Author Topic: Any old Air Warriors out there?????  (Read 153010 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Any old Air Warriors out there?????
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2004, 09:37:28 PM »
Originally posted by eh

....did you know the P38 J in Warbirds flies exactly as it did in Air Warrior? And it looks like they use the same basic flight model for the P38F and L also. Anyway, good to see you are still active!

The P-38L in here pretty much flies just like the P-38J in RR AW, no joke.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2004, 12:15:15 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
The P-38L in here pretty much flies just like the P-38J in RR AW, no joke.

ack-ack

Cept for that vicious inaccurate nose down accelerated stall that snaps into an instant maple-seed spin.

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2004, 12:31:33 AM »
In my experience, the 38J in AW was way more nimble with 4 notches of flaps, and if you hit 300 before going into a fight, you could perform a double immelman with it. Boy that maneuver got lots of kills.It was the consummate low E fighter in AW (next to the Zero or the Ki 43), and if you could learn to handle it with 60 degrees of flaps at 100 mph or less you were king of the hill. Also, dropping flaps caused the nose to go UP if you were vertical. That got you many a kill at close to stall speeds. It also allowed you to loop at very low speeds, to hang from your props for what seemed an eternity, and to get a ROC of more than 2 at 75mph going straight up, practically. I saw +dead+ do that in one of his films ... awesome.

The L in Aces High is good at hauling ordinance and delivering it, but it can't dance as it does in AW or WB. At least, it won't dance with me. :(  

Actually, for me, it flies like a brick encased in cement, and the flaps are not nearly as effective and very dangerous... if they are still down when I try to come out of an immel, the nose stays down and the Lightning becomes a lawn dart. Maybe it's me... but I find it so different than the 38 in AW (or any of them in WB) that it's a big puzzle. Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2004, 01:31:20 AM »
How's it going eh, eh?

I have to agree with akak to a point.  The ruleset on when and  what you can do aginst particular planes are different, as is how (in the way control surfaces) you get it to do what you want.

That said, Ive had near stall speed loop fights with spits that have gone 20+ concecutive revolutions.  Ive hung on my flaps climbing roc 2.5 at ridiculously slow speeds watching that la7 400yds away realising he cant nose up to me, looking for an exit strategy.
Just looking at some personal stats for this tour.
N1K2  21:1
SeaFire  10:1
Ki-84-Ia  10:1
Spitfire Mk IX  11:3
P-51D  12:4
La-7  19:6
80% of my flights are P38L
The boards are littered with 38 tips just from the 479th squad alone.  There are also 38 films in our Library
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 01:46:01 AM by Murdr »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2004, 01:44:53 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Other than hemmoroids, and higher blood pressure, the most I got out of AW were the friends Ive met, and many I still see in here. I hope to play many more years with all of ya!

Well said.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2004, 01:45:34 AM »
In AW the 38 I was either no flaps, or full. With full flaps u could "float" vert, hang and drop back down on the guy. Its hard to compare here because there was no HOs in AW to speak of, and Im sure if there were we'd have flown a lil differently.

The KI84 was the best floater in there. You didnt fly it, more like guided it thru the fight. Very lil stick input. Eventually all the planes felt the same save the P47, which was a pig. Low merge wep, double immel,full flaps when I hit 100, and float thru the fight, trying to stay nose up longer than the other guy. Cutting throttle and loadin da ruddah to let him pass in front of yer guns to get a deflection.

~AoM~

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2004, 01:55:35 AM »
I'm showing my age...

I flew AW back in the days it was on Genie (anybody remember that???) - when the planes were just plain polygon shapes (maybe like 10-12 polygons!!) with no color but a solid tan paintjob that sorta-kinda resembled the different planes especially if you squinted enough.

My how far we have come!

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2004, 02:05:30 AM »
Originally posted by dtango
I'm showing my age...

I flew AW back in the days it was on Genie (anybody remember that???) - ...
[/B]

You mean GrEednie.

Offline ATC

• Zinc Member
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »
Kevin!!!   It is me ATC.  Hope all is well.  Give me a call 303-423-2466, email  f1isbest@aol.com

-> ATC
widowmakers AW

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2005, 01:33:40 PM »
OD
I was Str58 and then Strider of the Cactus Air Force. I flew AW4W, and all other variations after that; RR for the first month or so and FR all the time after that in B-Land unless the sides needed evening out in FR.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 01:37:13 PM by Don »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2005, 04:49:05 PM »
My roomate was slider and flew AW for the damnd back in 87-88?? He used to let me use his account since I didn't have a PC untill 91. I started flying AWII during the online beta with my own account and PC as bustr. I flew "C" land. I remember Leviathin's ID was deadf during that beta. Untill 99 I flew RR mostly as "bustr", "bust_r", and MDuce. I flew with the Thunder Riders in AW2 and AW3 RR. I think we were the only squad who could fly 12 Mossie's NOE for 4 sectors, then auger at the same moment into the enemy feild. I tried FR in the big PAC AW3, but I kept ripping my wings off. I was always one of those players flying in the background no one talked to. I always liked the Gra Sha wars past the big mountain and across the river on the small europe map.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
AW CPID
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2005, 09:47:26 AM »
Mine was CWA
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: AW CPID
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2005, 12:26:55 PM »
Originally posted by TalonX
Mine was CWA

Wow, blast from the past!

~S~ sir :)

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline RedBeard

• Copper Member
Re: Any old Air Warriors out there?????
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2005, 08:50:38 PM »
This is setting the wayback mahine a bit, but...

#5111 - GEnie
arbe -  AOL

Red Beard
CO of 666th Internet Daemons

I had one of the mid '90s Con banners in my office until last year, just burned a CD archive of the old CACTUS AirWarrior site files, and still hold an original of the following that I look through occaisionally:

And since it seems appropriate with the recent net problems, here's one of DoK's old quotes

"Thank you GEnie ... vile, seeping pile of phlegm that you are."

Some things never change.

Btw, Jazzman is flying with me too, usually Fri or Sat nights.  Might be nice to get a vintage pilot night going at some point for all us old farts whose arms are too short to reach the stick when we sit back far enough to focus on the screen.

RB

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2005, 09:26:36 PM »
Hi Redbeard. Long time. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."