Author Topic: So what can the N1K2-J do? Here you go.  (Read 426 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
So what can the N1K2-J do? Here you go.
« on: October 27, 1999, 08:10:00 AM »
I noticed last night that alot of people were asking about the performance characteristics of the N1K2-J George or "Niki" for short. How does it climb? Is it fast? How does it compare to a Pony in turns? All good questions.

Well, I have some performance graphs on my website that may he clear up the N1K2's (and other aircraft in AH's) relative  performance for some people.

In trying to compare performances, substitute the 109K4's performance for the 109G10. The 109G in these graphs are for the earlier 109G6.

Links (one example below):
Late-Mid War Pacific Theater Aircraft: F4U-1, A6M5, F6F, Ki-84, N1K2, P38J, P-47D, P51D
        Climb Rate vs. Altitude
        Indicated Airspeed vs. Altitude
        Sustained Turn Rate vs. Altitude

Mid War Russian Front Aircraft:  Fw190A4, Me-110C4, Me-109F, Me-109G, Fw-190A8, La-5N, Yak-9
        Climb Rate vs. Altitude

Late War European Theater Aircraft:  Me-109G, Me-109K4, Fw-190A8, Fw-190D9, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire Mk IX, Me-262
        Climb Rate vs. Altitude

NOTE: These graphs are screenshots taken from the original AW2 Box set. These graphs were constructed from orignal NASM and NACA data, and not from the games flightmodels. They may or may not represent exact flight characteristics in AH, and are simple useful for comparing general performance characteristics between aircraft. It should also be noted that these performances are for lightly loaded aircraft in the clean condition. In other words if you load up the aircraft with more weight (fuel, rockets, bombs) performance will degrade.

------------------
Vermillion
AH's: verm, **MOL**
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
AW: Verm, ACCS

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 10-27-1999).]

aircat

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 1999, 09:28:00 AM »
Verm,
the N1K1 is used not the N1K2 in the charts

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 1999, 09:32:00 AM »
Aircat its a misprint.

Long ago, when they originally announced the plane in AW, it was called the N1K1, until it was found that the performance data that they had was actually for the N1K2.

Don't ask me how, when, where or why, but I have had it confirmed from the highest sources that the data is for the N1K2.

------------------
Vermillion

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 1999, 10:21:00 AM »
Vermillion;

Extremely good post, Well Done!

I did not have alot of time last night to fly or fight against the NiKi, but here is my take.

Fighting it:  

You better decide very quickly if you have any angle or E advantage before starting a DF.  More than 90 degrees or less E, maybe better to disengage at max range (spelled - IMA DOT).  This plane has devastating fire power, head on merges are suicide.  

I killed 2 Niki's, but each time my aspect was 90 degrees or less when I engaged, roughly Co-E.  My Spit easily stayed at the elbow or I maintiained a good enough position to counter any verticle moves.

I was shot down 3 times by Niki's, flying in my Spit (UberSpit - as the taunt goes   ). All 3 times the Niki had a healthy E advantage, so it is hard to evaluate this completely.

The first was a partial miss on the 1st pass, but half my damage entrees turned red.  This guy made 3 passes on me to finally finnish me off.  The fight started with this guy on my six, I made my first break at D-2.5 .  I wanted to try and get him to turn, see if I could stall him in the canyons.  LOL, no luck at this, he was a smart cooky.  (I WAS peddling my little heart out   )

The other 2 kills were "No Ping" one pass kills, and were at 180 aspect.  Bag it Munch Boy  , I just blew up.  I did not see any tracers, but my Net connection was bad last night.  

WATCH your lead turn young UberSpit, for death looms near.  It comes with the sound of Thunder and strikes with split tongue Lightning.

IMO this plane will cause major strategy changes to the current arena, or you can justly become, "Banthar Fodder".  

Flying it:

The first thing you notice is that it has really nice windows.  Visibility was really good, particularly in the rear views.  Did the British ever catch on to this idea with their Spits?  Nice to see what is behind you.

It trimmed nicely, might be still a Beta thing, but the 100-250 IAS changes for aileron trim seemed MUCH less.  Comparing this to a Spit or P51.

I had great success performing Hammer Head verticle turns, it pivots nicely on the wing tip (left). This baby really hangs by the prop! Kicking the rudder at 80-100 IAS the transistion to vertical dive is quite controlable.  It does not want to "flop" over to a wings level attitude nearly as bad, not requiring much aileron input.

Pulling out of vertical dives was also impressive, beats the Spit here.  The Spit just wants to black you out.  Exciting to pull out at 400+ IAS and see the woolballs on the Sheepy's.

Mino

-floo-

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 1999, 10:41:00 AM »
My one and only fight while flying a Nik showed me that it can seriousy out turn a p51. I caughtone trying to do a high yo-yo on me and as he came down I set up for a high angle snapshot. I saw three hits on him and the poor guys wing fell right off. My opinion of the Nik...it can turn AND it has a punch!  

Guess I'll have to see more action to REALLY see what it can do though

-floo- fangs out

------------------
333rd Red Dawgs
JG 5 Eismeer

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 1999, 11:39:00 AM »
My opinion on N1K2 is bit negative, it is very great looking and even did increase my FPS(!!!) to standable levels, but it is way too easy plane I say.

- Forget things below if you dont want to read reasons   -

4x20mm, easy flight characterics, considerable fast, very good T&B plane, has nice amount of fuel... but wait a minute, im getting the picture, if I can get 7 kills in sortie with P133 and still have ammo left, without any special flying tricks, im afraid what it can do in hands of everyone.
N1K2 doesn't really seem to require skills to fly it, so it's perfect plane to jump into fight where is planes fightning with low energy and ruin whole fight  

I am always bit negative against japanese planes if they seem to be nearly perfect, they simply can ruin the fight even if its just driven by some skilless pilot.

Ps. I wish we get new graphics on other planes as well, would greatly increase FPS  

funked

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 1999, 11:42:00 AM »
It's gonna be a dweebmobile.  

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 1999, 12:09:00 PM »
Agreed, just like a WB Hurri II but 50mph faster.

--ra--

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 1999, 12:19:00 PM »
You guys are all right, its an outstanding airplane. Nice all arounder.

I will make a bet tho.

In 2 months, once the newness wears off, I bet you will see very few N1K2's in the sky, and they will be either new people or experten in them.

Why? Because while it is certainly a capable ride, its not the best in anything, and its not a glamorous or well known ride.

People just haven't grown up hearing about a Kawanishi N1K2 "George". It certainly doesn't compare to legendary names like Spitfires, Focke-Wulfs, Mustangs, Thunderbolts, Messerschmitts, Zero's, and Lightnings.

You may laugh, but the plane is just as capable in AW, and its flown only by a few.

PS: I was one of those few, so I guess I am truely a dweeb.

PPS: Expect me to fly in here as my ride of choice, so I am doubley a dweeb.

------------------
Vermillion

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 1999, 12:21:00 PM »
Can someone please explain the meaning/origins of this "dweeb" crap?

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 1999, 12:34:00 PM »
Fishu;

I thought about your ideas and along the same lines after reading your post.

I realize this is Beta and the plane will be modified as time goes on.

Heck, I even got it airborne with ease, with a de-functly calibrated joystick.

Juzz;

Not sure of the origin of Dweeb.  But for its foundation, it is of one group of individuals considering themselves superior over another group of individuals.  Much like the word Dork.  Or for that matter like many racial, geographic, or religous nickmaimes.

Basically, if you GET shot down more than you SHOOT down, you are a Dweeb.  Or if you know very little about a Sim game and / or planes you are a Dweeb.

I know, I am one.    

Mino

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 10-27-1999).]

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 1999, 12:56:00 PM »
Finally a plane with 4 20s. Now we have a plane where one doesn't have to bother his head with all the fancy ACM technical stuff. Cause quite frankly, ACM is only gonna take you so far when you have 4v1 or worse odds.

I won last night a 4v1 fight where Spitfire and a N1K2 were coming from my high six and 2 N1K2s were coming from my high twelve roughly at the same time. No ammount of ACM is gonna get you out of a mess like that, if you can't finish off the enemy with the first shot you get.

More on the guns' lethality, I had 186 ( 64 used, 16/kill ) rounds left on one sortie and had 4 kills already. I don't think I survived ever long enough to spend all ammo to see how many kills I could get though, going into fights like above with rather poor odds.

IMO at the moment this is the most brutal plane in AH. Plane with which shooting becomes as important or perhaps even more important than ACM. And that's the kind of planes I like.

//fats

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 1999, 01:10:00 PM »
Vert,  i'm looking at other portions of your site..  somewhat suprized about climb rates for late war planes...

Spit 9 climbing better then 190D and 109K ?
I understand that those are AW figures, but can you back them up with historical evidence ?

Thanks
fd

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 1999, 01:29:00 PM »
fd-Ski :

Sorry to say, all I have are the charts themselves.

When I put my website together way back when (2 years ago), I got an email from Kesmai asking that I document the source of the charts themselves, and I heartily complied (I had a reference but they wanted a more visible one).

But this lead to several extended e-mail discussions, concerning their origin, where the data came from, and how they were put together.

Now this was with "Jay", and I have forgotten which Jay it was, but at the time (if my memory serves me correcty) there were two Jay's at Kesmai, one of them Jay Littman, who is now at WB's.

But thats the story, sorry I don't have more.

------------------
Vermillion

Offline Brazos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 1999, 01:34:00 PM »
I'll have to try it. In AW the Niki was a wing ripper, causing you to very careful when B&Zing. Will it rip em in AH?