Author Topic: Why the Brewster?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Why the Brewster?
« on: August 20, 2004, 12:05:32 AM »
Since I've joined AH I've seen a lot of wishlists for new planes, and one plane that always makes the list is the Brewster.  Now I was reading "Baa Baa Blacksheep" by Pappy Boyington (which is so poorly written it makes my eyes bleed, no offense to the man) and circa mid 1942 he describes the Brewster as a "dud in combat" and mentions that it is inferior to the a6m.  I believe at the time, they were flying the P40B model, and it outperformed the Brewster in all areas according to Boyington.

I was curious to get some history as to why you guys would like this plane in the game.  Seems like it is close to inferior to some of the early war planes that are rarely flown in the MA to date.  This isn't meant to offend any Brewster supporters, just looking for the other side of the coin.

Thanks!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 12:51:09 AM »
It blew.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 01:20:25 AM »
Reason for the Brewster is because of the Super Human finnish pilots tht flew then with not great but awesome success.  Camo has a htread on it.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Regular

• Nickel Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 01:36:33 AM »
I love reading books about Finnish WW2 fighter/bomber stuff.:o

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 01:44:01 AM »
The aircraft of underdogs.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 03:15:32 AM »
What Skull said. ;)

There is a thread (here) about the Brewster that has everything pretty much covered, you might want to take a look at it. It's a long thread (about 7 pages), with both sides of the coin presented..
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 06:43:30 AM »
Everything that the RAF did with the spit & the Hurri.  The poor finns did with the Brewster.

They managed to be at war with both germany & russian in the period, which amazes me to no end.

I don't believe that any major sim has yet modeled it.  Perhaps its time.

Then again I could get a perfectly useable Beufighter instead which would be usable in the arena.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 07:36:59 AM »
"Why the Brewster?"

Because we don't want a Defiant!   ;)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 08:44:46 AM »
Historical scenarios aren't very historical when we have to substitue any given plane for another, because it is not yet modelled.

We need the Brewster if we are ever going to have an accurate as possible historical scenario based on Finland vs Russia and/or Germany.

I mean...look at the Kate (Japanese carrier torpedo plane).  In the Midway scenario we had to use SBDs to "mimick" the Kate because it had not been introduced.  The US pilots complained (and rightly so) that the Kate did not have a forward firing gun, whereas the SBD did.  In this regard it affected the balance within the scenario....although in that one it didn't matter too much because the Americans kicked our hienies.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 10:09:34 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
We need the Brewster if we are ever going to have an accurate as possible historical scenario based on Finland vs Russia and/or Germany.

Or Mayasia/Singapore/Dutch East Indies. The Brewster was the main frontline fighter there with the RAF, RAAF, RNAAF and the Dutch ML-KNIL and MLD. Also, dont forget VMF-221 at Midway. None are huge impacts on the war (like the Finns) but it would be a nice plane to have at any rate.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 10:56:38 AM »
Originally posted by Curval

I mean...look at the Kate (Japanese carrier torpedo plane).  In the Midway scenario we had to use SBDs to "mimick" the Kate because it had not been introduced.  

Even worse: They used the TBF to Mimick the Kate and the Devastator...

I was shot down in my SBD by a "CAP" Kate lol.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 11:07:17 AM »
Sorry Sikboy is right...sort of:

It was the TBM.  ;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Taiaha

• Copper Member
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 11:08:47 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth

I don't believe that any major sim has yet modeled it.  Perhaps its time.

It's modelled in Forgotten Battles.  And if you fly on one of the Finnish servers, like Virtual Pilots, you'll see it being flown with extraordinary skill and living up to its reputation.  Very difficult to take off and land due to stubby fuselage and lots of torque, slow, but turns like a bastage.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 11:15:54 AM by Taiaha »

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
Why the Brewster?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 02:27:15 PM »
They have been asking for it for a long time, I think it is more if a big deal to the european time zone.

storch

Why the Brewster?
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 02:31:41 PM »
Because it is the most successful fighter in all of history with a K/D ratio of like 40:1.   That would be the B239 Buffalo not the F2A Buffalo.  It easily whips the A6M2 in a turnfight if it is modelled properly.