Author Topic: Like all games, AH has rules – finally.  (Read 1142 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Like all games, AH has rules – finally.
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:58:17 PM »
It seems that until very recently, a substantial number of people have been sitting on the AH sidelines, burned out by the deplorable gameplay that has been seen in the MA in recent weeks. Of course, the pork-horde gameplay has been with us for years, and to my mind is far worse on the small maps. That’s why I used to play on the larger maps, and take breaks during small maps weeks. I once suggested that AH needed some form of structure/rules – eg TOD or an RPS, or even some larger maps – anything to break up the late war monster uberplane hordes. But noooooooooooo – came the cry from certain quarters. We can’t have rules in AH. But every game has to have rules. Here’s some examples:
  • Soccer – Back in its earliest days, the players probably positioned one of two of their guys at their opponent’s goal mouth, and then when getting possession in their own half could simply kick the ball forward to one of the men waiting at the goal mouth, who would drive it to the back of the net. That would have been a farce, and so the offside rule came into being, which basically says that while in your opponent’s half of the field, you cannot have the ball kicked to you unless there are at least two defenders in front of you, otherwise you are flagged as offside, and the opposing team is awarded a free kick.
  • Cricket – A rule was implemented to address the deplorable gaming of the game seen in the 1932/33 “Bodyline” series. Bodyline involved the placing of a least five players close in to the batsman and the bowler continually bowling a barage of short pitched balls, these balls would quickly rare up from the pitch placing the batsman in danger of serious injury. To counter these rising deliveries, the batsman would be forced to adopt defensive batting strokes, which would regularly result in catches to the close in fieldsmen. This gaming of the game resulted in a change to the rules by which the fielding side could place only two fielders behind square leg.
  • Tennis – It was found that some closely matched players could draw out a match for many hours because of the requirement that a set be won by at least two games. Thus a set could be won 6-0 or 6-4. But play would continue if the score was 6-5. I remember one match at Wimbledon finishing with a score of 19-17. So to deal with this, the Tie Break rule was introduced.
In Aces High until last week, we had uberplane numerical smashdown/Pork-n-Auger. When AH was first deployed to the masses, there had been no need for any rules – just as there was no 30mph speed limit in my home town 200 years ago.

But times change. It’s naïve to think that a game can go on ad infinitum with the rules that existed five years ago when there were about one fifth of the players. So now we have a self-policing rule which says that if your side has a numerical advantage, your choice of plane will be limited to planes of a lesser ability than the ones you might prefer to fly.

The posts I have seen about this fall into two broad groups: 1) Those who whined immediately at the very thought of having to fly something other than their favourite P51/LA7/YAK9U etc.  2) Those who have been sitting on the sidelines, waiting for the mess to be sorted out and have returned to the game and like what they see. I am in the second group, and I am far from alone.

Some people think that rules are a “restriction on freedom”. People think they are “being controlled” by the new rules. But I see it for what it is – balance. Surely any grown man would quickly tire of the fragfest that existed before the golden moment at which Patch 8 was introduced.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 01:00:21 PM »
The name of the first game is football. :)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 01:02:51 PM »
:aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok

wow...very very well stated

<<>>

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 01:13:59 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
The name of the first game is football. :)
no the name of the ONLY game is Football. the season starts in 21 days.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 01:24:19 PM »
The tie-breaker in Tennis was introduced to satisfy the whines of the people who could not finish watching a match when televised.

John McEnro once played a Davis Cup match that lasted 6-hour-32 minute, which was five-set victory over Mats Wilander in St. Louis 9-7, 6-2, 15-17, 3-6, 8-6. This obviously was before the tie-breaker.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 01:24:58 PM »
Well put, Beetle.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 01:32:34 PM »
good post. im shocked that a brit needed correcting on the soccer/football issue :lol

playing AH for too long and catering the yankee need? :p
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 01:54:57 PM »
Nice:aok

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 02:03:32 PM »
Beetle, I really agree with the base message of your post, But I'm fairly sure you made a mistake when including the Yak in the list of planes not available while on numerically superior side.

I have only seen my current country have the most players 1 time since new patch, but im pretty sure I was able to lift the Yak-U at that time anyway. Perhaps you meant to include the N1k, as it would be a much better example 8). Yak is a great plane, but the extremley limited ammo loadout removes it from the list of Uber rides. I think HTC agrees, isn't yak ENY value at 35?

Learning La5 now anyway, yak holds no bombs

A_Clown

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 03:17:18 PM »
The addition of the 24 second shot clock in basketball was a huge change that literally saved the game.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Re: Like all games, AH has rules – finally.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 03:20:01 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
The posts I have seen about this fall into two broad groups: 1) Those who whined immediately at the very thought of having to fly something other than their favourite P51/LA7/YAK9U etc.  2) Those who have been sitting on the sidelines, waiting for the mess to be sorted out and have returned to the game and like what they see. I am in the second group, and I am far from alone.

No, Sorry, these "RULES" are not normal game rules. Limiting one side from flying the planes they like to fly would be like

1. The NBA telling the 1st place team that their 3 Star players are not allowed to play until the other teams catch up in the standings.

2. NASCAR telling the winning driver of a race that in the next race he has to drive a slower car

3. MLB telling the Yankees that because they keep winning World Series, their salary cap is lowered by 25%.

Rules for sports have to be applied equally to both / all teams in order to be fair.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Like all games, AH has rules – finally.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »
Originally posted by Midnight

3. MLB telling the Yankees that because they keep winning World Series, their salary cap is lowered by 25%.

Um, is there a Salary cap in baseball?

The eny disabler is just the Salary Cap of Aces High.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 03:38:56 PM »
Rules for sports have to be applied equally to both / all teams in order to be fair

I 100% agree, now tell me how the current rule is different for any side or any person. I don't see anything in that rule that is specific to bish, knight or rook. If so could you tell me where?

HiTech

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 03:41:37 PM »
The ENY is not a salary cap, its just saying you can't have 8 teamates on the floor when everyone else has 5.

And if you DO have that many teammates, they have to fly the higher eny planes.

Plenty of heavy hitters there yet to choose from.

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Like all games, AH has rules – finally.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 03:43:44 PM »
Originally posted by Midnight

2. NASCAR telling the winning driver of a race that in the next race he has to drive a slower car

Nascar has regulations on engine / car specifications. It does this to create an equal playing field

Acetnt