Author Topic: Furballers -vs- Timid Pilots  (Read 8554 times)

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Furballers -vs- Timid Pilots
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2004, 06:30:20 PM »
My only problem is the guys who do nothing but HO attacks. Earlier today, I was rammed by a Hurricane 2D, and about 15 minutes later, the same thing happened to me, but the guy was flying a Dora.

These were two different people, mind you, neither one of them attempted to shoot me. I had tried to turn away, but they wouldn't let up.

Head-on collisions without an attempt to shoot. That's a steaming pile of fun.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2004, 08:29:20 PM »
Good post Wotan, my sentiments exactly. And props for not calling them wussies.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 08:34:25 PM »
There is a squad that flies in PAC time that define timid in my mind.  Fly 190's 51's and F4u's around at 20K , never engage 1-1 , usually won't engage 2-1 , will only occasionally come down to cherry pick if the target is seriously involved with other cons.

I've been in a hog and come across 2 of them co-alt co-e (190 and f4U) - they both dived and ran for the nearest field ack - hilarious.

As a rough generalization there are basically 3 ways to fly , timid, tactically sensible, and reckless.  I'm usually 2 or 3 but I just can't see the point of 1.

Someone needs to come up with one of those quizzes   ;)

What sort of pilot are you ?

Q1.   At the first sign of a lone enemy con flying Co-alt do you ....

A . Quickly pan through you views - oh oh , where's all my friends , damn where's the nearest field ack , I'm miles away, hmm this could be risky , dive dive dive ...wait ....... can I risk one quick HO before I go ... yeah why not....

B.  Think , great a possibility of a fight , wonder what he's flying. How much E have I got , let's get some speed ....hope no-one turns up to spoil the fight... In In In

C.  In In In ......
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 08:42:18 PM by Redd »
I come from a land downunder

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2004, 08:56:35 PM »
Not all "furballers" feel the same way, but it depends on the situation. I know for myself and many of my squaddies, we get really frustrated when we are forced to fly over 4K and go after you guys hanging up there waiting to cherry-pick. :D ... Thing is, we (i'm speaking generally) acknowledge that the plane hanging up high is flying smart and we, if alone and in a BnZ airframe, would do the same thing IF we wanted to fly "smart". Our squad is famous for NOT flying "smart"..  We fly to have fun.. period. Not wanting to die is realistic... no reason to hammer on someone that flys like it matters, thats the way it REALLY was!

Blah blah blah..
:aok
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2004, 09:14:25 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
The funny thing about this, is that most of the veteran pilots also fly timid, when the situation requires them to do so.

Sure, they say how they never back away from a fight and how they can manage a so-called "BnZ" plane in angles fight.. except I've never seen them do that when the odds look bad.

So what usually happens is when they see a one vs one opportunity they'd bravely (and admirably) engage the enemy in an exciting battle. But when things start to look bad, they don't hesitate to run away.

They call it "SA" - except the unfortunate thing is when other, lesser pilots also use their own "SA" to run from a fight it's branded as cowardice.

I mean, for instance, I know I'm a sucky pilot. So what's a sucky pilot gotta do in a situation he feels that he cannot win? Should he stay around and get shot down, and offer the enemy a chance to gloat? Is that the "right way" of flying?  

Or is this "SA" stuff something of a double standard?

Considering you accused me of flying "timidly" in the Spit14 thread ... I'd say it's a double standard yes.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2004, 09:32:32 PM »
I enjoy both "Air Quake" and "MA Survivor" styles of gameplay. However I have noticed that the Air Quakers are the only ones whining about different gameplay preferences. AH allows for many styles of fighting, if you enjoy furballing does it really matter whether you get killed by a 400 mph B&Z'er or a fellow furballer on your six? It's not like you're likely to survive anyhow.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 09:36:57 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Chortle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2004, 10:23:35 PM »
Timid/BnZ whatever you like to call them, need furballers to BnZ, they cant BnZ each other. Furballers dont need BnZ's, being totally self-sufficient.

Put two BnZ's co-alt, and they cancel each other out unless they engage, i.e. become furballers.

So, to recap, BnZ's cant exist without Furballers but Furballers can exist without BnZ's. If we follow this to it's logical conclusion, if everyone became BnZ's then HTC would go bust and we'd all go off and play the Sims Livin Large.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2004, 10:38:49 PM »
That is a fallacy. If what you say is true then WWII air combat would have been impossible. Everybody flew "timidly" in real life. You see ... they only had one life.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2004, 11:14:44 PM »
I do whatever gives me the greatest chance of destoying an enemy aircraft without being destroyed myself. Sometime  that's BnZ, sometimes it's TnB. depends totally on the plane match-ups and the situation.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2004, 11:15:21 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
That is a fallacy. If what you say is true then WWII air combat would have been impossible. Everybody flew "timidly" in real life. You see ... they only had one life.

I  think that is the point , a true simulation of air combat as it was would be incredibly boring. Hours and hours of flying around seeing no-one - and then a 3 second engagement where you live or die depending on who saw who first.

There are guys in the game who actually seem to enjoy simulating this experience ,  good luck to them.

Personally I never bother to taunt, whine or anything else on the radio channels when I come across these types, but it does bemuse me that they get their kicks that way.
I come from a land downunder

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2004, 11:24:59 PM »
Whatever floats your boat. I enjoy pretty much everything aviation related. Flying to survive is more of a chess match, doing everything in your power to achieve any advantage you can get before merging with the enemy. If you encounter a like-minded pilot it can be great fun that lasts for many minutes before any shots are fired.

Other days I just Air Quake for a quick fix of dogfighting.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2004, 11:47:11 PM »
Originally posted by Redd
Someone needs to come up with one of those quizzes   ;)

What sort of pilot are you ?

Q1.   At the first sign of a lone enemy con flying Co-alt do you ....

A . Quickly pan through you views - oh oh , where's all my friends , damn where's the nearest field ack , I'm miles away, hmm this could be risky , dive dive dive ...wait ....... can I risk one quick HO before I go ... yeah why not....

B.  Think , great a possibility of a fight , wonder what he's flying. How much E have I got , let's get some speed ....hope no-one turns up to spoil the fight... In In In

C.  In In In ......

B

Edit: However I do check around to see if he has any friends that might show up at a very inconvenient moment. And I always plan my escape just in case.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 11:49:38 PM by GScholz »

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2004, 02:35:53 AM »
One thing, don’t confuse what folks are saying. You can have fun any way you want. Just don’t expect other folks to share your view and be prepared for the comments that will inevitably follow.

One thing that has changed in AH is that folks take "mocking" and friendly exchanges of taunting personally. In past I remember only Karnak throwing a fit that some folks referred to spit pilots as "spit dweebs". Now say spit dweeb and 4 guys will run to the bbs with a thread entitled "Am I a dweeb for flying a spit?" Well the answer is of course you are, we all are.

It's getting to the point just calling some one an allied farm boi opportunist is enough to get a lawsuit slapped on you.

There is fun in the “hate” but if you can’t take it for what it is I would suggest that you turn off Opera and Dr. Phil and butch up a little.

I used to mock folks all the time; all in an attempt to get them to come back mad. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. Now folks rush to the bbs "Mommy they picked on me".

So what if some one thinks you are timid or what ever, it’s up to you to find your fun. As I said above just get some thicker skin.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 02:57:37 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
There is fun in the “hate” but if you can’t take it for what it is I would suggest that you turn off Opera and Dr. Phil and butch up a little.
I used to mock folks all the time; all in an attempt to get them to come back mad. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. Now folks rush to the bbs "Mommy they picked on me".
So what if some one thinks you are timid or what ever, it’s up to you to find your fun. As I said above just get some thicker skin.

ding! ding! ding!  and we have a weiner!!!

it helps if fragile-ego'd milquetoasts keep it all in context of "the game."  i don't care if you're bill gates, stephen hawkings or the school janitor - if you suck in the game, i'll say so. i want you mad/embarrassed/motivated enough to get better.  and if u ask nicely, i might even help.

:aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2004, 03:12:20 AM »
^ Did anybody else see the irony in that one?

Anyway, I like to mix it up. I prefer using a plane to it's advantages, such as BnZ with 190's, turn fighting with La's, and E fighting with 109's/Spits.

I can't stand the people who whine about "timid pilots" who won't turn fight all the time. I do, however, side with the anti-HO crowd, because I've been rammed 3 times by dweebs who didn't even attempt to shoot first :mad: .