Author Topic: Uninstalling then reinstalling  (Read 256 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Uninstalling then reinstalling
« on: July 26, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »
Oh a word to the wise. If anyone decides to do this. Dont trust the windows uninstaller to uninstall the game. It wouldnt uninstall it and I had to manualy delete the files from the HTC folder to get a fresh install

Tried it twice and thought it odd that my video settings would remain exactly the same as to what I set them at
so the third time I tried I doublechecked and low and behold though I did an uninstall when I looked in the HTC folder The entire AHII game and all of its files were still there. Once I manually deleted all the AHII files the game installed properly

Uninstalled, redownloaded then reinstalled game  without carrying over my AHI settings last night. Hopefully that will cure alot of my ills. That about the last option I can think of.
Flew only  a couple flights after that and semed to get alot of stuttering and frames were still in the crapper at low alt but I was told that this happens the first time you run the game.

Wont be able to fully put it through its paces till tonight.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 09:37:33 AM »
yeah dred after i recently reformatted my hard drive ah2 was running really bad, give it a couple days to load all those resolutions you keep seeing loaded in the text buffer while online... everything smothed out after a couple days for me:aok

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Uninstalling then reinstalling
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 10:01:36 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Oh a word to the wise. If anyone decides to do this. Dont trust the windows uninstaller to uninstall the game. It wouldnt uninstall it and I had to manualy delete the files from the HTC folder to get a fresh install

Tried it twice and thought it odd that my video settings would remain exactly the same as to what I set them at
so the third time I tried I doublechecked and low and behold though I did an uninstall when I looked in the HTC folder The entire AHII game and all of its files were still there. Once I manually deleted all the AHII files the game installed properly

Uninstalled, redownloaded then reinstalled game  without carrying over my AHI settings last night. Hopefully that will cure alot of my ills. That about the last option I can think of.
Flew only  a couple flights after that and semed to get alot of stuttering and frames were still in the crapper at low alt but I was told that this happens the first time you run the game.

Wont be able to fully put it through its paces till tonight.

DRED ...

Any commercial "windows" installer, keeps a log of all the directories that it created and all the files that it loaded.

Any files and/or directories that are created after the install, are not part of the log, therefore they will not be un-installed/deleted when running the "un-install" program.

It's obvious that AH II creates quite a bit of files and directories after running it for the first time, so that is why you see all the directories and files left behind after an un-install.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 11:17:34 AM »
I created a partition just for AHII. That way I can defrag it at max speed as well as completely wipe it out with the format command on that partition in just seconds. Iuse the Windows unistaller first to clean out as many registry settings as possible, then reformat the partition.

It is a pain resetting up all your cockpit views and other custom settings. I know you can save those files and re-import them, but i prefer a totally clean install.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Uninstalling then reinstalling
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 02:04:17 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
DRED ...

Any commercial "windows" installer, keeps a log of all the directories that it created and all the files that it loaded.

Any files and/or directories that are created after the install, are not part of the log, therefore they will not be un-installed/deleted when running the "un-install" program.

It's obvious that AH II creates quite a bit of files and directories after running it for the first time, so that is why you see all the directories and files left behind after an un-install.

No I mean it didnt get rid of ANY of the game. the entire thing was still there and it wasnt untill I manually deleted them that I was able to get a fresh install
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty