Author Topic: Aces HIgh II: 1st Camp After Action Report  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Aces HIgh II: 1st Camp After Action Report
« on: August 02, 2004, 04:47:58 PM »
Well, it finally came! After alot of anticipation, waiting and beta-testing we were finally blessed with HTC's answer to the call for the next installment  of its massively-multiplayer WWII Air Combat Simulator, Aces High II. The first full camp was an exciting one with numerous resets and alot of NDIsles. I have done some number crunching for everyone's amusement. Here it is...

KILLS & DEATHS by Country:

Rooks:

Kills:189,355
Deaths:155,464
K/D:1.22:1 Kills per Death

Bishops:

Kills:148,280
Deaths:176,407
K/D:0.84:1 Kills per Death

Knights:

Kills:155,119
Deaths:160,883
K/D:0.96:1 Kills per Death

For comparisons sake here are the cumulative 2003 Kills per Death ratios for each country. From this we can conclude if there is any statistically significant impact on any country as a result of changing from AH I to AH II:

Rooks: 1.16:1 Kills per Death
Knights:1:1 Kills per Death
Bishops:0.87:1 Kills per Death

TOP FIGHTER PILOTS by Country:

Top 10 Fighter Pilots:

Rooks:5
Knights:4
Bishops:1

Top 25 Fighter Pilots:

Rooks:15
Knights:7
Bishops:3

Top 50 Fighter Pilots:

Rooks:30
Knights:12
Bishops:8

Top 75 Fighter Pilots:

Rooks:46
Knights:18
Bishops:11

Top 99 Fighter Pilots:

Rooks:59
Knights:22
Bishops:18

Conclusion: I can't help but notice the mathematical relationship between the number of upper echelon fighter pilots each country possesses and the Kills per Deaths totals for their respective countries.

Some are of the opinion each country, by some esoteric magic of random distribution, has an exactly equal number of skillfull and talented pilots. They contend that by some miracle of happenstance human nature and freedom of choice, that would normally bring the like-minded together, doesn't maifest itself  in Aces High. They contend this even in the face of obvious statistical proof otherwise. From an objectively scientific point of view, this is obviously not the case.

COUNTRY vs. COUNTRY MATCH-UPS:

Rooks vs. Bishops:

Rook Kills of Bishops:99,069
Rook K/D vs. Bishops:1.28:1 Kills per Death

Bishop Kills of Rooks:77,672
Bishop K/D vs. Rooks:0.78:1 Kills per Death

Knights vs. Bishops:

Knight Kills of Bishops:77,325
Knight K/D vs. Bishops:1.10:1 Kill per Death

Bishop Kills of Knights:70,595
Bishop K/D vs. Knights:0.91:1 Kills per Death

Rooks vs. Knights:

Rook Kills of Knights:90,285
Rook K/D vs. Knights: 1.16:1 Kills per Death

Knight Kills vs. Rooks:77,791
Knight K/D vs. Rooks:0.86:1 Kills per Death

Conclusion: As you can plainly see both Rooks and Knights have a much higher than average success rate against Bishops. Converesely, Bishops and Knights have a much lower success rate than average against Rooks.

Enjoy! :aok

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 05:15:24 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »
Awesome data... which would be a bit more useful if it factored in the number of pilots actually flying for a given country... though I'm not sure how'd you'd do this.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 05:04:01 PM »
Originally posted by Paxil
Awesome data... which would be a bit more useful if it factored in the number of pilots actually flying for a given country... though I'm not sure how'd you'd do this.

That's not possible as of yet. But, more usefull would be the number of sorties flown by each country. The raw number of pilots isn't really meaningfull in and of itself.

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 05:15:46 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 05:38:09 PM »
:rolleyes: 200 pilots vs. 100 pilots will make the 200 look better everytime.

Rooks have numbers , will continue to have numbers , and both Bish and Knights don't.

Skew it all you want. But the side with the most will always look better.:rolleyes:
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 05:42:08 PM »
Agree with RedTop.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 07:01:53 PM by BlueJ1 »
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 06:04:01 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop
:rolleyes: 200 pilots vs. 100 pilots will make the 200 look better everytime.

Rooks have numbers , will continue to have numbers , and both Bish and Knights don't.

Skew it all you want. But the side with the most will always look better.:rolleyes:

The only problem with that theory is, all three countries have almost exactly the same statistics respectively for any camp you care tolook at, going back 3 years+. This includes the lengthy period when Bishops had a huge numerical advantage. Rooks still had the best K/D and Bishops the worst, by far (Knights always somewhere in between).

As easy as it is to blame these statistics on raw numbers of players, these statistics are proven consistant regardless of any numerical disparity between the countries. These numbers are derived from the quality of the 'core' players each team has and has always had.

Check this for yourselves, go back two years+ when Rooks were getting reset everynight and Bishops had a 3 to 1 advanatge in numbers 24/7.

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 06:35:10 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline xBarrelx

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 06:10:11 PM »
and to think someone actually took that much time to get the data......coulda been killin ppl in the game but nooo..........and i ranked 3.....but i switched countries all the time.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 06:12:25 PM »
Originally posted by xBarrelx
and to think someone actually took that much time to get the data......coulda been killin ppl in the game but nooo..........and i ranked 3.....but i switched countries all the time.

The ranks used in here were only fighter ranks. In the case where someone switched sides I used the side they garnered the majority of their kills on. For example, in your particular case, you were ranked 68th in fighter and scored the majority of your kills as a Bishop.

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 06:14:28 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 06:41:14 PM »
Seems like a lot of effort put forth to make a determination that is most likely inaccurate and pointless.

What's the point?

Is it that Bishops are lowlife scum suckers who can't fly, and Rooks are godlike beings who sprout wings of varying styles to smite the lower life forms?

Or is it that Knights are in between the "good and the bad" and are therefor the "ugly"?

ROFL!

I can manipulate any set of numbers to reflect what I want to be perceived.

It's just a game for Chr**t sake.

Numbers have always been cyclical here and will continue to be.

Fly whatever country you want. It doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Aces HIgh II: 1st Camp After Action Report
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 06:49:03 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13

Conclusion: As you can plainly see both Rooks and Knights have a much higher than average success rate against Bishops. Converesely, Bishops and Knights have a much lower success rate than average against Rooks.
Zazen
I was considering posting in Bishops defense, but I checked my own stats...  
3.22:1 aginst Rooks
6.16:1 aginst Bishops
.... never mind.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 07:35:05 PM »
Originally posted by RTR
Seems like a lot of effort put forth to make a determination that is most likely inaccurate and pointless.

What's the point?

Is it that Bishops are lowlife scum suckers who can't fly, and Rooks are godlike beings who sprout wings of varying styles to smite the lower life forms?

Or is it that Knights are in between the "good and the bad" and are therefor the "ugly"?

ROFL!

I can manipulate any set of numbers to reflect what I want to be perceived.

It's just a game for Chr**t sake.

Numbers have always been cyclical here and will continue to be.

Fly whatever country you want. It doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

RTR

These numbers aren't 'slanted' in any way, they are cut and pasted right from the HTC website. They speak the unbiased, painfull truth. Draw your own conclusions, but this is the raw data plain and simple. This data is entirely consistant with data collected every camp from the beginning of Aces High.

The reason why I keep bringing this up is precisely that this data collected every camp since AH began is SO consistant regardless of fluctuations in numbers between the countries. Rooks were just as impressive fighting against the odds as with them. Bishops were just as dismal with the odds as against them. Knights are always somewhere in the middle, also regardless of MA numbers.

People have taken to crying about numerical disparity to assuage their MA woes. My contention as supported by this huge volume of data is their plight has nothing whatever to do with the numbers. It's the 'make-up', skill and talent wise, of the core player base that constitute the countries. This hasn't changed in any statistically significant way since AH began, so is unlikely to ever change.

Zazen
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 07:38:33 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 07:42:39 PM »
ROFLMAO!

I offer my most humble apologies.
Please understand I am only a lowly Bishop, and most of this is obviously way over my head.

Of course you are right.

Your most obedient servant.

I feel like I'm having trouble getting to Solla-Salloo, and I'm one of those sneetches who doesn't have a star upon thar's.

RTR

:rofl
The Damned

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 09:03:58 PM »
The numbers say Rook are the most Talented, followed by Knights, then Bish Last, but how can you base talent on numbers, not every flyer strives to be in the top 10, top 50, top 100, top 200, top 300, top 400 and so on, but that doesn't mean they aren't as talented or even better. They just don't care about score or any part of it.......so just because Rooks have most fighter ranks in top 100, followed by knights, then bish doesn't mean that  the bish are less skilled flyers or knight for that matter, it just means some of them do not fly to pound their chest thump, thump, thump  to play almighty I am kong of the Arena knock me off my skyscraper if you dare...........

As for more kills, that is a numbers issue as well, and it has been shown night after night and at other times, that  when a country has overwhelmingly more players than another country, that country with less is gona end up being slaughtered, when 6 guys are fighting every 1 opponent ( exaggeration here)

I think you a cool cat, Zazen but you base every thing in game and on bbs strictly on numbers............I find that a little outrageous  LOL......

still though, even if you added up all the better talented pilots up in every country you would probably find more in Rook land, just for the fact that Rook outnumbers everyone else by mass volume........

my 2 cents :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 10:04:35 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser

As for more kills, that is a numbers issue as well, and it has been shown night after night and at other times, that  when a country has overwhelmingly more players than another country, that country with less is gona end up being slaughtered, when 6 guys are fighting every 1 opponent ( exaggeration here)

Then how do you explain Rooks having similiar kill numbers as they do today two years+ ago when they were vastly outnumbered. Similiarly, how do you explain Bishops having just as terrible kill numbers 2 years ago+ when they outnumbered Rooks and Knights combined, 24/7? Clearly, superior numbers does not = superior Kill Totals or K/D. If Kill Totals and K/D are independant of numbers, which is a PROVEN FACT (look it up yourself right here on this website), then the Kill Totals and K/D have to be a simple factor of the skill and talent of the pilots themselves, pilot quality.

Zazen

Offline Ratnick

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 10:17:36 PM »
You really don’t have the data required to come to any conclusion about pilot ability based on the icon they are flying with. HTC does not produce the data that shows which country outnumbers the other as a function of time. We’re talking country ratio as a function of time.
Even if it did there are no statistics to show how game play transpired during time. How many kills are by vulch? How many kills were staged?
Was one country fighting a pitched battle on two fronts and for how long? What is the squad make up of each country as opposed to nonaligned players? How often did squads from one country play together during the course of time? Was there more organized squad play on one side than another? What was the squads strategy of game play during the course of time?  
What are the statistics about players and squads changing countries? Does their ability change or just a kill to death ratio? If it’s their ability that changes how does the given icon affect game play? Does a given squad or players ability change according to the icon they are flying under?
You’re better off trying to come to some sort of conclusion regarding ability by looking at the psychological reason for choosing one chess piece over another. You would be just as incorrect as you are now but it could be entertaining and would not make you look nearly as foolish as you do now. Your type of thinking is similar to that used by dictators and racists from past history to try to prove their genetic superiority. In that light I hope that your postings are actually in jest and that you are not nearly as pompous as you sound. If you are serious then you’re truly a sad individual.