Author Topic: Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?
« on: July 21, 2004, 02:09:40 PM »
The CT regulars (non-vocal majority) use the arena as an escape from the gameplay of the main arena.   We at the CT enjoy this atmosphere where strategy and dogfights are important and not personal rankings.

Lately, I see a lot of guys landing two kills, fly, then land two kills, etc.  While I don't mind guys landing to take a break, landing to score kills for the sake of scoring them is not what the Combat Theatre is about.  Working hard to earn a #1 rank should not be the result of MA typing scoring, but of the time and effort that you put into the theatre.

What I'm trying to get at is that incentive to fly the CT should not be based on the ability to get a high ranking, it should be about the immersion of flying a historical scenario.

I'd like to make the CT the best of what Aces High has to offer, away from the P-51/NIK-2/Spitfire/La-7 hordes in the MA.

What would you guys think about disabling ranking in the CT?  Maybe develop a code of ethics for flying into the CT just like in Fighter Ace (no shooting smoking/flaming aircraft).  Am I the only one who is aware of this?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 02:29:10 PM »
What is non-historical about landing kills?  Should people fly till they die?

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 02:37:22 PM »
Yea right, that'll happen.  Take pictures of the formations of pigs flying overhead when it does, else nobody will believe you.

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 02:56:52 PM »
As odd as it may sound, there are some of us who try to land kills or just land a sortie for a sense of accomplishment, with no mind or concern for rankings. I for one don't give a rats arse about rankings.
There is a group of CT regulars that will still strive to land sorties with or without kills, no matter.
Rankings? Killem for all I care, but don't imply that we should fly till we die (if that is what you are saying). Now that is MA mentality imo.

"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

storch

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 03:11:56 PM »
This is reason that when I fish, I land the animal and remove the hook myself.  If I intend to keep the animal into the well it goes.  If I release it I held it.  It gives me the sense of accomplishment.  So it is when I land my kills rare though it may be.  Kill or leave the rank system I care not either way.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 03:28:38 PM »
This may be more due to the limited ammo in this setup.  I have never run out of shells faster than f4f vs zero.

Offline fluffy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 03:39:25 PM »
Remove the rank system if you like but stop trying to police behaviours - the last thing I want to see is a code of 'political correctness' being shoved in my face all the time. I get enough of that in the real world. I like to think that I am a sportsman and a fair player, but be that as it may, as long as I pay for the privilege, I'll fly in the CT as I please, and so may everyone else as far as I'm concerned.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 03:43:15 PM »
I’d be fine with disabling the CT ranks.  I think it would cut down on some whining.

I would, however, like the personal and arena “Stats” to remain available though (the ability to check “75 Kills of 109F-4”, 52 Deaths by 109F-4, etc.).  

Leave the channel 1 announcements: SYSTEM: JoeBlow landed 5 kills in a A6M-2.

I hate the idea of developing a code of ethics; no shooting chutes, vulching, HOing, etc.  It would lead to whines like you can’t imagine!  Any shot in front of 9:00 and 3:00 would be called a HO.  Next thing you know folks would be demanding that no airplane can engage another at a lower altitude or E-state.  They’l say “no engaging any two aircraft already in a 1:1.”  

As far as I’m concerned, here are the rules:
1. Don’t mess with the game codes (hard core cheating).
2. Don’t intentionally mess up your connect to induce warps, etc.
3. No swearing, written or oral (and no personal RL threats).
4. Try not to be a whiner and try not to tell everyone else what to do.  

Any other code of ethics should be self imposed: If you don’t’ think it’s cool to shoot at chutes, then don’t.  If you do, then do. Etc.  If you are frustrated that others aren’t playing by your rules, see rule 4 above.

Here’s the big thing that no one in this game seams to get: We all play this game for different reasons.  We think that we know how everyone should play and we all expect that everyone else should have to play by the rules and style that we think is best.  People who want everyone in the arena to play to their liking have one thing in common; they take this GAME way too seriously!  Realize that some folks have reasons for playing that are very different than your own.
Some folks want to become immersed in history, some just want to survive, some want a laugh, some have something to prove to everyone, and some have something to prove to themselves, some want a challenge, some want to play a game, some want to “make a difference”, some want to unleash some real life frustrations, some just want to see stuff explode, some want to be part of a team, some want to be loners, some want to beat the odds, some want to gangbang, (we could go on here…).  A great many want to do several of these things at once, or perhaps at different times.  I can honestly say that I am, or have been, driven by each of the things that I listed above.  I can also say that after 8 years of flight simming, I’m mostly still in it for yucks.  A lot of people have tried to tell me how I should play this game over the years, but there is one thing that I can guarantee:  I have more fun than they do and I am less frustrated than they are.  

Remember: no one knows how to let eskimo have fun like eskimo.

eskimo

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Re: Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 03:55:11 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
The CT regulars (non-vocal majority) use the arena as an escape from the gameplay of the main arena

How do you know this?  How do you know that you are speaking for the silent majority?

I like the CT over the MA because I like planes to be historically matched.  (If I fly a blue plane, I want to shoot at Jap planes only, etc.)

eskimo

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 04:33:59 PM »
You're concerned about adding limited lives one day of the week yet you look to implement something like this?  What is going on in the heads of this CT staff???

Maybe instead of implementing rules to get the players to create an enviroment that we all desire in the CT, maybe try putting a little time into creating an enviroment that brings out the player style that the majority is looking for in the CT.

You are almost never in the CT so to even dictate what the CT is like is a squealing joke.  Crawl back into your hole, or better get the hell out of it and let somebody that wants to do the job do it right.

Stop treating the sypmtoms and get to the root of the problem-The complete lack of interaction and/or leadership of the CT staff.

How many more posts like this are we going to endure before we get rid of these idioits.

VOTE BUG!!

:aok
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 05:05:42 PM by TheBug »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 05:27:59 PM »
Guys, let me clarify a few items

a) My 'landing kills' comment was just an example of how players are in the CT treating it like the MA.  It's just an example that has been taken for gospel on how the CT is being used.  In reality, we have a lot of guys who fly the CT for enjoyment regardless of how it's played.

b) This topic was created on how to improve gameplay, not squash unliked behavoiurs/police the state.  That's why I asked. It's not an invitation to bash the CT staff.

c) And Bug, please email me at mister_fork@hitechcreations - I'd like to chat with you off-line please.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 05:40:30 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Re: Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 05:38:59 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
How do you know this?  How do you know that you are speaking for the silent majority?

I like the CT over the MA because I like planes to be historically matched.  (If I fly a blue plane, I want to shoot at Jap planes only, etc.)

eskimo
With over 190 hours in the CT, I think I know (and you too) how the arena works.  I've also been involved in gaming communities for over 8 years now in managerial/forum admin roles. There are well over 500 registered CT fliers yet only a handful of the pilots post here in the CT forum.  

It's a hard balancing act trying to listen to opinions that make sense yet trying not to let the vocal minority make changes the general population don't want.   It's why we often ask questions to the members, then use experience and commen sense on setups.  Not an easy job but we rely on the veterans like yourself for help in making our decisions eskimo. :aok
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 05:41:27 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 06:20:52 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Guys, let me clarify a few items

It's not an invitation to bash the CT staff.

Well, yes it was an invitation and your lack of ability to understand that is my problem, more so than the actual comments made.

Email sent.

Vote Bug:aok
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 06:31:22 PM »
I think I will have to agree a lot with eskimo. I do hope the CT (ingame) scoring gets booted as well as ch1. I wouldnt mind if HTC went to "Kill of xx by xx..." instead of; "....xx landed xx kills". I for one try my hardest not to die. I fly many sorties and land empty handed a lot. I normaly only vulch when attacking a field for capture...not for score whoring. Take off from a capped field, suffer getting vulched. WANT A FAIR FIGHT???GO THE THE FUGGING DA :rolleyes:  I fight when I know I can kill, I disenguage when I'm not sure I can. I am not here to entertain, Im here to kill what I know I can kill and RTB.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 06:34:20 PM »
you pay $15 a month and you can those $15 a month how ever you want to.  You whine about "No shooting chutes tard."  im going to make it my personally goal to shoot you in a chute when ever possible BECAUSE IT IS MY $15 NOT YOUR'S MINE DAMN ITAND I SPEND IT HOW I WANT TO.

II/JG3 DGS II