Author Topic: Any Air Warrior III players still around?  (Read 9208 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Any Air Warrior III players still around?
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2004, 11:43:16 AM »
Originally posted by Seeker

Additionaly; while the planes seem to be modeled a bit more accurately in AH (depending on who you believe); the flight model is actually easier than AW FR was. There's a host of new things to get used to, such as torque and trim; but flying on the edge isn't the knife edge experience that AW FR was.

That depends on what part of the reality engine your talking about AW stayed pretty much the same from AWDOS to AWMV except the graphics plane set and some small features like VOX. AW stalls and spins had less of a warning and seemed unrealistic. take offs where a joke just start your engine and throttle up and you where in the air without touching your stick (they tweaked that part a little bit at the end of awIII). I think in just about every way AH is more realistic. More believable stalls and spins, you actually have torque, linked flight surface interaction = one control has slight effect on others such as torque, throt, aralon, rudder, elevators use one and it has a small effect on others AW had no linking at all War birds had/has it but it wasn't that good AH seems to do it the best I think this effect is also called p-factor and no that’s not pucker factor I’m sure some one can explain it better. better hit bubble aw had a pure randomizer on damage you shoot out a guys left engine and his right engine would come die. then again AW was a dated game even AWMV if you strip away the interface and eye candy the game engine has been perty much the same as it was in 1987 when it first came out. that’s a very very old game. AW was good for it's day but it was time to lay it rest. would have been nice if some one had rebuilt the game from the ground up but due to some poor mismanagement (Jetwarrior Vietnam) and bad business decisions (EA) it was pretty much over with for the old gal. So In all honesty I think AH has a harder reality engine then AW did. Thats if you turn off autotake off and the stall limiter. the only thing that was really harder in AW was the onset of a spin and getting out of one seemed a bit harder at times but aw only seemed to have 2 or 3 types of spins. AH seems to have alot more difrent charactoristics to its spins. AW had stall buffetting and controll freaze ups AH only has a stall buzer. Thats perty much the only thing AW has over AH and Warbirds. They both beet AW in just about every other way in reguards to the reality engine.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2004, 03:39:56 PM »
There are at least six of the old AW 555th currently flying with the 1st Nasty. HB555 still carries his old AW handle.

Fun times!

:aok

Offline geepel

• Zinc Member
AW
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2004, 04:36:58 PM »
My memories of AW were usually in the PAC arena and quickly figuring out when my hellcat was going against AB2 and his dang Corsair.  Man he lit me up alot with that plane.  I was gpel back then.

Offline AWRaid

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • Semper Fi
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2004, 01:27:16 AM »
whatever happen to skt
-Raid

<S> SDShill <S>

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2005, 11:00:04 AM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
Biggest difference to me:

The Yak can fly with any plane in the game here. (late war U model, not the D we had in AW).

-Sik

Oh, the old YakD in AW could too, you just had to treat it right. Brought home lots of pelts in that one.

Along with the Jug, there wasn't much need for any other planes. ;->
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2005, 12:50:41 AM »
Originally posted by AWRaid
whatever happen to skt

Ahhh my old bud SKT... the things he could do with just a skillet.  He got married or bombed or something.  Actually he did get married and when AW was put into the grave he was playing ILII I believe.  I sure miss that old scoundrel!

All the best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2005, 01:13:13 PM »
I guess I'm late to this thread. I played AW since the Genie days with old CGA graphics. I was "RfDog" from C-land. You may remember shooting me down again and again.

I recently reinstalled AW3 on my childrens PC because my daughter is always asking for permission to fly and shoot down planes, but with the language in the MA there is no way I'm letting a 4 year old go online.

Anyway... After the install, I was amazed, I had to ask "did I really play this game all the time?" The pong pong pong flash kerpow red screen kills, the older than dirt graphics, and so on. What really amazed me was how little development $ EA put into the game and yet how devoted the community was to it.

Anyway, my assessment? No comparison, AH is a quantum leap forward. The only thing AW really had going for it was the user community but compared to even contemporary games, the engine and graphics were dragging. The only thing I can think of that I might consider a slight advantage over AH was:

A) The ability to turn off a country's ability to generate Spit 9s
B) The ability to easily get the range to the nearest friendly base
C) Multiple gunners on buffs (I'll still take 3 buffs over multiple gunners however)

I expect to get flamed for the above [bYou r teh wr0ng, AW is the k00lest evar game[/b]), but thats just the way I see it, as time continues its going to be more and more like comparing ATARI 2600 Barnstorming to the latest model of Microsoft Flight Sim.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline ATC

• Zinc Member
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2005, 03:19:20 PM »
me  

The best macro I heard:

"excuse me I thought you were my ex-wife, A kill has been recorded"

ATC
AW 1996 till it died

Damned Air Group
\/\/ido\/\//\/\akers (The first widowmaker squad)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 03:30:08 PM by ATC »

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2005, 07:22:39 PM »
Originally posted by Vortex
Oh, the old YakD in AW could too, you just had to treat it right. Brought home lots of pelts in that one.

Along with the Jug, there wasn't much need for any other planes. ;->

Ya, Yaks were fun. It was always fun hitting the YAK ATTAK macro on ch1 after blasting someone with it :) Kinda like rubbing salt into the wound.

Not that I was all that good in it by any means, I think I barely managed to stay over 1:1 in it. Of course, I usually never paid much attention to k/d, since I like to try to get up from vulched fields, augered to grab new planes, and other such fun :)
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2005, 11:26:19 PM »
Originally posted by Shaky
Ya, Yaks were fun. It was always fun hitting the YAK ATTAK macro on ch1 after blasting someone with it :) Kinda like rubbing salt into the wound.

The AH Yak ain't your grandfather's Yak....it's UBER! :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Re: Any Air Warrior III players still around?
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
I am trying to see how many people would be interested in coming to Indianapolis, IN during the summer of 2010 for an Air Warrior Pilot Reunion. I hosted the 2000 AW CON and I feel that getting as many ex-AW Pilots together would be a great thing to do.

Mike "Jordi" Bowman - AW DAMNED Squadron

---------------------------------

Survey page

http://airwarrior.wufoo.com/forms/air-warrior-pilot-reunion/

Please fill it out if you think you might be interested in coming.

If I can get enough interest now I can start making real plans for next summer.

Please pass this onto anyone else you know who might be interested in attending.

Thanks for helping out.

Mike "Jordi" Bowman
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »
wait for it.......

TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2009, 07:26:25 AM »
For those of you who doesn't know, check out www.airwarrioronline.com

Lots of people stop in there by stumbling onto the site or whatever.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »
For those of you who doesn't know, check out www.airwarrioronline.com

Lots of people stop in there by stumbling onto the site or whatever.

...and if any of ewe guys still do NNTP, check out news.bigweek.org

(Just a lurker myself).

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2009, 08:07:26 AM »
MOSS showed up in the MA a week or so ago, not sure if he is gonna stay..he plays IL2-FB

Man this thread digs up some old times.Moss along with TC and others showed me how to get my head out of it when I was just getting started with this online flight sim stuff.That was over 10 years ago!

Ditch I played as Pipz AWII,AWIII...had the same name all these years...I played on Gamestorm FR arena,I was a BZ.I think I remember you I know I remember the squad names.I cant remember where I put my keys down five minutes ago but I can remember this stuff from a decade ago <G> I am sure you will see plenty of people you hung out with back in the day.

Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!