Author Topic: So... why was channel 1 removed?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
So... why was channel 1 removed?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 02:58:19 PM »
Bring back channel 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tabasco

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 02:59:45 PM »
The thing I like about channel 200 is that it doesn't show up in films if you're not tuned to it, whereas the channel 1 garbage always appeared in the films whether it was squelched or not.

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 03:02:52 PM »
There's no need for cursing on any channel. In fact thats only good reason I can see for muting someone. Muting someone who throws a hissy fit without cursing is ridiculous. They're fun to read.

I agree to most of that. But when 2 or 3 guys are whining over and over and over again about the same ole dribble crap. Then I would agree to mute them. (They've stated thier opinions about 100 times and that crap gets old fast.) I have no problem with some smack talk on CH 200. Most is in good fun and like you said is fun to watch. But some of these guys carry it to far and/or they carry on whining way to long, which gets anoying.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 03:06:59 PM »
Fair enough.

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 03:53:56 PM »
difference is that in CHEERS they where not shooting each other, or even hunting themselves, so to compare is not valid.

I certainly do not want to Salute my adversary, I wanna kill em with a passion.

all the rest is for limp wristed dweebs.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 03:57:14 PM »
Slo: Your talking about the game side, not the social side, unless you meen your would realy like to kill the people you "PLAY" with?

HiTech

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2004, 04:39:04 PM »
HiTech I for one thank you for getting rid of channel 1 and putting in channel 200 as an alternative. I have a 9 year old daughter (almost 10 now) that loves to watch me play Aces High. She reads the text buffer faster than I do. Many, many times the content on channel 1 was NOT appropriate for children. When people mask their cursing (ie misspelling it to get it past the filter) she still knew what they meant. She may be only 9 but she is far from ignorant.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2004, 04:51:29 PM »
Elfie, im sort of curious about 2 things. Do you tune to 200 stll? And how do you stop her from reading country text, or hearing vox?

A_Clown

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2004, 05:07:34 PM »
I dont tune to 200 ever and I turn the sound completely down if she is watching and their is a problem on vox that is unresolvable. Usually if someone is swearing on vox I kindly ask them to stop and let them know that a 9 year old girl is listening.

Just mentioning a 9 yr old girl usually gets an apology and the swearing stops. When I get no results the sound goes off :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2004, 07:39:42 PM »
>>Best way I can describe it is that it should be like a cheers bar, not a wild west, shootem up, drag out fight and cussing style bar.<<

Fair enough, but then the Cheers gang had ace writers. I mean Norm could just look at Cliff in a certain way and it would be entertaining. The only point I'm making, if its not outright obnoxious or trying belittle/bully someone, I see no problem with "spirited" interaction - it does pass the time while alting. "Waaaaa" or "sheeep" or "you fly like a granny" (no offense any granny pilots) is certainly no reason to be muting people.

But I do see the point - cursing or not, getting in someones face shouldn't be allowed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 07:42:33 PM by opus »

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2004, 08:06:23 PM »
All channel 1 needed was more moderators and a 'speak softly, carry a big stick' attitude from HTC.  Heck, they've done it on the boards already...

Now, they have eliminated a good community building tool, even a bad game can last MUCH longer when there is a good community onboard (and I'm not saying AH is bad). Worse yet, it hasn't helped, range is just as bad as channel 1 ever was. For example, couple of weeks ago a pair of subcribers were chatting about having 'relations' with their wives with rather colorful and descriptive adjectives.

On the more whimsical side, can you imagine the AH Cons in a couple of years?

"Who are you? Oh, I don't know you, I flew for the Rooks."
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2004, 08:22:35 PM »
I want to know why rod367 has two men embracing for an avatar.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2004, 08:24:14 PM »
Originally posted by Drunky
I want to know why rod367 has two men embracing for an avatar.
 Me to makes me sick just looking at it.:(

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2004, 08:27:11 PM »
I'd haveto agree. The whole point in getting rid of channel one was to get the ..poo poo off of channel 1 which  players had no choice but to look at.
So the players decided to use channel 200 to converce between countries.

I didnt care one way or the other about channle 1 or what was said on it. But I could understand those who had complaints and the logic behind removing it altogether.
But

Didnt have to be a fortune telller to figure out that the previous trash  that was going on on channel 1 would move to channel 200 which has to be manually switched to.
In short you have a choice to look  at the nonsence or not.
Human moderators on channel 1 is silly and unneeded inko.
Particularly if youhave the auto mod.
Human Mod should worry more about whats being said on country channels and local vox then whats going on on channels the players have to manually choose to see it or not.
But thats just my view

Originally posted by Seeker
I agree 50/50.

The whole point of tuning to Ch200 is that it's voluntary. In this context I agree with you, Urchin; it should be "open house".

OTH; I think compulsory channels should be quite tightly monitored; especialy as HTC don't seem too keen on either a perma squelch list nor the ability to squelch range ch.

I miss AW's AWARS. they weren't just monitors; they were helpers; and helped in no small way to shape the AW community; a community that kept very old and buggy software going well past it's sale-by date.  

Having some one around with a big stick and a bigger smile isn't always bad for a community.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2004, 08:35:23 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Slo: Your talking about the game side, not the social side, unless you meen your would realy like to kill the people you "PLAY" with?

HiTech

heh "kill" may be a strong term but, there have been moments.
llmao
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty