Author Topic: Track IR in Aces High  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2004, 11:48:57 AM »
Originally posted by jetb123
LOL I will pass for a couple of months. I liek using the keyboard anyway. :P

Hey, you never know.  Maybe the old man will get hit by a large truck again.  ;) j/k

Okay...maybe a very stupid question but:

How do you change from pan to snap mode?  Is this done in AH or in the TIR software?

Also, I was REALLY hoping that I could program the page up/page down button to my hat on my j/s so that I could use it to change my head position in a dogfight to get a better view over the top of the "dashboard".  It would be a huge advantage on snapshots etc IMHO.  It would also be nice for carrier landings.  

Is this not possible?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2004, 12:20:26 PM »
You can get 15 off through SimHQ or Netwings, or atleast you could at one time.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2004, 12:24:30 PM »
Both are posible:
Map the snap/pan/move mode to tracker under
Setup/Controls/Keyboard Map/View

There Four tracker functions that should be mapded Ctrl F1 - Ctrl F4

You do not need to map your hat to a key just go into

Setup/Controls/Joystick Map/View and map move up and move down directly to a hat.

HiTech

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2004, 12:28:53 PM »
Thanks alot Hitech.

:aok
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2004, 12:56:06 PM »
Originally posted by jetb123
How much is this track IR thing?Seems fun.

info here

http://www.naturalpoint.com/banners/aces_aug2004.html
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2004, 08:33:26 AM »
Okay...I tried to map the move up/move down to a j/s hat.  I did so when I had my j/s profile loaded AND when track IR was running.

Blue screen of death.

Serious error and it said a file was corrupt.

oooops.

I haven't dared try anything yet to see if my machine is okay...so far it rebooted and I am able to get online and post here.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2004, 08:39:12 AM »
Can anyone comment on whether Track IR3 Pro is worth the extra $35 over Track IR 3 when used in AH on a PC of "modest" specification.

Further being some what of an old man these days does anyone get a stiff neck having to hold their head in various positions to work with this product.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2004, 08:52:10 AM »
Yup it is, however you may search ebay for trackir 2.

The TrackIR 3-Pro™ is NaturalPoint®'s premium product, the best optical headtracking system available. Blazing along at a refresh rate of 120fps, TrackIR3-Pro™ is 50% faster than the TrackIR 3™ (80fps), and 4 times faster than a standard WebCam (30fps). Based on a new image processor, TrackIR 3-Pro™ has 67% more resolution and improved optical performance that allows it to work in direct sunlight, delivering a performance difference that will rock your view! TrackIR 3-Pro™ is the best optical headtracker that money can buy.

With trackIR 2 I had to pull the shade down on the window directly behind my PC. I didnt have to sit in the dark just direct sunlight would cause it to loose track.

TrackIr 3 doesnt have that problem.  Thats the only difference I noticed between 3pro and 2.

Also, you only make small head movements. The trick is be be at about arms length from the device and set a decent deadband so you dont have to sit like you have a neck colar on. Then adjust the pan speed.

Then just sit comfortably. You wont be whipping your head around. Personally I find that leaning slightly while my head stays relatively straight works best for me.

As I said above I believe by going through SimHQ or Netwings you can save 15 USD on TrackIR3 pro.

If Tom (wklink) is still around maybe he can confirm.

If fact here's a post he made a while back

I think that if there appears to be a large enough of a potential following for the TIR3 then you may be able to get a discount.

Right now there is a 15 dollar discount via SimHq. Check the front page. If a different ad is on the front page when you fire up the web page just reload the page and the ad will come up.

Here is a direct link.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/banners/simhqjuly2004.html

Thomas S. Cofield
332nd Flying Mongrels
Feature Editor, SimHq.com
cofster1@simhq.com

Dunno if its still valid...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 08:57:09 AM by Wotan »

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2004, 08:53:11 AM »
i am also interested in seeing the benefits of the pro version, soposedly it updates a bit faster, but when its already past 25 fps im not sure why that matters.  As far as the stiff neck goes, i had that the first day too, the trick is to move your head around in the range of what used to be your snap views, a good way to do this is to keep a reference point in the center of the screen and never turn head so that it goes out of site, when it does use body to control it so you dont wear out your neck. you dont really have to keep your neck that stick because as long as your gunsite is in view it doesnt matter if its in the center of the screen or not. Imagine your in a real plane shooting someone, you may point your head down and look up with your eyes a bit because your focused, you would rarely have the gunsite in dead center, as long as your eyes can track it comfertabley you just have to have a head position that allows them to do so. i do have to hold my head steady when they are in my gunsites, despite where the site is on the screen, and it does take some energy, but this just makes imersion that much better, you can bet those reall pilots had to do so.

have you noticed that if you shine light on your face it will pick up on the tracking set up screen? i didnt realize this is actualy a camera that gives out visual feedback. it simplifies everything down to 2 tone for the most part, and if you get a shape on your head that mirrors the dot on your forhead it will track that. i was kinda spooked when i saw a malovent face staring back at me . :)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2004, 11:03:44 AM »
Thanks .........sorry if this answered elsewhere but more questions.......

I understand it is basically to replace the POV by exagerating pre set small head movements to either pan or snap as a POV would with those functions set.

I understand that a dead zone can be set to stabalise it........

can it be damped also?

I understand that under AH we can also have it imitated move as per the keyboard curser PU and PD keys..........

can it do both the POV bit and the move bit at the same time?

ie can I view and position my head in the cockpit moving back to see a greater field of view or forward to get a close up of the gun sight whilst then checking over a wing etc etc

and if so is move and POV available in snap and pan modes of the POV?

and can you drink coffee/beer  and eat crisps etc whilst playing and using this system?
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2004, 11:36:40 AM »
damped = smoothing = yes

I no longer have AH2 installed so I can't tell you the details of how it has works in AH.

From reading over at the track Ir forums they are awfully happy with how it worked out in AH.

I drink beer all the time while flying FB/AEP and using track IR :p

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2004, 01:13:49 PM »
Tilt

In Pan and SNAP mode you get the best of both worlds.. your saved head positions!

In MOve mode, you use Your JS to obtain the view, and then the Tir to move around in the view.  For instance, you can look around the engine cowling etc...up, down left or right.

Hope that helps.

Balsy

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2004, 06:39:03 PM »
I have been using TrackIR for a few eeks now thanks to the discount offered through AH :D

To be honset HT i dont know that there is any advantage to TrackIR because of the way you had given us the ability to move our heads and save the view. This has spoiled me as a FS and believe it is and will always be the 1 aspect thats sets AH apart from other CS.

On the other hand i truely love my TrackIR for other CS and am very glad that i bought it. Curvel map a button on your joystick to turn on /off trackIR so when you get in a fight you can turn it off nd go back to your old views. I have found this to be the best way to do it while im getting use to it. I to am still playing with my profile but believe im getting pretty close to a keeper.:cool:

I did call TrackIR other day and i guess there is a AH profile floating around that one of the guys from Naturalpoint made, ya might wanna look for it on there site.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 06:41:14 PM by Misfit »

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2004, 06:43:10 PM »
o ya there is a forum over at Naturalpoint for us AH guys, we need to help each other out while we brake new ground;)

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2004, 06:45:12 PM »
I didnt notice a difference in snap and pan, will do more testing.