Author Topic: ENY disablements  (Read 10345 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2004, 02:44:48 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
It also dosn't handle a the case very well where a country is beetin back and then a lot of numbers show up.

Wow. Hitech reads my posts.

Malcolm Hood to the P-51B.  When?  :(

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2004, 02:46:29 PM »
Might be able to define it as distance from HQ. Then the farther you move lines from HQ the higher ENY values only would be availible. Just another scale opertation base on that distance.

This also has the added advantage of increasing avergy flight time to enemy. Which is also a very odds evening force.

HiTech

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2004, 02:53:33 PM »
Dok that dosn't take into account the change of owner ship of fields in the arena.

It would tend to create very hotspot in the terrain.

To make your idea work it would have to be based off from the dist to the nearest enemy field, That creates a problem as I see it when you take a look at the exceptions of no field avaiable.

It also dosn't handle a the case very well where a country is beetin back and then a lot of numbers show up.

AND Btw on your other sugestion of perks being lowered for underdog, they are already, Underdog gets decrease, Big country gets increased.

HiTech

What you see as flaws are actually what I thought would work best. If you get beat back and then reinforcments arrive you can then retake ground without penalty of numbers - because you were probably beaten back *by* superior numbers - so you should at least be able to get back to the starting line.

The change in ownership is what gets tracked with the "homeFields" array - it says who owned what field when the terrain loaded. As long as you fly from a field that was originally on your "soil" you can fly whatever you want.

But when The Horde advances, they must attack from captured fields with inferior planes.

As for the perk modifier, I suggested accelerating the ramp. What I've observed (and I'm sure you have stats that are a better indicator) is that the side with numbers rarely uses perk planes as it now stands anyway. And the defender rarely does (save for jets) because the odds of losing the perk ride are so high. But if you accelerate the discount so that if you're outnumbered it's almost in your best interest to invest in a perk ride, then the face of the battle may change.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2004, 02:54:40 PM »
That would address the concerns of both defending HQ with 163, and if the country with the numbers are backed up on their core territory.  Reminds me of a former AvA AW setup where the best planes were only avalible at the rear.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2004, 02:59:34 PM »
Originally posted by Hyrax81st
First, tell me what you think the "best" plane is for JABO ?

The P51-D has the best long distance "legs" (fuel) and combination of ordinance with dogfighting capability of any of the JABO rides (F4U, F6F, P47, Typhoon).

I didn't know that only Allieds had 'jabbo's. :D
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
ENY disablements
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2004, 03:02:30 PM »
As to the 163 and perk planes the 163 will definetly be excluded and im favoring the idea of all perks to be excluded from the eny system.

HiTech

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
ENY disablements
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2004, 03:08:07 PM »
As to the 163 and perk planes the 163 will definetly be excluded and im favoring the idea of all perks to be excluded from the eny system.

HiTech

That sounds like a good idea - would add a little more "value" to perks in out of balance situations. You can fly a p51d or la7, but you can spend 60 or so perks for a tempest, ect....

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2004, 03:10:48 PM »
Instead of making some planes unavailable altogether, why not just perk every plane in the set, but make it so that when the numbers are even only the "perk planes" have an actual perk cost. However as the number start to grow unbalanced more planes gets perk costs attached to them. This way if someone REALLY wants to fly a certain plane he can, but he will have to pay for it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2004, 03:14:14 PM »
The change in ownership is what gets tracked with the "homeFields" array - it says who owned what field when the terrain loaded. As long as you fly from a field that was originally on your "soil" you can fly whatever you want.

Keep going Dok ... I think that HT missed the point that the "home" array would be intially loaded with all the airfields that each country owned when the map was initalized.

homeFieldsRook[] = [A1,A4,A8,...]

homeFieldsBishop[] = [A34,A66,A99,...]

homeFieldsKinights[] = [A22,A44,A7,...]

When sitting in the tower, you would look at the "home" country of the pilot and at the airfield number. If the airfield is not in the "home" array, disable the planes if there is an imbalance.

This would, in effect, be the same, if not better than "distance from HQ".

SWEET !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
ENY disablements
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2004, 03:18:16 PM »
GS, then it would still be like pre patch 8. Perks wouldn't matter that much. (imagine 51s/la7 would be peked around 10 or less in that situation with perk mod applied - not that many points)
But if you cant fly certain planes when your side is grossly over populated, and you want to fly a better plane - then you have to pay premium perk points for it - based on ther perk mod.

And I don't think it's a punishment. If folks want to stay on one side because of any reason (squads, loyalty) and the 51s / la7s are disabled - then they have a choice to up a fast ride - only they have to pay for it. And they would also be dealing with the perk mod.

Kinda adds a little emphasis now back on the perk points.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 03:23:02 PM by Waffle »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2004, 03:25:48 PM »
I think it would work. The F4U-1C was the scourge of the MA before it got its tiny little perk cost attached to it. Now it's a novelty in the MA. If the lemming horde has to pay say 10 perks for every Pony or Spit they auger they will run out of perks in no time. ;)

OTOH this system allows the hardcore one-plane-enthusiast-chess-piece-loyalist to fly his particular brand of poison, but at a cost if he flies for the biggest team.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
ENY disablements
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2004, 03:25:49 PM »
Didn't miss that idea slap shot. I just do not care for that one becase it only starts having an effect after the captures start.

HiTech

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2004, 03:28:27 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

When sitting in the tower, you would look at the "home" country of the pilot and at the airfield number. If the airfield is not in the "home" array, disable the planes if there is an imbalance.

This would, in effect, be the same, if not better than "distance from HQ".

SWEET !!!

You got the idea. A lot easier to do than measuring distances too. This almost rewards the side that can advance without a huge odds advantage.

-DoK

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2004, 03:37:46 PM »
Didn't miss that idea slap shot. I just do not care for that one becase it only starts having an effect after the captures start.

OK ... lemme play devils advocate then ...

If odds are 100:100:125 and the front is static along the country borders, why is there anything that needs balancing? One side has a numerical edge, but its not translating into any kind of advance. So if they can't advance even with superior numbers, why should they be penalized on top of this?

I would think that a static front indicates a balanced arena. No?

While I suppose you could see a semi-permanent vultching in this case, that's easy enough to avoid being affected by - just launch elsewhere. And if the side with numbers does start taking fields, the further into enemy territory the go, the further they are from  home bases with the "good" planes they are.

I'm not saying my idea is perfect by any stretch ... but it may be a decent compromise.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
ENY disablements
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2004, 03:49:17 PM »
the further into enemy territory

This is probalimatic in your system, You described as either home or not.  
The HQ system could function as you describe or could start removing planes sooner with higher values depending on the scales.

HiTech