Author Topic: asault weapons ban  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
asault weapons ban
« on: September 08, 2004, 11:53:19 PM »
If this expires does this mean I can get an AR15 for cheaper?

Also....if the ban goes back into place for some reason does that make my weapon illegal or is this considered a "pre ban"?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:57:01 AM »
IF it passes without incident, the "Pre-Ban" designation will be in a fight for its life.   The prices will DEFINATELY come down, how much is anyone's guess.  

As far as modifications, that's a toughie bro.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 01:05:23 AM »
The police of this nation uniformly support the ban. This admin says it supports our police. This admin is going to let the ban lapse.

I dont get it.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 01:37:46 AM »
Originally posted by Silat
The police of this nation uniformly support the ban. This admin says it supports our police. This admin is going to let the ban lapse.

I dont get it.

I don't think so.  There was a link mentioned some time ago to a forum for police officers.  The majority of the rank and file do not support the ban.  Hang around gun forums and you will find police officers from around the country who will tell you that.  

Do you know what the ban is about?

mauser

*edit*  Here is the link to the Police Magazine forums:
http://www.policemag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=300&whichpage=1

a couple of quotes from page 13:

"I would concur, that after 27 years “driving the big blue car” that a law banning any “assault” rifle (weapon) is ridiculous. After all, what is the difference in an “assault Weapon” and a “Defense Weapon”? Or, put another way, we sell cars and motorcycles that will go 180mph, when the speed limit is 70, and bass fishing boats that will go 90 mph, clearly the problem is behavior, not objects. "

"I'm a 19 year veteran Cop. I have held every rank from Patrolman through chief and every assignment from patrol to detective in both line and supervisory positions. I have investigated and supervised the investigations of just about every sort of crime over these nearly two decades, and have worked in Jurisdictions Urban, suburban, and rural. Based upon my experiences I find no value in the assault weapons ban. I have not found this sort of weapon to be prevelent in crime and in the one or two intances where I have seen one, noone was hit by one. Now, I look at the issue from the side of the hobbiest. These are the folks hurt by this law, not the criminals. Time to let this useless law die. I figure anyone who can afford $1000 for a rifle is not really a threat to me. The bangers will get whatever they want anyway and we can get them for what they actually did anyway."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 01:57:32 AM by mauser »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 08:22:33 AM »
Supply and demand.  At first, the prices will be the same because you still have the same supply, no other guns have been made since then, and the demand might even be a little bit higher.

I'd say give it two to four months before the new guns get rolling out.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 08:36:34 AM »
The police of this nation uniformly support the ban.

Since when do cops decide what our rights are?

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
asault weapons ban
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 08:36:48 AM »
I just want those 18 round mags for my Glock 17.  The Police have them.  The Criminals have them.  

But a law abiding citizen with a registered firearm and a permit to carry it can't.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 08:37:28 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger as the main question of the thread
If this expires does this mean I can get an AR15 for cheaper?

Also....if the ban goes back into place for some reason does that make my weapon illegal or is this considered a "pre ban"?

Originally posted by Silat but not even coming close to staying on thread topic

I dont get it.

neither do I :rolleyes:

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 08:41:09 AM »
Read the law. Anybody that does that has the sense god(God) gave a goat, will realize that it is nothing but political posturing.

It's been said many times. Criminals don't care what the law says.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 08:52:54 AM »
3 months before the ban went into effect I purchased a CAR-15 for $450.   3 months after the ban went into effect I sold same for $1800.  I should have bought 30 of the damned things.....

ABC news used the great LA bank robbery incident as proof that the ban was needed.

What ABC news forgot, or conveniently neglected to mention was the great LA bank robbery incident happened several years AFTER the ban went into effect (if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns) Ya......

Think I will pick up another CAR-15   YA BAYBEE
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 09:11:29 AM »
Originally posted by Silat

I dont get it.

Nonsense, rank and file officers haven’t been polled. Police Chiefs (mostly from large Cities) have weighed in. These are Political offices mostly occupied by liberal democrats.

If you have read the law you would know how stupid it is. It contains nothing but feel good leftist labeling and doesn’t do anything at all to address gun violence or death and injuries related to guns.

What you don't get comes from your own ignorance.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 10:37:47 AM »
yes wotan is was a crap liberal feel good do nothing law.  Six months after the ban was passed I bought a PCR-5 from Olympic Arms (PCR stands for politically correct rifle and was basically a AR-15).  

I paid $700 and some change for the PCR-5.  The only difference between the PCR-5 and my CAR-15 was the PCR-5 DID NOT have a telescoping buttstock (oooh how evil is that), did not have a bayonet lug (yes, how many children have been bayoneted in the US in the last 150 years?), did not have a flash supressor (I cant see you?) and did not have a short barrel (thats alright, pistols have short barrels, I will use a pistol next time I need a short barrel).  Other than that my PCR-5 was a fully functional semi-automatic military styled firearm shooting 5.56 ammo.  The PCR-5 was sold with a 10-round magazine in accordance with the weapons ban.  Also, the ban outlawed the sale of any magazine holding more than 10 rounds to civilians "IF" said magazine was manufactured "AFTER" the ban went into law.  There are many millions of 30, 40 and 50 round magazines in cirulcation that were manufactured before the law went into effect and these are perfectly lawful to own within the confines of the AWB and can be use in weapons manufactured "AFTER" the ban was made into law because the AWB does not say that pre ban magazine can not be used in post ban weapons.....real smart lawmaking but then again, liberals were in power in congress and the oval office when the ban was passed and have not been in power since.

So in essance, all the assault weapons ban does is removal of flash suppressors, bayonet lugs and telescoping/folding stocks.  Thats all it does
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 10:46:47 AM »
sshhhhh, quit tellin em where they ****ed up

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 11:10:27 AM »
Exactly Yeager,

It banned guns that looked "mean" or scared women. In the end is was just a feel good bone for liberals to flaunt in front of the ignorant masses.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
asault weapons ban
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 11:16:40 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Nonsense, rank and file officers haven’t been polled. Police Chiefs (mostly from large Cities) have weighed in. These are Political offices mostly occupied by liberal democrats.

You got something to support that?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)