Author Topic: Memories...  (Read 852 times)

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« on: August 20, 2004, 04:13:26 PM »
I've had a Barton 2800 for a while now, but unable to push it very far as the memory was old and slow.

I upgraded my 2 sticks of ddr 256mb to 2 sticks of DDR400 512mb. It arrived while I was online and logged in. I ended shut down the pc and installed the new memory. Went into the bios and pumped things up a good bit. Dialed back in, logged into AH2 and got some of the things on the screen, saw the new MOTD. Map was up, but things were kinda pulsing and flashing. Lines on the map, windows in the tower etc. Got a message within 10 to 15 seconds that said "aceshigh has caused an error in aceshigh.exe, please restart your computer and try again." (close to that anyway)

I closed the message and ah automatically closed. I tried it again and got the same message. So I rebooted. Tried it again. Exact same thing happend. So, I went back into bios and relaxed things a bit and tried again. This time it locked up. No message, no CTD, just locked up. No alt/tab, no alt/f4, no ctrl/alt/del. Punch the power button. reboot.

So now I go back in and relax things abit more. Same lockup.

Went to AH2 offline and adjusted the video settings a bit. I set the check mark to load the textures in ?system memory?. left the texture size at 512 as it has been. Tried it in offline mode. All works well. Upped a 163 real quick, shot down  pyro I think crashed into another staff member and still no lockup.

Redialed, logged in, went to the tower and locked up. No message, no nuttin.

I'm going to install the patch that I just found and try it all again. Maybe tone the clock speed down somemore or something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Memories...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 05:00:27 PM »
Let the motherboard BIOS detect the ram settings "By SPD".  See if that helps.

What brand/make/model motherboard and ram?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 07:44:23 PM »
motherboard is:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

Ram is:
crucial DDRAM 512mb 64x64 PC-3200b 8T
2 sticks same stuff.

I've tried lots of different settings with no help. I did get online in the training arena, upped a 38 went to v base, rolled in and let loose some rockets. About 3 explosions later I got the ah error message and it all folded up. Tried Ozkansas offline and got in the tower. Checked out some skins in the hanger, picked one and tried to up. I did get on the runway, looked right and Got the message. Adjusted settings and tried again a few more times, same, got the message.

I've scaled everything back to what it was with the old memory in and it still doesn't work.

I tried Call of Duty game to see if that worked, and it did. It varied from extremely smooth to extremely choppy going as far as what seemed like 2 fps for a bit. When I got near a water fall it got choppy.

I'll try a few more things then maybe swap back LOL

will try the SPD thing first.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 07:57:56 PM by Lizard3 »

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 06:03:55 AM »
No help so far. I jiggled and joggled just about every setting that may make a difference and it seems better, but dies after a bit.

Call of duty does it. Most everything eventually goes black except freindlies, enemies and equipment.

Combat missions screwes up as well. Loose the task bar at the bottom and get memory errors.

:OE : 0028 : Coo12D2C
and
NTKERN(01) +0000A265 ERROR OE: 0028 : C002A375

I have gotten online in training and dueling arenas. After one mission or so I get the error message or it just locks up.

Who'd a thunk getting twice as much and faster memory would cause so many problems.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Memories...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 08:52:09 AM »
Ok Lizard, that is the same motherboard I was experimenting with and also happened to use Crucial memory.

I had an Athlon 3200+ XP.

I could duplicate the problem and had to do the following:

1)  Make sure you have BIOS 1009 loaded.  It has some fixes for memory timings.
2)  I cleared the CMOS completely.
3)  In the BIOS setup, I left everything stock and changed the "Memory" setting from "Auto" to "By SPD".  The "Auto" memory timings are too agressive for the Crucial sticks.

After doing that the system was completely stable running Aces High II.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 12:58:21 PM »
Cool! I'll try that. Any tips for loading a new bios? Hehe, thats one of the things I could never seem to get to work right :D

Clearing the cmos is shorting those 2 posts out right?

Thanks again.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 02:06:53 PM »
Hey Skuz,

Is that 1009 a beta? I didn't see it on the ASUS website. Its probably not for my board anyway. Mines a 1.04 version, old...
I'll get back with you in a day or two and let ya know how it went.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Memories...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 07:42:30 AM »
Lizard, install the ASUS Updater.  It will allow you to install new BIOS's while in Windows.  It will also show what BIOS's are available and what BIOS you have loaded.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 06:16:59 PM »
Skuzzinator,

First: Thanks for all the help.

I finally figured out that the updater was on my CD and loaded it up. No download available on the web.

Intalled it and fired it up. It updated itself LOL. It was about 3 versions out of date. Next: Tried everything under the friggin sun to get it to update my bios but it clunks up whatever I try. Spent 30 minutes watching it try to connect to the only server that has bios's. It connects/disconnects reputedly for 10 seconds or so, then just sits there for 30 seconds or so. No modem activity, then tries again.

I do have the latest version posted on the ASUS website for the version board I have, and will go from there. I've downloaded a bunch of updated drivers for the board and that may fix the memory problems. We'll see.

If you could maybe you could email me the 1009 bios (cubelizard at earthlinkdotnet)

While looking around at some troubleshooting sites I read about some beta bios's out there namely 1010, 1011 and 1012. Seems 1012 is pretty stable. The other 2 have trouble accessing the setup using the del key...

Again thanks for the help.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 11:50:59 AM »
I got it good enough to hang in the training arena for 20 minutes or more, but the MA doesn't work for more than 5 and that if I stay in the tower. If I hit the hanger at a feild thats smokin or near flying aircraft it boots me out. I get big flashes of white squares, then it settles down for a minute.  As soon as I head for the hanger I get the flashes again and it gives me the error message. The white squares are on top of objects like the sun, bombs in the hanger etc.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Memories...
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 12:45:24 PM »
Lizard, that really sounds like heat or power related issues.  The flashing white squares is a clue.

What is the CPU temperature after immediately exiting Aces High?  They usually are about 10 degrees (F) hotter than when at idle.
What kind of power supply do you have in that system (make/brand/wattage)?
Also, is the CPU unlocked?  Or are you overclocking it using the FSB?  Have you tried to just clear the CMOS and run with power up defaults?

I do not have a copy of the 1009 BIOS as the motherboard I have already has it installed.  I think I can save it as a file.  I'll try tonight.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 01:31:07 PM »
The 1008  is the latest official BIOS for the A7N8X DELUXE.  I would avoid Betas.  The 1010 is the latest for the non-Deluxe version .

I emailed you both BIOS 1008 for the original and version 2 board.  Make sure you use the right one and follow instructions carefully.

I would use the Nforce Unified Motherboard Drivers.  The latest for XP is below.  I am still using the 4.24 package.  Just say NO when it asks if you want to install the Nforce IDE driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.27
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 01:38:57 PM by DAVENRINO »
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Memories...
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 01:53:43 PM »
That's odd Davenrino.  The ASUS updater is showing 1009 as the latest non-beta available and my motherboard came with 1009.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 02:12:54 PM »
Skuzz, its UNDERclocked. Its a 2800+ thats clocking in at Athlon 2200 speeds.

I've been all over the spectrum, but right now its 133 x12.5 or 1662

I've "underclocked" the memory as well, its at 160 v.s. the 200 at best "SPD".

Thats the thing, when I got the memory I thought I could run it like it should be run. That was why I'm so suprised it coughed up hairballs.

I try and go back to the old memory and just see if it will work.

If I remember correctly, it was running at 133 x 12 and memory at 150.

Power supply is an Eagle 300w

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Memories...
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 02:13:57 PM »
Oh yeah, Dave, I'm still using Winders ME

hehe