved in another project, that appeared to have all the hallmarks of another scam.
I was amazed when I saw it, and I thought to myself, "Here we
go again". Make no mistake, given the opportunity I believe he would do it again, it even looks very much as though he has actually tried already.
But fortunately, nobody took the bait. They never took the bait thanks to the efforts of those who remember, nobody has been allowed to forget.
The community has successfully protected itself by not allowing others to be taken in. That in my humble opinion is the morally correct, right and proper, thing to do.

When I see folk rehash the Voss stuff (as you call it) I'm always pleased to see it, because everytime it comes out I think that perhaps another few individuals have been made wise to him.
It also saddens me to see others defend him, because they are only helping him build a platform from which to strike again.

I haven't been able to give you exact figures, but does that answer your question?

Badz

-brought to you by Frank P. 'Gray Eagle' Williamson
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: July 13, 2004, 06:41:49 AM »

available soon at your local book store
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 07:11:35 AM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline ESB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #218 on: July 13, 2004, 07:04:49 AM »
Damn that's a lot of threads in a short time.

Well I'm pretty sure zazen is still digging himself a pretty big whole and must be far down by now.

He keeps going off topic a lot, and doesn't seem to have a response to a lot of insults thrown his way.

But first, zazen, about only insulting 1 member of the hornets, why the sudden attack on hammy?

And i know it's late, but your still wrong, taking undefended bases is boring, but like overlag said, it may provoke some interesting distraction and open up new front of battle and make the game more interesting. I'm sorry if you like to sit high up in the stratosphere and cherry pick the enemy out of a horde, but kev put it very well, hornets work as a team and work for the country, there's nothing I like better than getting stuck in a good dogfight, 5v5 is great fun, but mindless furballing gets boring.
And just because one member of the hornets says we like to take bases that are undefended, you foolishly jump to the conclusion  that the squad does nothing but.

I hate small maps like mindano, the action takes place around 3-4 bases and can stay like that for a long time.

I actualy agree with you on one point, medium maps would be a good thing, some of the big maps are a little too big, but a big map allows for a lot of stratigical battles and more fun as there is more choice (you don't have to go into a 30v30 battle because there is no where else to go)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #219 on: July 13, 2004, 07:42:26 AM »
Originally posted by Citabria

available soon at your local book store

ROFL
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #220 on: July 13, 2004, 08:45:08 AM »
Originally posted by ESB

But first, zazen, about only insulting 1 member of the hornets, why the sudden attack on hammy?

Ummm, do you read? I didn't insult Hammy..Slowhand, your now squadmate did. I cut and pasted that post from another thread. I actually have always kind of liked Hammy, he's one Hornet I think pretty highly of, always have. He's pretty good guy...for a brit! :aok

Zazen

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: July 13, 2004, 09:11:19 AM »
Overlag .. believe me the issues with only a few maps available (whether they are small, large, or Fester/Citabria design) is known. Right now we don't have the TE for AH2 so not much we can do about it. And HTC and crew are busy working on programming / code / etc. issues of AH2.

The lack of maps might be boring for the MA (I agree on this point .. little tired of same 3 maps) but its a killer for special events.

I basically have had to put Squad Ops and CAP on hold until we get some maps converted by HTC. We are hoping .. (fingers crossed) .. to have the Slot Map (Guadacanal) ready converted for friday (but that map doesn't help the MA).

Whether you like small or large or large with only a medium size layout (lots of unusued space around edges), once the TE is out I think everyone will be happy and the old maps will be converted quickly and new ones made.

Just have to be patient until then.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #222 on: July 13, 2004, 09:42:41 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
I understand what you're saying, but saying the potatonets must be a good bunch of guys because Cav is a potatonet is just as gross a generalization as if I were saying the potatonets are a bad bunch of guys because they have Metapotato... Do you see how that is actually a hypocritical assertion?

Zazen

Personally, I believe that in general people are good.  Do they have differences in opinion and personalities, of course.

I didn’t say that they must be a “good bunch of guys”… what I said was that with 52 in the squad there are going to be some oddities.

I don’t think that I’m being hypocritical, I’m just not being critical.  Saying the whole squad is bad because of one or two individuals is asinine.  Saying that the whole squad is good because of one or two individuals is also asinine.

I didn’t say the whole squad was good, I’m saying that if Cav is involved with the squad then there is a good chance that most of them are good people rather than not.

You are stating just the opposite which I believe is probably grossly inaccurate.

If you want to flame voss, go ahead.  If you want to flame the individuals who stand up for him in the squad, so be it.  Flaming the whole squad though is inappropriate.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2004, 09:56:25 AM »
Originally posted by Zippatuh
[/B]

You are stating just the opposite which I believe is probably grossly inaccurate.

If you want to flame voss, go ahead.  If you want to flame the individuals who stand up for him in the squad, so be it.  Flaming the whole squad though is inappropriate. [/B]

I never said the whole squad was anything, I just called into question their discretion in regard to their association with Metapotato/Voss. Anyone voluntarily associating with him has some issues in my opinion. There are several members of the Hornets I like very much and agree they are good people, as I have stated above about Hammy. Questioning their motives for allowing Voss to be in their squadron is not tantamount to indicting each individual person's character.

Zazen

Offline dsrtrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2004, 10:32:50 AM »
Anyone voluntarily associating with him has some issues in my opinion

LOL well aren't you the high and mighty!!!!! Fact is Zazen he is in our squad. Big deal. Even if he was all those things that you claim he is, it has no bearing on my life or my gameplay. Hell, I would let Saddam in the squad if he wanted to join. It is an online game. I could care less what these people do in their offline life. Sounds to me like you can't say the same. You cliam to be the ultimate troller, yet you, Fester and jackal1 seems to have a hard time letting this go. Maybe Metatron has trolled all of you

Based on what little I know about this whole mess that Zazen, fester and the lot are screaming about, I have a couple questions.

1. Did anyone actually give money to an unknown person over the internet?

2. Fester, Zazen or Jackal1, did any of you guys give money to an unknown person over the internet?