Author Topic: ENY disablements  (Read 10260 times)

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2004, 10:22:40 PM »
Originally posted by phookat
I see.  Maybe you should take a break from the BBS and fly for a while.  You might like it. ;)

Your feelings for your chess piece are solely your own.  HTC did not tell you to have them.  But if you have such feelings, the answer is simple.  Stick with your country, through thick and thin.  When you have numbers, you won't get all the best planes.  So fly a lesser plane.

If you don't have such feelings and want to fly another plane, switch countries and help even the numbers.

It's really pretty straightforward.

Oh.... you can write this in stone... I'm not changing countries.
:)

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2004, 10:26:45 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Soup...

I agree the 3 country model wasn't working. HT asked on the BBS what people felt would be the best way to try and address the issue. He, then, took one of the ideas presented there and attempted to deal with the issue (which is something the AH community refused to do). So, how is this bad customer service, how is this "forcing" a fix down your throat? Soup...put down the axe and back away :).

You got it.... I put the ax away.....

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2004, 10:26:57 PM »
Originally posted by 4510
Oh.... you can write this in stone... I'm not changing countries.
:)

Well... here goes again.  Sorry, I keep repeating myself.  But WTH right?

You may want to consider a change of perspective: instead of "three countries", think "one community". You are not changing sides at all, you are simply making the game better by evening the teams. If you and your buddies at work did a friendly pick-up basketball game, and two guys had to leave the other team, you'd fill in their place so the game could continue. Right? This is no different.

Offline Goobman

• Zinc Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2004, 10:29:25 PM »
Hitech:
I cannot believe what I am reading. You are suggesting that I leave my team....my teammates...my squadmates... just to be able to fly a plane I should be able to fly anyway? I am not a mercenary and I take this very seriously. Country hopping should not be your solution.

On my team, every plane I listed earlier were unavailable. If they were for the other 2 countries it proves my point of the system being unfair. My opinion may mean nothing to you, but if it does I urge you to rethink this plan of evening out numbers. It doesnt work and is only hurting the game. There has to be a better, more equitable solution.

If it comes down to me choosing a different country to fly for, I will choose not flying at all.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ENY disablements
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2004, 10:49:17 PM »
Originally posted by 4510
Uh.. I never said anything about reading questions etc. etc. Think you have me mixed up with someone else...

Notice the "If he" in the quote as in 3rd person, as in refering to someone other than you.  
You're running so many conversations, I think you just misread or forgot the context.  No prob, not important.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2004, 10:58:48 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Goobman, It is absolutly false because if you changed sides you could still fly them.

HiTech

This is certainly true, and since I rarely fly aircaft with an ENY of less than 15, it only blocked my use of the P-38.

However, what options are available to guys who are part of a squad that has strict rules about side-switching? If they switch they may be booted from a squad they enjoy flying with. I've seen it happen several times. My squad is one of those that require loyalty (although I personally find it silly).

While the solution offered was worth a try, I don't see it accomplishing the goal of side balancing. And frankly, I find the whole issue moot anyway. Where were the attempts to balance sides two years ago when on any given night, the Rooks were out-numbered 3/1? Why is this now a big issue? Do we have more crybabies now than then? It seems so. Besides, only during a few hours of prime time do the Rooks have a noteworthy numbers advantage, and not every night. All day long Rooks have the lowest number of players. I didn't see any whining about that.

As we have seen in the past, numbers will go up and down in an almost cyclic pattern. Trying to manage that is probably not a good idea in light of the fact that a great many players are getting annoyed because they can't fly what they want and fly with whom they want at the same time. Adding to this is the problem of the smaller side still having low-cost access to perk planes. Therefore, the side(s) having the greater numbers get penalized twice. They must fly second tier aircraft, and often against dirt cheap perk planes.

Now, I realize that HTC is not finished with this experiment as Pyro wrote that the ENY cut-off may be changed. But, based upon what I'm seeing on the BBS and what I saw and heard online, I conclude that the cure may be worse than the disease.

I'd rather see zero restrictions on types and a revised perk system go into effect when the numbers are badly skewed. perhaps cutting perk cost to just 10% of normal for the under-manned country. If Tempests cost only 10 perk points, they'll get a lot of use. You will probably not force a significant number of players to switch sides. They simply will not abandon their squads. But, you can offset numbers with perk values low enough that even newbies can afford a 262 or Tempest. I'm not sure that's a real solution either, but it sure will cut down on the overall volume of whining.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 08:58:56 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
ENY disablements
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2004, 11:00:49 PM »
System is working very well, a lot better than I expected.   This is the first sunday night that was enjoyable in a really long time.   I was even able to up a 110C and 202 and have fun with them when I wanted too.  

There were steady battles on all fronts, and nobody had to hunt for work. At the same time it was not a gangband on monumental scale that ruins everyones fun (except the perpetrators of course).  

Unexpected benefit is a lot more diversity (sp) of opponents.   We were still outnumbered, rooks had as many players as bish and knights combined, but  it was a fun time anyway.

Hell hitech, you just maybe maybe might actually know what you are doing:)   I still hate HQ, but this is 200% better.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2004, 11:01:54 PM »
Originally posted by Goobman
If it comes down to me choosing a different country to fly for, I will choose not flying at all.

Now that is just flat-out silly.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Goobman

• Zinc Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2004, 11:12:36 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Now that is just flat-out silly.

My regards,

Widewing

The silliness is that I am being coerced (by cutting my choices of planes in half) to become a country hopper. I believe in loyalty to your team, not switching when the odd are against you. My next statement is evidence of this: I am, and will always be a New Orleans Saints Fan. :)

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2004, 11:20:29 PM »
The silliness is that I am being coerced (by cutting my choices of planes in half) to become a country hopper. I believe in loyalty to your team, not switching when the odd are against you. My next statement is evidence of this: I am, and will always be a New Orleans Saints Fan. :)

And LORD knows the Saints have TRIED to get you to switch teams!

:lol

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2004, 11:32:15 PM »

What in the world would you do if HT changed the current three county rook/bish/knight setup to a four country hearts/clubs/diamonds/spades setup overnight? Quit because your team got renamed and moved and an expansion team was formed? :)

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2004, 11:45:13 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
What in the world would you do if HT changed the current three county rook/bish/knight setup to a four country hearts/clubs/diamonds/spades setup overnight? Quit because your team got renamed and moved and an expansion team was formed? :)

Speaking only for myself (and what our squad did when we arrived in AH). We would look to see who has the squads that like to play the way we do, which country has squads who we have good history with, and we also evaluate the general tone and temperament of the population at large and determine whether we will spend most of our time working together or squelching them as soon as we log on.

It was never about a particular chess piece. It has always been about the people we like to fly with.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2004, 11:51:58 PM »
Ah .. but figure in the dynamic of a fourth side and the possibility that there would be some mix and match. It wouldn't be "Rooks all go Spades, Bish all go Hearts and Knights all go Clubs" (well, I guess technically it could ... but ....). You've got a fourth hand now and you'd probably see some mix of friend and foe, preferred accompli and preferred target. If not you, someone would. And, to tell ya the truth, a little mix and shake probably couldn't hoit right now.

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2004, 11:56:08 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Ah .. but figure in the dynamic of a fourth side and the possibility that there would be some mix and match. It wouldn't be "Rooks all go Spades, Bish all go Hearts and Knights all go Clubs" (well, I guess technically it could ... but ....). You've got a fourth hand now and you'd probably see some mix of friend and foe, preferred accompli and preferred target. If not you, someone would. And, to tell ya the truth, a little mix and shake probably couldn't hoit right now.

Perfectly true, but it wouldn't change the way we would make our selection. Maybe in a 4 country scenario we would end up in one with 5 of the squads we like to work with (rather than 12 in a 3 country setup). Just like when AW closed down. Country A,B and C didn't uniformly move to Knight, Bishop and Rook here. Same deal...

Offline roofer

• Zinc Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2004, 12:21:50 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Goobman, It is absolutly false because if you changed sides you could still fly them.

HiTech

not an option for me.

if this is going to be your solution to this "problem" then i don't see me shelling out cash on this sim for very much longer

my lone 15 bucks a month is pennies in your eyes, but it's alot of money to pay to be limited on what planes to fly.