Author Topic: Furballers -vs- Timid Pilots  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Furballers -vs- Timid Pilots
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2004, 08:56:39 AM »
Poor Stang? wtf?  :confused:

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2004, 09:07:12 AM »
Slapshot/Stang - just found an old film with Stang and me both flying for the rooks in the same group engagement. I might even post it. But for now, all I've got to say is ---> Poor Stang  and a very smug ->

huh ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2004, 11:19:08 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
You only wish you could fly the Hog like Stang does.
Erm... Having just had another look at that film, I'd stick with my own methods! :aok Stang seems to be flying around, doing a lot of sightseeing, turns away when a high Spit approaches, eventually chases after it in a 3v1 (I was one of the other 2 - lol), misses, recovers, does a bit more sightseeing only to get cherrypicked by WMKubwak in a P51.

Back on topic - I flew with regard to my plane's limitations, and my own limitations (quite a list! - lol). My goal in general (as it was on this occasion) was to help out the guys around me as best I could, but to do what I could to safeguard our base, in this case a CV. My reason for being there was not for personal aggrandisement, or to see how well I could turnfight a hog against a Spit. I missed a Spit, but didn't feel bad - this was in the AH1 "yank-the-stick-as-hard-as-you-can-and-it'll-be-all-right" days... Often when defending a CV, I'd use a CHog and go after the incoming buffs - very high risk of course. On this occasion I realised I'd upped a DHog instead of a CHog, so didn't try for the B17 formation that was buzzing around.

So I don't think timidity comes into it. I enjoyed flying for the overall battle. A personal duel within that scenario was never what I was looking for. That's what the DA is for.

Originally posted by Stang

I really think the key is to be as aggressive as you possibly can be.  If you have a hole or a shot, TAKE IT.  Don't wuss around and wait for the guy to be engaged and then try to cherry pick him.  Get in there and kill him before your friends arrive.  That drives them nuts and gets you a high kill tally.  I love hearing other guys over local vox saying, "Another damn assist"  while I'm racking them up because I get in there as hard as I can.  I'm not saying go in full bore to the death, but if you can do something, why not do it?  Taking chances is the spice of life in AH.  Target drones are readilly available and free to shoot at for those not willing to make the leap.  I can't tell you how many times in the last few days I've run into guys even in 1 on 1's who make a lazy ho attempt then just run in a shallow dive.  If it ever occurred to them to pull a quick immelman and try to get above and behind me I might be beside myself with joy.  Hell I might even just sit there, let em kill me and yell a quick WTG! over ch 200 to them for actually showing some skills.  

Oh, btw Beetle, I've flown the hog a lot this camp, something feels better about her so I've logged some hours... you can ride the edge in that thing like crazy with the maneuvering flaps and still keep the E to get out when you have too.  I think I had a ton of success in it because my opponent wasn't expecting me to do anything aggressive with it... and by then's it's to late for the chap    :D

I wonder why he wouldn't think a hog can't get down and dirty...
What a ride tho! a BEAST!

LOL Stang!!!! Do you ever watch films of yourself, after you come out with crap like the above? What a crock! I read that after I watched the film, and I almost p*ssed my pants! :lol It's another of those "You say one thing and you do another" threads. My shelf of maroons is getting quite crowded!

I think I'll post that film... I'll just edit the voxx (for swearing etc., and clutter from another channel) and then you can see for yourself! Sorry you got whacked. The film has a happy ending though - I landed my 7 kills. :p

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2004, 09:24:42 AM »
Geeesh !!!

Why are we dragging this stuff up from August ? I don't understand ... you had your chance then, to make whatever point it is you are trying to make. You don't even play anymore, which makes it even more comical. Why participate on the BBS and threads like this when you aren't an active participant in the game ? ... looks kinda foolish.

I have met both you and Stang while in F-4Us (me in a Spit V) and only 1 fight broke out ... that was the fight that I had with Stang ... the encounter that I had with you ... all I saw was the backside of your F-4U running to the CV ack.

Typical of you to find one incident, on one film, to back up some sort of nonsense.

Bottom line ... I still stand behind what I said ... You only wish you could fly the F-4U like Stang does ... operative word here is "fly".
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2004, 09:54:40 AM »
Oh Slapshot! I knew you wouldn't disappoint me...

Originally posted by SlapShot
Why are we dragging this stuff up from August ? I don't understand ... you had your chance then, to make whatever point it is you are trying to make. You don't even play anymore, which makes it even more comical.
Because it was stang who revived this thread, almost 3 months after Ack-ack's last posting, not me. And I WAS playing last August.
I have met both you and Stang while in F-4Us (me in a Spit V) and only 1 fight broke out ... that was the fight that I had with Stang ... the encounter that I had with you ... all I saw was the backside of your F-4U running to the CV ack.
Oh yeah? Up till August we had both been flying on the same side, therefore no fights possible. And yet you seem to have a very vivid recollection of this incident even today. But how could you know it was me? The only way you could prove that would be by film review after the event. So why don't you post that film? Maybe because you can't find it? Maybe because it doesn't exist? Maybe because... you lied?
Typical of you to find one incident, on one film, to back up some sort of nonsense.
It's no nonsense, and it's one more film than you can come up with. Stang swanned around with three wingmen, but made no attempt to head towards the enemy field to push them back. Still, flying's kinda hard when you're dead. :lol
Bottom line ... I still stand behind what I said ... You only wish you could fly the F-4U like Stang does ... operative word here is "fly".
Oh sure... watch the film and say that. :lol Does your assessment of flying prowess include sprouting wings at the shoulders and carrying a harp? :rofl

Hahahaha!! Gotta love it when the moguls of makebelieve have to take a bow to the fiefdom of film fact. :D

What a pair of maroons! :lol

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2004, 10:05:49 AM »
There is only one maroon in this thread, and he is flying the Union Jack.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2004, 10:14:25 AM »
Originally posted by ccvi
kills/hour is no indication of the number of fights/hour, it's just won fights/hour. for fights/hour you need to also include the deaths/hour, e.g. fights/hour = k/h / (k/d) + k/h.

I calculated this for some arbitrary players (fighter scores only, tour 57):

shane    16.19
dipstick 14.11
slapshot 12.95
stang    12.04
ccvi     10.70
nopoop   10.87
canaris   9.94
urchin    9.80
TC        8.80
akak      8.13

low means more timid flying :p
(or longer flights to the fight)

the gig is up, I am Timid , dang can not fool ya'll any longer :p
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2004, 11:41:13 AM »
Slapshot! You're not even on the ropes - you're on the canvas already? Sheesh... that was like Cassius Clay v. Sonny Liston in 1964.

Oh well, I'll just have to join the timidity debate!

I always thought of kills per hour as a measure of how BUSY someone is, not how GOOD they are. And I can prove it too -

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2004, 12:19:48 PM »
Beet ... I am not gonna joust with ya ... waste of time ... you havent proven watermelon ... never have ... never will.

Oh ... you want us to believe that 16.9 is A2A ... LOL ... WTG on all the GV kills ... :rofl
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2004, 12:26:05 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Slapshot! You're not even on the ropes - you're on the canvas already? Sheesh... that was like Cassius Clay v. Sonny Liston in 1964.

Oh well, I'll just have to join the timidity debate!

I always thought of kills per hour as a measure of how BUSY someone is, not how GOOD they are. And I can prove it too -

Based on your points, I would say 1 or 2 runs vulching?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: November 26, 2004, 01:08:24 PM »
Originally posted by ccvi
jb33      9.27
jb42      8.56
jb01      8.09
jb11      7.88
jb22      7.81
jb35      7.40
jb28      6.31
jb77      6.26
jb07      6.12
jb17      5.95
jb82      3.22
just what exactly are those numbers / where are they from?
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2004, 01:14:27 PM »
Beetle = EuroLaz

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2004, 01:28:58 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Based on your points, I would say 1 or 2 runs vulching?
Nope. If it was the tour I'm thinking of, one sortie was a 10 kill job - 3 buff formations and a fighter. Then more buffs came in...
Beet ... I am not gonna joust with ya ... waste of time ... you havent proven watermelon ... never have ... never will.
Slapshot - a film is proof - no matter how much you would sometimes prefer otherwise. :D No, no GV kills in that time. But please... continue with your fantasy/makebelieve while I dig the film out. Then you'll be able to put a bucket over your head, say "I don't want to hear this", hum loudly in a tenor voice, and fumble your way around for a minute or two... like the guy in that US car commercial from way back when. :lol

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #178 on: November 26, 2004, 01:35:05 PM »
Originally posted by JB73
just what exactly are those numbers / where are they from?

see further above. tour 57, calculated by (k/h) / (k/d) + k/h (which equals d/h + k/h, which is an estimation for fights / hour).

edit: I'm sorry i forgot to calculate yours.
jb73   10.42
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 01:38:42 PM by ccvi »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2004, 01:51:41 PM »
ccvi

since you came up with this calculation of yours so you can thump your chest and say you are more agressive then all the others you have listed why not entertain me with a few matches so I can see how awesomely agressive you indeed fly, sir? what ya say?

I have never claimed to be any good, I do not thump my chest profusely infront of the malee here and I have no clue why you would inclued me in such a comparison...

definition of arbitrary:
Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle

I take it since you chose to include was not by necessity, reason or principle you was apparently having an impulse to say that you are more agressive then anyone you listed below you in that comparison.............becare ful of whom you lay judgement upon ;)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC