Author Topic: CT needs more pilots...  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2004, 04:41:28 PM »
Good to know some still go back in Sept. They have all been back for a few weeks here.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2004, 05:59:25 PM »
Originally posted by jamusta
Alot of times I come in the CT to find the same gamey tactics. I have seen vets not change sides to balance numbers. There is still the ganging, running, ack hiding milkrunning, parking the ships off shore and the cherrypicking. I dont mind getting picked off in a furball but there have been multiple times when I have been low and slow truning 1v1 just to have the fight interrupted. I expect these things in the MA but to go to the CT and see this is very dissapointing.

People in the CT switch all the time to balance numbers. When you get F4Us in a Pacific setting once in a "blue moon" (ptp) and your squadron full of VF-17 "Jolly Roger" fanatics starts getting a reputation for being pretty good Zeke drivers that should say something.

As far as the rest is concerned ... why should it keep you from flying in the CT? Not only is it pretty much an integral part of Aces High by design, if it's already practiced in the MA then there's absolutely no reason for it to be a disappointment in the CT.

Don't get me wrong ... everyone enjoys a good 1v1 fight. But to expect it in any arena other than the dueling one isn't a realistic expectation.

Now .... I'll say this. I have pilots on both sides ask me if I have a fight under control or if I would like help all the time in the CT. It happens alot. More than in the MA. Granted, my answer is generally the same no matter if I think I've got the fight won or not. Hop on in. If I see two guys going at it, occasionally I'll ask ... sometimes I won't. Sometimes I'll see an ally smoking and I come in to play cavalry. Sometimes I pull it off. Sometimes it ends up making me someone's second kill. But saving another pilot who's in trouble on your side is also part of what alot of players in this game find fun .... both in the MA and the CT. Using any means neccesary to get yourself out of trouble is also fine.

And it's a common enough practice throughout the AH community for it not to be a valid reason for players not wanting to fly in the CT. Granted, you said it's what turns you off, personally. And even others have mentioned it. But it's never been a very realistic expectation in my opinion, so to make it a reason to not fly in the Combat Theater just comes off as an excuse that bears little merit to me.

Milk running ... fleet parking ... again - integral parts of Aces High that cannot be stopped short of disabling fleets and bombers - actually - make that ordinance in general. Not a realistic gripe and not a valid reason to prefer the MA over the CT.

None of that was ever .... ever .... supposed to be the defining differences between the two arenas. The game will be played the way it was designed to be played.

BUT! You have a greater chance of asking players to stop doing certain activities you personally find disgusting and getting them to cooperate with you in the CT then you ever will in the MA. No .... not 100% chance .... but significantly greater than in resetopia.

So ... I don't find actual substance in your argument. I'm sorry. Still, I'm glad you aired it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 06:03:12 PM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2004, 06:02:02 PM »
buttons buttons

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2004, 06:30:54 PM »
We even have one squad who's entire mission (besides having fun) is to switch to even sides.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2004, 06:37:40 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
We even have one squad who's entire mission (besides having fun) is to switch to even sides.

make that *two*

:aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2004, 08:25:42 PM »
Originally posted by Sable
So since we're talking about WW2 immersion, here's another question.  Do people need to be able to capture fields all the time?

Our last two setups have been '41 and '43 ETO and there wasn't any base capture going on during either period.  Do we really need to let the Germans capture dover, or the Brits take Calais?  I agree with TheBeeg's statement above that those kind of things hurt immersion.  

On the other hand, is the field capture dynamic of the game a "make or break" option for players in the CT?  Will people stop playing in the CT if they can't capture a base?

Yet another area I have been whinning about for a long time. Base capture really has no place in the CT but there really is nothing wrong with it. The problem lies in the fact that the CT usualy has the theme for the week. There should be maps where field captures are a part of the theme. There has always been a problem with guys capturing bases in England. Again, there really is not much of a problem with it if the CT Staff would reset the arena for prime time playing. You dont see the CT staff much.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2004, 08:27:38 PM »
Once again no one is trying to turn this into a minin MA it is a mini MA. If you read my post you would see why losing dar isnt a real issue in the MA. THE CT DOES NOT HAVE THE NUMBERS TO NOT HAVE DAR!!!!!  The set ups in the CT are great I just dont want to waste 30 minutes to find a fight.  So I will check it out tonight and if it is as they say then I would ask the squad if they want to come into the CT for ops nights or whatever.

If it takes you 30 minutes to find a fight, you dont need to be in the CT. Use your head and think, you WILL find a fight. If you cant find a fight, there is not one there to be had!

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2004, 08:28:38 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Current CT setting for DAR (and has been for past two weeks) is FULL RADAR. FULL - EVERYTHING.   Unless the pilot wants to fly below dar as NOE, if he's above the height, he should appear on dar.

Point#2 - full friendly has been enabled for almost a year now. You see your friendly pilots all the time.  If you see a bee-hive of friendlies, maybe, just maybe there might be enemy forces close by.:D

Here is an example of using your head...DUH!!!! Think damnnit think!

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2004, 08:30:59 PM »
Tried that was close to enemy field. Only one problem, friendlies were ganging 4 to 1 already so no fun there. I didnt want to make it 5 on 1.

Another example of using your head. This guy takes off from a field somewere, find out where and go to him, I asure you he will thank you for it! You might get lucky and get four to one odds in thier favor!

Dont be a 2D pilot in a 3D flight sim "Stream14"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 08:33:55 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2004, 08:49:46 PM »
My ideal CT arena is what I perceive the new game which as I recall was to be named Tour of Duty.  What's up with that?  

I've returned to AH2 after being absent for two years during which I slowly rose to the rank of Oberst in what I consider to be another excellent Sim #2.  Unfortunately I guess I got a bit bored with the yellow nosed Emil and the occassional Franz that only came around when the brass hats in the OberKommando der WTF? became willing to take away some tanks from the flat feet infantry and armor types.  I'm glad I did because I love the "look and feel" of the new flight model and the CT Arena.

My ideal CT would use the great new FM from Aces High II,  sim #2's 3D Terrain (Jeezus I laugh at the trees in here but they don't drain fps much do they?), AH's vox system which you ungrateful swine have no idea how superior it is to anything else out there, a  historically based rolling plane set like Sim #3,  Military Structure like Sim #2 but I would add virtual firing squads for anyone who didn't follow orders or yelled "there's the MOFO instead of "Indianer, Indianer" or "Tally-Ho", lifelong enlistment in one side or the other with appropriate tatooing, a realistic environment where you don't watermelon chat with the enemy you just kill 'em all and let God sort them out, skies that look like the real sky does not CAVU (Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited),  strictly Allies vs. Axis plane set and consequently no icons or an icon system like Sim #2 which fades in and out.  This is lost on most but to anyone who has spent any time in the real sky it is immediately recognizable as realistically simulating the way the human eye works in the 3D environment that the sky presents.  What's with the measles radar?  Lose it or at least do it like Sim #3 where you can only see it while in the tower or being forgiving just bar dar.  My take is to make things as immersive as possible from a re-enacting perspective  so while I'm spending 3 times as much as anyone else by actively flying 3 sims and 1 beta, I'm diligently putting all these impressions together into a comprehensive review which I will be publishing in a couple of months.  My review will rate every single feature I consider to be either enhancing or detracting from re-enacting play side by side.  I'm not concerned with the probervial Spit vs. 109 debate because from my perspective as a retired CFI, these are games and not real flight simulators.  What's important is how real does it "look" and how does it make you "feel"?  Believe me it's gonna be the Mother of all Flight Sim Reviews.

The bottom line is that as a subscriber, my miserly monthly contribution isn't going to make any of the producers of the 3 different sims I'm presently involved in change their business plan.  So I'll continue spending as much as I need to get my fixes where I can.   In the meantime, I might just be willing to throw a few hundred grand at a producer willing to put together my ideal private sim which I would graciously let you into for $30.00 a month.

TheBeeg

P.S. Where can I buy PowerBall tickets :lol

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2004, 10:40:16 PM »
Is there generally more aggro in  the CT over the radio ? I 've had 2 stoushes in 2 days , and I never fight over the radio in the MA ..never.

Does the axis/allies thing cause more disparity/aggression between the sides, or did I just strike a bad time ?

Maybe it's the plane match-ups  that cause it I guess. Both of these were guys in a particular plane telling me how and when and whether I should fight it on their terms.

I have found it more hostile in that way than the MA, no biggie , but interesting.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 10:42:50 PM by Redd »
I come from a land downunder

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2004, 11:03:12 PM »
I'm guessing (witout names) that it was probably some casual MAer's who popped in to the CT looking for more action that could be found in the MA.

The normal CT regulars are pretty meek and mild-mannered overall.

:cool:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2004, 11:53:29 PM »
There are a couple of grumpy CT regulars on both sides, but most of their venom is spit at their favorite target on the other side, and not usually at non-CT regulars.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2004, 01:04:29 AM »
Arlo those point holds merit in my opinon for one reason...numbers.. In the MA everything but the ganging that I dont like in the CT is balanced out by numbers. In the MA i can always find a fight no matter what a group of people do.

So today I go into the CT to check out the action. 1st complete dot dar over enemy fields is too much. In my opinion just over friendly fields is good enough. AT the time there were about 15 players on. BUT since there is dar I found  fights. Some good fights even tho I got shot down a bunch. Numbers werent balanced so I switched. Just to find out that there were no bish flying. While I was flying for bish I noticed a field being captured. Bish were capturing undefended fields. So I asked why do that? Why not capture the field that the enemy ups from? As usual you get negative feedback. With just 15 people on and 6 of the 8 bish milkrunning how fun is that. When numbers got to be around 40 it became more fun to be in there. Unfortunately I had a spit run from my 110 all the way to his higher budies. I had to log after that. Had great fights with Redd and Inyo.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
CT needs more pilots...
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2004, 01:24:44 AM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
Yet another area I have been whinning about for a long time. Base capture really has no place in the CT but there really is nothing wrong with it. The problem lies in the fact that the CT usualy has the theme for the week. There should be maps where field captures are a part of the theme. There has always been a problem with guys capturing bases in England. Again, there really is not much of a problem with it if the CT Staff would reset the arena for prime time playing. You dont see the CT staff much.

Exactly. Let everyone do what they want and reset the arena regularly.:aok