Author Topic: So what can the N1K2-J do? Here you go.  (Read 427 times)

funked

So what can the N1K2-J do? Here you go.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 1999, 02:48:00 PM »
Juzz:  Thou knowest not the secrets of Dweebery?  Taketh thine unwashed arse to the following linke and purify thineself forthwith!
 http://www.nitro.co.za/warbirds/BoD.html

Short version:  
Dweeb - One who has no skill or one who succeeds without using skill.  
Dweeb Plane - A plane that even a dweeb can do well in.

Shorter version:
Dweeb - Everybody but me.
Dweeb Plane - Anything I'm not flying right now.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-27-1999).]

-kier-

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 1999, 02:54:00 PM »
Speaking as one who likes Japanese and German aircraft, and who is quite tired of seeing all the Spitfires, I will be in the George. A lot.  

CombatWombat

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 1999, 03:41:00 PM »
Sure the George seems like the best thing out there now, but just wait a little while and it will sink into mediocrity.  Once structural limits are modeled that thing will pull wings right off, and sooner or later we'll have wulfies and corsairs that can outrun it easy and take some punishment from the 20's.
CW:  pictures Niki on receieving end of 4 20mm cannons + machineguns fired from 190A8.... *drool*

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 1999, 12:53:00 PM »
Verm,

The reason it isnt flown in AW much anymore is that it is truly not an uberplane there.  There are plenty of Pac planes i would prefer to fly (and I am a FR vet there...its all I ever fly in AW).  The Nik cant turn with a Ki or a F6 and doesnt have the climb to keep up with an F4 which will rope it.  It has some nice guns and speed and thats it.  

Seems to me that the Nik here DOES have a good low speed turn rate.  Granted I am still a dweeb here in AH but I entered a dogfite with a low and slow NIk in my spit and found him almost outturning me.  We went through a number of revolutions and that Nik was able to turn with me.  

Yes it could just be the fact that Im still a dweeb but come on now.  Even I know how to yank and bank!

-Ding

funked

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 1999, 01:19:00 PM »
"Once structural limits are modeled that thing will pull wings right off"

Wombat, there's no factual basis for that.  Maybe it's like that in another sim, but there's nothing about the real George that suggests that would happen.

"and sooner or later we'll have wulfies and corsairs that can outrun it easy and take some punishment from the 20's."

Again, refer to the flight test data.  It's not a slow plane at arena altitudes.

funked

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 1999, 01:44:00 PM »
Is it just me or does the legend on the those late war Euro charts not match the data?  There are colors on the legend that don't have a data trace on the chart, but there are 8 traces and 8 colors on the legend.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 1999, 10:40:00 AM »
Funked thats because I had to use HyperSnaps (at that time "new") feature of taking D3D screenshots, and it sometimes did funking things to the colors, if you look at the charts you can pretty much deduce what the "strange" colored lines actually are.

Sorry bout that.

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 1999, 10:45:00 AM »
Oh and Curly your right to a certain point  

The N1K2 isn't an uberplane. Its just a plane that has nice characteristics in several category's (all the important ones to me).

It isn't the fastest, it can not climb the best, and it can't outturn the true TnB planes.

BUT it is fast, it does climb well, and it can turn excellently for a plane of its size and weight, and has excellent guns.

There is almost always a superior characteristics to whatever you are fighting.

Its just a good all arounder (like a P-38) that takes experience to know which attribute to exploit depending on what your engaged against.

An excellent aircraft, but not an uberplane.

PS:   It does outclimb and outtrun and F4U-1 at below 15000 ft, and if yah want I will prove it too yah, plus it accelerates MUCH faster <G>.

Cya old friend

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,

funked

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 1999, 11:08:00 AM »
Thx Vermillion.  Looks like those guys tested a sick Me 109K-4 if those traces are right.  Everything else looks pretty good though.  Fw 190D-9 climb looks too high, but the speed looks too slow - nowhere near what the RAE got.