Author Topic: ENY disablements  (Read 10346 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2004, 03:55:23 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Didn't miss that idea slap shot. I just do not care for that one becase it only starts having an effect after the captures start.

HiTech

NP ... just thought ya might have ... Hi Tech ... :D

I don't see a problem with it. Most of the angst and anguish is when the lesser poplulated country is cornered or beginning to get penned it.

So, if after a reset or a map rotation reset, I don't see a problem with the lesser country duking it out over a large front. At this point there is still room to "spread your wings" and try to stem the tide.

Once base captures start to happen, and there is an over-balance, that is when the "Delirium  Factor" would come into immediate effect along the front line (as it moves and encroaches into foriegn land) and it would then slow things down and level the playing field.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2004, 03:59:55 PM »
This is probalimatic in your system, You described as either home or not.  
The HQ system could function as you describe or could start removing planes sooner with higher values depending on the scales.

HiTech

Then again, you know more about the internals than we do, so the "distance from HQ" might work. At the least, it is step to refine what has been implemented.

Cudos to you for doing it, and BIG cudos for trying/listening to ways to refine it and make it work without being too painfull.

Bottom line on this one ... I think the premesis is a definate step in the right direction, however you implement it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2004, 04:02:57 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Come on Dok ... I am a software developer too, and very rarely do things get done in 5 or 6 lines of code ... maybe it is trival, just a gut feeling on my part that it wouldn't be.

LOL... I've heard that phrase before. It goes along with "this'll all be transparent to the user".
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 04:24:09 PM by Hyrax81st »

Offline SKDenny

• Zinc Member
      • http://216.12.31.149
Re: ArcadeHI 2
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2004, 04:20:56 PM »
Originally posted by KaK3MAW
LIMITING plane set  because you have more numbers is only going to encourage more ganging.... Rooks could have 100 more players.. limmited to 109fe and spit1.. and be ganged by bish  and knights and be effectively outnumbered. I for one am lustily looking forward to exploit this arcade feature....
 BTW,,  do we get monthy fee decrease based on  lower percentage of totl plane set use?  we should.
KaK3

"that which doesn't kill you isn't dangerous enough":aok

Never in this life could I think that I would ever agree with my arch rival KaK3. But in this case we agree.
I have flown most every Sunday as a Rook, we have numbers advantage but I have never been there for a
reset on Sunday night. We have the numbers, the organization, but still we are not effective in making a reset
happen.

What I think you should do while we are at it, is to place a penalty on the top 100 pilots, Curly, Fester, Kappa,
all Ltars. They all spend time becoming great pilots and should be smacked down for being that good.

What a game, and rest assured that it is a game Pyro said so. This is not a simulation, none of the planes are set
to the specs that they were in WWII.  ONCE YOU OPEN A BAG OF WORMS THEY GO EVERYWHERE.

SKPappy SKBG

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2004, 04:31:35 PM »
Originally posted by Hyrax81st
LOL... I've used that phrase before. It goes along with "this'll all be transparent to the user".

I wouldn't say something is "easy" if I hadn't thought through how to do it first. Hell, who do you think was one of the first people to start putting double-quotes around the words two and weeks.

No problem, HT. I was just offering some ways to quickly tweak things and get the signal-to-whine ratio to a more acceptable level,

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2004, 04:45:42 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
I wouldn't say something is "easy" if I hadn't thought through how to do it first. Hell, who do you think was one of the first people to start putting double-quotes around the words two and weeks.

No problem, HT. I was just offering some ways to quickly tweak things and get the signal-to-whine ratio to a more acceptable level,

Sorry Dok,

I wasn't implying you hadn't thought things through in your original quote. I was laughing at my own memory of how an I.T. Director "over-sold" the benefits of 4GL software development to some COBOL programmers. One of 'em actually said "well, looks like we can replace the whole system with 5 or 6 lines of code." in a very dry tone. It was hysterical at the time because he was not known for being anything less than totally serious. Everyone cracked up and the Director had to start laughing too, or lose his audience.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2004, 04:53:37 PM »
Originally posted by 2Slow
Frankly, if there was a viable alternative to AH, I would go there now.

the unknown is scary, eh?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2004, 05:08:18 PM »
As to the 163 and perk planes the 163 will definetly be excluded and im favoring the idea of all perks to be excluded from the eny system.

HiTech

Your thoughts on bombers along the same line?
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2004, 05:46:03 PM »
Originally posted by Hyrax81st
Sorry Dok,

I wasn't implying you hadn't thought things through in your original quote....

No problem ... I didn't mean my response in a harsh way. I was really agreeing with you. If someone I didn't know said a major functional change could be done in 3 lines I'd go "yeah right" too.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2004, 06:01:03 PM »
Im starting to think this whole thing is a subtle way of encouraging folks to change countries (i.e. Nits) About 2 years ago when the rooks were getting beat up like red-headed stepchildren night after night, our numbers got steadily worse and worse--was hard not to notice  peeps I used to fly with were now part of the hoards hunting down my VERY average-skilled d9/b17. After a few months, typical night was 75 Rooks, 120-150 each Nits and Bish---each map was a race to see how fast Rooks could get pushed off map. Eventually a squad or 2 that left returned, AK's came over in gesture of good-will, and within a few more months arena was quite even...and FUN. ITs no damn fun getting ganged, and its equally no damn fun havin 2-3X more guys than your opponent---there's no challenge, and its REALLY hard to find kills...( unless of course a noob keeps uppin a p51 at a capped field.) Im guessin there are quite a few guys in Bish/Rooks that have left Nits over last few months...go back and everythin be even and this patch wont be a topic of discussion
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2004, 08:55:57 PM »
Originally posted by Chortle
Even before the ENY modifier, some people would fly 51s/La7s/190s sectors to a fight, even if their team had a CV already there. I reckon they'd fly any distance if it meant they could keep their preferred ride.

This isn't a dig, well maybe a slight one, just made me laugh :)

I will fly several sectors in a 190 or 109.  I prefer to fly German only.... so thus I would have to if the only other choice were a CV.  (tho the CHOG is an appealing ride )

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2004, 12:23:13 AM »
Might be able to define it as distance from HQ. Then the farther you move lines from HQ the higher ENY values only would be availible. Just another scale opertation base on that distance.

This also has the added advantage of increasing avergy flight time to enemy. Which is also a very odds evening force.

HiTech

HT, I do like that compromise idea. As one side further advances, it'll become more difficult to progress with inferior aircraft. But defending aircraft will have an advantage. And if people want to bring their 51's 400 miles, they'll take really good care of them deep in enemy territory. And what a vulchfest it would be to catch all sorts of high performance aircraft waiting to hotload and get back into the air. There would be defensive vulch squads waiting to pounce, and offensive CAP over a captured field to defend against vulching hotloaders.

I think the distance to HQ CNY idea would really add a lot to playbalance, realism, and strategy.

And people would be able to fly whatever they wanted. It would have to be scaled for the large and small maps. But, I  think it would add a lot to the game. You would really have to plan your long distance missions and figure out what aircraft would be available as you advance into enemy territory. The XO's and mission planners would really have to put on their thinking caps to win a reset.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2004, 01:04:39 AM »
Wouldn't hotpadding just defeat the whole idea of making them fly from further away.
Scenario -
Hoard gets together grabs their Lalas / Ponys etc, lifts, flies to within 50 miles of front line. Hotpads, reups, gets to their 25/30k alt. Anyone gets close to them, hit the deck and run, get to field rearm/refuel, rinse and repeat. And your fed up with runstangs and lalas now? This would make things 100% worse.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2004, 02:08:47 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Wouldn't hotpadding just defeat the whole idea of making them fly from further away.
Scenario -
Hoard gets together grabs their Lalas / Ponys etc, lifts, flies to within 50 miles of front line. Hotpads, reups, gets to their 25/30k alt. Anyone gets close to them, hit the deck and run, get to field rearm/refuel, rinse and repeat. And your fed up with runstangs and lalas now? This would make things 100% worse.

25K? The only stuff I see up there on a regular basis are Lancs and B17's. And why would you even want to take a Russian plane over 15K in the first place?

In theory what you say is correct. Except that vultching puts you close to AAA, so you are likely to get some damage - so you need to replane. Likewise the turn-around time for the hotpad isn't nearly as quick (or sure-fire) as re-planing ... and you are very vulnerable while taxiing to the hotpad, a Tiffy could really do some damage with only a couple runs with all those parked planes.

Offline Skeksis

• Zinc Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2004, 02:31:17 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
All you effing whiners keep talking about how you're being denied doing what you want to do sometimes.  Well eff you.   [/B]

I dunno about you but I am part of a bomber squad that spends a lot of time in the 17, how is this game balance patch supposed to benefit us?

Skeksis