Author Topic: BEE's adventures in the big league (EAW-online)  (Read 2396 times)

JENG

BEE's adventures in the big league (EAW-online)
« on: March 30, 2000, 09:25:00 PM »
I've got a good friend of mine who is realy into EAW (European Air War). I've been trying to pursuade him to come to AH ... but he's not 'biting' yet (maybe use other lure   ).

Anyway he's always ranting on about playing EAW on MS-Zone and Kali so I thought... let's give it a try  

My friend came over, we installed the game on my pc and I gave it a try offline. Pretty nice graphics (bit cartoonish but nice) but padlock (which I hate, just IMO)and an FM that's to say it nicely not realy in the same league as AH   . I tell this to my friend and he goes on like :'wait till you play against human players, they'll beat the living hell outa ya' (right, that's what they do in AH anyway   ).

We logon and go to the zone... We go to the 'experts' room and we start chatting. I tell I'm a newbie in EAW but not in sims... then I continue saying it's a nice sim but the FM looks a bit relaxed (I quickly found out that you can't just say that   I was an instant heretic and made alot of people a bit mad).

A guy calls me a wise bellybutton and invites me for a lesson   . We both pick Ponies for the fight. We start with a clean merge (I dive under) and zoom up while he split-Sed. I dive on him but then he pulls up (a bit like a spit in AH would do, btw pony turns just so easy in EAW) for a Vertical HO. I deny it but have to roll away to avoid the shot... He comes after me I scissor him and kill him in the overshoot. To keep it short... next game I kill him, and again, and again :P (he pulled some pretty need tricks but E-fighting and avoiding the overshoot weren't in his vocabulary).

I'm not that great in AH (not a newbie but certainly not an expert)... but I felt like a God in there (felt pretty nice :cool  

PS1: Think everybody should try EAW on the zone to boost it's ego when he feels down   Now I can come back to AH feeling happy getting killed again  
PS2: I didn't use the padlock because IMO it makes you chase the plane (which inevitaly ends in TnB)
PS3: My friend is now convinced and is going to come to AH  
PS4: Going to the zone for a while realy makes you appreciate the fine community we have here.

------------------
BEE(JENG)
=CO=III/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 "Richthofen"

'Nemo Impune Lacessit'

[This message has been edited by JENG (edited 03-30-2000).]

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2000, 10:21:00 PM »
Great story, pretty darn funny.
Somewhere some 14 yr old is really pissed off at you.    He probably is convinced you were cheating.  Probably even calling you some version of dweeb. heh heh.  WTG

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

JENG

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2000, 10:59:00 PM »
Yeah after 6 times he was callin me something like 'puta de mare'  

Nice to be back even if it was only for a few hours :P

------------------
BEE(JENG)
=CO=III/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 "Richthofen"

'Nemo Impune Lacessit'

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2000, 11:27:00 PM »
Jeng, you can get rid of the padlock and map it similar to AH.  Not bad practice like that.  I get rid of all radar and target lock, go full real and it can be very enjoyable.

JagdNine

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2000, 12:10:00 AM »
I agree with the ego boost part  

Nothing sweeter than going to the MSCombat Sim (sim? HAHAHAHAHAH) and rack up kills till the ammo is gone.

-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2000, 03:05:00 AM »
The thing that is sad to me is that the people playing at the zone etc actually think the FM´s there are realistic  

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2000, 03:28:00 AM »
Bee should quit drinking Tea as it seems that his Tongue seems to swalow more & more (Look at his post).

I was an EAW Fan, untill Heater brought me in  here.....Damn Heater  

Reminds me of a post I put on the Bombs away BB......> If they 'd had guns to shoot at me via a cable, I think they would have done it hehehehe...

Bee, what's the name of your friend ? (I mean his handle when he'll come here...)

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=III/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-31-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2000, 06:32:00 AM »
Nice story  

Sounds like the first time I flew Fighter Ace. I flew E tactics with a 109 till my hand got so tired I had to quit.

Everybody flew TnB even with planes like a P-51 (didn't fly like a Pony, but looked like a Pony).

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Straffo_EAF329

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2000, 07:10:00 AM »
Not all maniac ... not all
But some are too poor to play AH ...snirf  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2000, 09:02:00 AM »
WTG BEE!  Making JG2 proud as usual.  Keep up the good work!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
=CO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

"Experience is a hard teacher because she
gives the test first, the lesson afterwards"

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-31-2000).]

JENG

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2000, 10:45:00 AM »
NineZ:I was already at full realism without the target info... Didn't use padlock (used views like in AH) cause that's what I'm used too and padlock tends to make you chase the plane IE TnB

wraith: Yeah it was realy funny... after that I did a free for all with 5 players... when I entered the statsscreen I had a gunnery percentage about 20% higher then the others (didn't spray and pray :P) Well back to reality in AH  

maniac,straffo: I'm not saying EAW is bogus... it's alot of fun and the FM isn't that bad... but when you've played AH for months it realy does feel a bit easy  

vermillion: Hehehe verm, imagine what a surprise those guys get when they come to AH were not everybody TnBs...   When I started in WB I also felt like a FighterGod... didn't take long for the flyers to show me what a shmuck I was  

SAW: You still ranting on about me Tea are ya    LOL saw I said I suggest you go back to EAW on the zone for just an hour   ... You'll be the EAW GOD!!  

Ripsnort: Hehehehe I should refrain from playing there cause it's going to give me bad habits  

------------------
BEE(JENG)
=CO=III/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 "Richthofen"

'Nemo Impune Lacessit'

[This message has been edited by JENG (edited 03-31-2000).]

funked

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2000, 10:50:00 AM »
Easy on the sim bashing...

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2000, 06:28:00 PM »
After Aces Over Europe, EAW was the next sym I really felt in love with. As usually I flied the full realism, turned and burned in any plane and was happy (btw that practise were the reason for my bad flying here first time). After I found AH I stoped flying anything else, even playing anything else, AH is great as for me. Couple months ago I decided to try EAW again. Once again I put all realism on, limited ammo, etc., and first sortie I killed 5 stuka and 8 109   That was enough for me, I uninstalled EAW from my hard drive. Amen.

The only bad thing in AH, except that people speak English here, not Azeri   is that after playing it all syms are no fun.

FAriz

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2000, 07:55:00 PM »
Well this discussion should be just me. I play AH and EAW about 50/50 online, and enjoy them both.

Don't worry Bee, I don't believe EAW's FM is as real as it can be, but don't believe every EAW pilots is crap and know no ACM, just because you beat the hell out of some guy that was provoked by your taunt.

Unlike AH there is a lot of mixed skill when playing online in EAW. In AH the majority is above average or good pilot, where (at least at Zone) the average pilot is well just that, some real newbies and some great pilots. When a guy wants to try his strengt with flightsims he don't go into online simming at once, but try one of the boxed sims first and later maybe try that sim's online adventures.

I would say I personally know quite a few guys that could give you, and even some of AH's top pilots, another impression of EAW (and especially its pilots).
These EAW pilots would most likely get kicked just as much if they were to try AH, but I think even Eric Hartmann would. It all comes down to getting used to how each games different interpretation of real lifes flight model.
Good sim-pilots know their ACM and just need to get used to how they use them in different games. Some have a steeper learning curve in this way than others.

To Fariz I would say that i actually learned a great deal of E-fighting in EAW, but in AH I get much more into turning. I guess its a combination of often engaging bandits much higher than you and that I just still haven't learned how to master E-fighting here, although I got a good knowledge of how it should be done. (steeper learning curve)

And btw don't compare how many drones you can shoot down to an average online sortie in AH or EAW.

If I would to duel anyone here at AH in a sime of my choice I would pick EAW as the place. I am still more used to how I perform the same acts I try to do in AH, but here they don't work quite as often.

You still got EAW on your harddrive Bee?    

In the end I would like to state like Bee that EAW at Zone is a great morale booster, because there is more newbies, but like I hope I made clear it is just that EAW's crowd is newer to online flight simming and I know who I need to fly with to get a challenge. On the other hand a newbie is always great to encounter be that in EAW or AH  

------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Snefens (edited 03-31-2000).]
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2000, 08:49:00 PM »
Jeng

What Snef said.

What's your mate's name? er...I mean Nick.

Come to Kali server 181 and meet a few of the lads.  I'm sure you'll have a different opinion of the average EAW pilot afterwards.  Mainly because your average squadron member won't blow up at a simple statement about the flight model (btw, which of the 8 or so available were you using?).  Also, we hardly ever fly mayhems, usually a mission of some sort.

Flt Lt Swoop
No 401 RAF
11 Group
EAW Fighter Command