Author Topic: So... why was channel 1 removed?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
So... why was channel 1 removed?
« on: August 27, 2004, 01:37:42 PM »
I honestly fail to see the reasoning behind it.  Any game that is competitive in nature is going to involve exchanges of words that aren't friendly.  If you don't want us to tell some ***** in another country that he is flying like a *****, disable all channels from 200 up.  

It makes very little sense to me to say "Well, channel 1 was a cesspool that was by default accessible to everyone, so I'm going to close it" and then send the anonymous girl scout moderators over to channel 200 to mute people for talking.  Channel 200 isn't available to everyone by default, you have to TUNE to it.  So if the intent was to squelch anything other than "Oh man, that was some FANTASTIC running!  And the way you reversed when your 5 buddies jumped in!  Tactical brilliance!" then you'd be better off removing any way for players of different countries to talk to each other.  

As it is, having anonymous girlscouts moderating a player chosen channel for inter-country communication seems somewhat heavy-handed.  There is already a "profanity filter" that catches everything on any channel other than the squad channel.  If whatever is going over ch 200 gets past that, then some testosterone deprived twerp shouldn't be squelching people just because "he" doesn't like what they have to say.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 01:42:10 PM »
You can tune to it by hitting alt-f4.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 01:46:20 PM »
Urchin If you feel moderator was wrong.  screen shoot text and his responce. Then send to DALE or skuzzy.

Only seen one time where I thought moderator was wrong, For the most part they have tough jobs.

Everytime a moderator acts it is put into a log. So whole story is available to Hitech.

Putting soap box away now....................:)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 01:50:55 PM »
Oh, I've only got a problem with one moderator.  Or perhaps more accurately, only one moderator has a problem with me.  Doesn't matter if I think s/he is wrong, I just think it is stupid to have an automated filter to catch language, then have a girlscout watching whatever gets through the filter muting someone "just because".  I don't think Ch 200 should be moderated at all, besides the filter, else it'd be best just to remove any inter-country communication completely.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 02:01:19 PM »
I don't think Ch 200 should be moderated at all, besides the filter, else it'd be best just to remove any inter-country communication completely.

I would tend to agree with this ... but the problem is that when someone gets their nips tweaked, their diarrheal verbal diatribe continues on for quite some time, you need someone to say ...

enuff is enuff ... ya said your peace ... now shutup or be shutup.

I have tried, and not being a moderator, it did no good.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 02:05:05 PM »
personally the insults and taunts and smack talking were part of the fun and what gave the game energy. especially while climbing out to altitude to get to the fight.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 02:25:50 PM »
I agree 50/50.

The whole point of tuning to Ch200 is that it's voluntary. In this context I agree with you, Urchin; it should be "open house".

OTH; I think compulsory channels should be quite tightly monitored; especialy as HTC don't seem too keen on either a perma squelch list nor the ability to squelch range ch.

I miss AW's AWARS. they weren't just monitors; they were helpers; and helped in no small way to shape the AW community; a community that kept very old and buggy software going well past it's sale-by date.  

Having some one around with a big stick and a bigger smile isn't always bad for a community.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 02:28:41 PM »
I have no problems with ch200. If I dont want to hear it I detune. RANGE is another story.

~AoM~

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 02:29:34 PM »
I believe moderators are not supposed to moderate normal talking. Just those that go alittle over fence and need a reminder that being mindful of children that watch or play are in game.

before you say then those with children should not tune 200.  They have just as much rights as you........

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 02:36:48 PM »
Originally posted by rod367th
I believe moderators are not supposed to moderate normal talking. Just those that go alittle over fence and need a reminder that being mindful of children that watch or play are in game.

hmm....do we have a definition for what the AH community declares normal talking? :D

btw...I can not remember if FA or WB had moderators, or if wwiionline or  TK/TR have them but  I think it is a good decision to have moderators/helpers/or as some call them game police  in the arenas, as long as they stick to a code of ethics and don't just pick on the people they don't like.  

In AW, if a GA or an AWAR went over board or abused his or her powers in anyway they were reprimanded and sometimes even put on probation...if it happened more than a few times they were ejected from the volunteer staff....if my memory serves me correctly......
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 02:42:11 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 02:39:31 PM »
There's no need for cursing on any channel. In fact thats only good reason I can see for muting someone. Muting someone who throws a hissy fit without cursing is ridiculous. They're fun to read.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 02:45:35 PM »
First it is not just about profanity.

1. There are many things not acceptible in an open channel discussion. Everything from just being obnoxsious by spaming the channel. To heated arguments between 2 people , that only they realy want to hear.

None ot that stuff can be managed with out some sort of monitor.

2. Channel 200 is still not a free for all, it is just a common meeting place. Best way I can describe it is that it should be like a cheers bar, not a wild west, shootem up, drag out fight and cussing style bar. And the difference from channel 1 is that with channel 200 you choose to walk into cheers, even if clif claven is stitting there.  Now some might think the also want the low class bar in AH, but I don't want any of my costomers to be treated by the undertaker (i.e. leave because of an argument), even thow some might think it is cool to do the killing.

When ever you have a large group of people there will be people who make trouble. Since that is just a given, there has to be some way deal with them. Monitors is our way of dealing with them.

HiTech

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 02:46:59 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I would tend to agree with this ... but the problem is that when someone gets their nips tweaked, their diarrheal verbal diatribe continues on for quite some time, you need someone to say ...

lol...he said "nips tweaked".
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 02:47:29 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Channel 200 is still not a free for all, it is just a common meeting place. Best way I can describe it is that it should be like a cheers bar, not a wild west, shootem up, drag out fight and cussing style bar

HiTech

haha i like that :D sig material methinks!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 02:55:19 PM »
Channel 200 is still not a free for all, it is just a common meeting place. Best way I can describe it is that it should be like a cheers bar, not a wild west, shootem up, drag out fight and cussing style bar.
Very well put.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure