Author Topic: Track IR in Aces High  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Track IR in Aces High
« on: August 26, 2004, 07:35:00 AM »
I have just started to try and use this wonderful new technology.

It requires me to bascally relearn how to fly and fight at the same time.

Why is that?

Well, after quite a bit of practicing gunnery etc offline I took up a plane in the MA.

My views were all over the place.

After a while I had to really concentrate to figure out why it is so tough.  Eventually I figured it out.

When I flew previously I simply did not keep my head still.  It is obvious now that when in a rolling scissors, for example, I was always subconsciously moving my head to get a better view (while using snap view on my joystick hat).  Obviously this didn't actually help me....the view is what it is, and only movement of the aircraft expanded that view...not any head movement.  But, I did it anyway.

Now I realise that I litterally have to retrain myself to keep my head as still as possible and move it ONLY when I want to look around.

It isn't something that is going to be simple, but in the long run I think it will be fantastic.

Until that time I'm gonna get killed alot.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 07:46:40 AM »
You can create a deadband in the forward view area to allow more accurrate aiming. This wont you wont have to sit like you have a neck colar on.

Some folks click it off to fire. Dont be afraid about recentering often. Little bits of body english that you use but may be unaware of while fighting can throw off your center.

Adjust the pan speed to a point where you are comfortable.

Also learn not to "turn your head" but lean.

I have been using track IR for a long time. I would not fly any game that didnt have.

I dont fly AH anymore and dont have an AH profile. Maybe some of the other folks can share their profile with you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 07:48:51 AM by Wotan »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 07:54:32 AM »
Body English....that is what I was trying to say is my downfall.  I use ALOT of it subconsciously.

When you say you can "set up" a deadband, exactly how is this done?

A squaddie posted some screen shots of his set-up which I have emulated but I still need a bigger one (deadzone).
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 08:00:14 AM »
I dont recall from memory. When I get home this evening I will post after I take a look at it.

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 08:57:58 AM »
Does AH2 work well yet with track IR or is there some complicated work around to get it to function usefully?

IKON

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 09:10:43 AM »
How many track ir users have tried the snap instead of pan mode?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 09:27:46 AM »
Originally posted by 1K0N
Does AH2 work well yet with track IR or is there some complicated work around to get it to function usefully?

IKON

Works great...plug it in and it works.

Hitech...haven't tried it yet, but that would probably defeat the whole purpose of switching from hats on a j/s to track ir.

What I mean by that is that the pan mode allows the pilot to see in between the snap views...the views that you cannot see when you "snap".  Maybe I'm missing something and I haven't tried it yet...but I'm interested to hear why you think the snap mode is beneficial.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 09:33:22 AM »
Curval:

1. It gives you a dead band for everywhere you are looking.

2. It works more like real life. When you are normaly looking around you typicly do not slowy move your eyes, but rather dart them from point to point. This is more like the snap mode.

3. Steadys the gun sight postion.

Would realy like some people to give it a real try. I.E. for 2 days, then see if they have the same opionion.

HiTech

Offline Crashy

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 09:34:10 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
How many track ir users have tried the snap instead of pan mode?

I use snap. Both actually...I'll use pan while going from one field to another. Once I get close to contested area I switch to snap.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 09:46:21 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Curval:

1. It gives you a dead band for everywhere you are looking.

2. It works more like real life. When you are normaly looking around you typicly do not slowy move your eyes, but rather dart them from point to point. This is more like the snap mode.

3. Steadys the gun sight postion.

Would realy like some people to give it a real try. I.E. for 2 days, then see if they have the same opionion.

HiTech

Will do then.

I agree with the realism aspect of snap views...except realistically one can make subtle adjustments after darting to one specific point.

I will try it though and will let you know.

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 10:12:40 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
Works great...plug it in and it works.

Hitech...haven't tried it yet, but that would probably defeat the whole purpose of switching from hats on a j/s to track ir.

What I mean by that is that the pan mode allows the pilot to see in between the snap views...the views that you cannot see when you "snap".  Maybe I'm missing something and I haven't tried it yet...but I'm interested to hear why you think the snap mode is beneficial.

Good, I will order Track ir now!

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 10:56:58 AM »
SOunds fun!  I wanna know how you turn your head all the way around to ck 6?? lol

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 11:00:13 AM »
Originally posted by TheDudeDVant
SOunds fun!  I wanna know how you turn your head all the way around to ck 6?? lol

Nah..I thought the same thing.  You just turn your head about 5-10 degrees and you are looking back.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 11:02:30 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
Nah..I thought the same thing.  You just turn your head about 5-10 degrees and you are looking back.

and only 2-5degs for left or right? lil less for quarters?

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Track IR in Aces High
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 11:05:55 AM »
Hitech, I found that using the snap view mode (which I started out in) left me asking myself why I was bothering with TIR. If all I am doing is transferring view inputs from my JS to my noggin, than I didnt find much utility in having it.

I use PAN exclusively with a sizable deadband for the front view (I utilize edberts profile posted on naturalpoints messageboard). Not losing view of a plane between views is the greatest benefit of pan view.  I can smoothly watch as the enemy turns, jinks etc.. and respond immediately versus, changing views, reorienting myself, and then flying the airplane.

To smoothly track an opponent, and "fly" the plane into a solution seems much more attactive a use for TIR.  I flew in snap view for my entire flight simulator career, so it is where I naturally started out with TIR and AHII.

Breaking the snap view habit isnt easy, but the benefits far outweigh the frustration.

Balsy