Author Topic: AH gods - how about a simple mission format?  (Read 133 times)

Offline Hedgehog

• Zinc Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org
AH gods - how about a simple mission format?
« on: October 23, 1999, 10:10:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am really loving AH, and so are many of my squaddies! Best of luck, PYRO and HITECH.

I have a suggestion, that hopefully will someday be implemented in AH. I have really enjoyed the "mission" format of many of the non-arena flight sims like Falcon 4 and SDOE. Many of my squaddies agree. We'd like to see less "fly-and-die" and more opportunity to fly in a mission.

I think this could be implemented fairly easily in AH, and I think it would revolutionize arena sims and make you guys head and shoulders above the "competition".

What I'm thinking about is a simple list of "missions" that would be generated by the server based on each country's "needs" in battle.

Nothing super-fancy like a dynamic campaign or anything - just a computer-generated list of "missions" that people could choose from when they are in AH. These "missions" would basically just be a way to unify the people entering the arena and provide a specific objective. It would also teach newer flyers or lone wolf types the fun of flying in a squad atmosphere and with a "purpose" other than 1 vs 1 sweep that people usually fly.

What do people think? Post your ideas. If you guys would want to talk about it more, send EMAIL. I'd love to see this implemented.

------------------
=Hedgehog
=Screamin' Blue Messiahs
http://sbm.warbirds.org

Comstar

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 1999, 10:52:00 PM »
This is a good point. How can you have stratgy if you don't know whats going on?

Should I go for the oil tanks near f3? Or the  ammo bunkers at f2? There's no way to know if someone else is going for them unless they reply to my radio requests, and most probaly the'll be too busy defending themselves or lining up the nordon to reply.

But if I could see a list of current avilable targets, I could immedtialy see where I could do some good, rather than just taking off and flying somewhere. And if I could see where other people re targeted I could follow in a support role or something. 3xb17's otw to f9? I think they could use some cap or a c47...

And It would add a lot to the immersvives to see what everyone else was doing. be a part of a airforce more, rather than just a bunch of planes all headed the same general direction.

214CaveJ

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 1999, 12:33:00 AM »
sweet idea.  i've done a few formation flights in 17s going to hammer the bishcuits, and I wouldna mind taking an extra minute to tick a checkbox or something somewhere.  Then people could see where I'm going with my eggs by looking at a page on the clipboard.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 1999, 06:25:00 AM »
Excellent idea HH!

Some ideas:

-Mission list on the clipboard
-Players would choose what mission they want to fly, and are thrown into a chat room.  
-The players would choose one leader, who would have control of the mission settings (visible on the clipboard)
-Default for leader would be the first pilot in the chatroom, but he can give the "honor" to someone else in the room
-Leader could write a small text that would show on the clipboard for all others, RW IP, route info, details... and such...
-When the mission starts, it can't be joined anymore
-Clipboard list should show mission details and locations of pilots (grid, alt) so that others can monitor their progress
-After all pilots have died, bailed or landed, and pressed an "exit mission" button, the mission would disappear from the list, unless the objective was not fulfilled, in which case it can (must) be reflown

------------------
Camouflage
Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Hedgehog

• Zinc Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 1999, 10:06:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

Yes - all great ideas! This can't be too hard to implement, and it would seriously revolutionize arena flight simming. Having a purpose in a defined mission is so much more enjoyable to many people than just grab a plane and tool around.

Com and Camo - great posts. Camo - I was even thinking - in addition to what you have said - have the server generate a list of missions as well. The server knows the state of the arena and the countries. Well, it would then be easy to have the server generate a list of possible missions that could be flown from a given base. Once generated, the people would choose the mission and enter a "chat room" situation - like you said - and continues as you said from there.

No arena sims have this. And this feature is one key reason why I have enjoyed SDOE so much. But imagine - mission format in an arena sim? This would make AH the best, bar none.

------------------
=Hedgehog
=Screamin' Blue Messiahs
http://sbm.warbirds.org