Author Topic: new at this getting frustrated is it worth it  (Read 765 times)

Offline lwp508

• Zinc Member
new at this getting frustrated is it worth it
« on: August 09, 2004, 11:48:23 PM »
I've been on the free trial for about 10 days now, however i've probably played 5 days. I have 24 kills but died over 150 times. When I go to the training area everyone is very helpful however when i get into combat I can't even get a check six most of the time. And I know even with a check six call I'd still probably get smoked but a least I would have a small chance to get out of there. I love playing the game however it get's very frustrating getting shot down out of the clear blue. I try to look behind me as much as possible but then your constantly on the defensive and there is not a good view from looking behind you anyway. I am on a limited budget and would like some honest advice if I should suscribe. And I'm not crying the game is too hard thats one of the things I enjoy about it I just thought there would be more teamwork. Anyway thank you I'm sure I'll get

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 11:55:16 PM »
You do know you can adjust head position right?

Example: Look behind you, use the arrow keys and page up and page down and then press F10 to save.

Offline lwp508

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 12:20:03 AM »
no i did not know this thanks for replying

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 12:50:23 AM »
Getting your head positions down will go along way towards at least seeing who's killing you.  :)  Which is the first step in ultimately keeping them from doing it in the first place.  I've never considered myself good as a trainer but if you see me online I'd be happy to answer any text questions you may have.

I know it's frusting believe I remember being new as well.... eons ago it seems some days... the learning curve is steep.. and frustrating I've hucked various joysticks across the room on several occasions.  Best advice i have to a good time is buddy up with some people... friends tend to make just about any endevour more enjoyable and AH is no exception.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 12:52:44 AM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 12:51:20 AM »
When all else fails, read the instructions.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/helphom.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 12:57:46 AM by DAVENRINO »
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 01:06:25 AM »
Steep learning curve. No way around it really. You gotta wanna.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 02:00:22 AM »
lwp508, please don't go down the "No Check6" road.  :)  Unfortunately, a lot of players have done and there is nothing worse than hearing somebody whine because they died after not getting one.  The only person responsible for getting killed is yourself.  As mentioned above, it will help to adjust your head positions to make looking behind you easier, but think of the Check6 as a bonus rather than a right.  Very often, although there may be lots of friendlies about, they may be totally focussed on their own game and simply not notice that you have an enemy on your 6.  I tend to use GVs a lot, and spend a lot of time in full zoom which of course gives me a very restricted field of view - I might see an enemy plane, but not notice it closing on a friendly until it is too late.

It might help to do a search in these forums for 'head positions' as some players have made their own available for anyone to use, which could save you a lot of time.

Anyway, doon't give up - we were all new once and it is a steep learning curve.  Try filming your flights and then looking to see where you went wrong, and how you could have done something better.  Welcome to Aces High!  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline lwp508

• Zinc Member
thanks flossy
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 02:07:23 AM »
Thanks flossy , I just thought there would be more teamwork in the game. I take full responibilty for every time I get and continue to be shot down I just thought playing with a country there would be a litttle more teamwork.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 02:26:30 AM »
Yeah, the level of team-work can vary considerably.  

If you decide to subscribe, it may help you to join a squad - not necessarily the first one that invites you.... shop around a bit, fly with different squads and see how you get on with them; then when you are comfortable with one, ask to join them.  Being part of a good squad can make all the difference.  

Otherwise, try joining missions when they are posted and when you are feeling more confident in your flying, perhaps try some of the special events.  Special Events like the SquadOps and Scenarios are where team-work really comes into its own and can make a really enjoyable experience.  Don't give up, though.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 02:47:47 AM »
this may help also until your ready to subscribe and deal with the torcher in the main arena ... Fly H2h  rooms and hook up with some of the better sticks in there . then after you get the 1st couple of months learning curve down , and get thoughly addicted to this game then spend the $$'s for the sub .

theres alot of players that have gone this route also .

Also a good squad in the main will take the time to help you out also .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Patches

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 07:17:53 AM »
First off....ya just need to understand that the learning curve is difficult. Secondly...as others have stated...try to find a group (Squad) of folks with whom you may have some rapport and fly with them for a bit and gleen them for any and all information possible about the game in general, and about flying aircraft in general, and about specific aircraft that you wish to learn.

When I subscribed to Aces High, I specific things in mind: 1) I wanted to learn to fly the F4U Corsair in all of its varients. 2) I sought out Corsair specific Squadrons and went to their various websites to determine if I "might" ..."fit-in"...with their style of flying and fighting in the game. 3) I selected a Squad that met my needs and requested acceptance. 4) I then proceeded to spend a multitude of hours in the training arena learning the intracacies of the F4U in the attack and fighter modes so that I would meet, or hope to meet, the expectations of my new squadmates, all of whom have flown a gazzillion, or more hours, in an F4U than I...and on my very first Squad Night I was sweating buckets for fear that I would let my new-found Squaddies down.

Since you are getting frustrated at being shot down so much it seems to me that you have the sand to stay with this game(sim) and to wreak hovoc upon those who have taken advantage of your inexperience. That, Sir, is a foundation upon which you can build. Don't let frustration and inexperience blind you...take hold of the challenge and strive to improve your skills by utilizing the opportunities afforded you throught the help files, the training arena, and through fellow players...

And, if you are interested in learning to fly and fight in a Corsair, please look up the Green Mountain Boys.

Good luck and best regards,

Patches

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 07:41:57 AM »
Uhh..  don't worry about check 6 calls when you begin.  I am
new to this game as well, and the only thing "check 6" tells
me is that I'm about to die, heh.   Also, don;t rely on check
6 calls..the game is all about situational awareness on your behalf.
   Situational awareness, or commonly abbreviated as SA
goes a long way.  Many people will tell you that by the time
someone is on your six, it's "game over" anyway.  Most
fights are won on the initial engagement, or what's called
the "merge".  Check out this term at http://www.netaces.org.
   Good luck, and don't feel your a loner when it comes to frustration in this game.  These planes are modeled for
realism and are not intended to be an arcade (easy) style
of flying.  It takes alot of reading up on what each planes
strength and weaknesses are to effectivly use them
properly.

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 11:05:49 AM »
Welcome! Yes it's worth it. I asked the same question several months ago. I would take off and wam! Out of the blue I was dead. Now I've been at it six months and life is a lot better. i can stay alive a long while, but I still can't hit anything. Adjust those head positions! Critical. Then practice...a lot. Start out in a plane that is easy to handle like a spitfire 9 (personal opinion after trying many fast and more difficult planes). Learn the characterisrica of some of the planes ( spit, P38 LA-7 etc) the ones you see everyday. Some turn on a dime ands some dive with easy. Some dont turn at all and some scream out of the sky right into the ground. Hang in there. It really does get better. And try the training arena. It is  agreat place.
Peace
Pillur

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »
Sorry !! It's not bad enough I type like English is a second language; but I had to post it twice! Duh!
Pillur

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 12:53:11 PM »
The MA is, and always has been, very newb unfriendly.

Is it worth it?  Yeah, unfortunately for every thing else in your life it is.