Author Topic: Until now I've never seen "Game breakers" here until now  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Until now I've never seen "Game breakers" here until now
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2004, 11:04:17 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
...As in.."Fly any plane you like, anytime you like"

That's why people hooked in..

BIG PLUS...

You know what?  You still can.

...but, I agree that AH is losing its shine.  You wanna know what is souring me to AH?  No?  I'll tell ya anyway.

It's the whiney, crying, foot stompers.  I find it distasteful to play with 'em.  This last change proved to what extent the player base is made of people who will fall on the floor and pitch a fit  in the toy department.

Imagine if you saw similar tantrums in a pool hall or in a pickup game of football or softball or any other game played face-to-face.  Would you still want to play with those people?  I wouldn't and don't.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2004, 11:04:44 PM »
I sincerly thank you from the bottom of my heart Arlo..

The check is in the mail :D
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2004, 11:05:43 PM »
And they told me to just quit complaining, shut up go somewhere else, HTC knows what it's doing, everyone here is happy it's just you Moil......................... ............................. ............................. .

Yeah, it's just me alright,  things here like a well oiled machine:confused:

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2004, 11:21:11 PM »
..and on the other hand Furious has a REALLY good point..

But your messin with my mediating skills ya basstage..

Nice robe by the way. Please be seated in the hall of elders.

So is it better the way it is, with the great nashing of teeth then before, when for the most part the community was a bunch of *****in happy campers ???
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2004, 11:25:57 PM »
Neh ... there was always beechin and moanin .... it just finally moved around enough to reveal that over a third of the community is capable of it at any given moment. Considering how many AH players aren't X gen ... that's kinda high.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2004, 12:35:48 AM »
Originally posted by Furious
...but, I agree that AH is losing its shine.  You wanna know what is souring me to AH?  No?  I'll tell ya anyway.

It's the whiney, crying, foot stompers.  I find it distasteful to play with 'em.  This last change proved to what extent the player base is made of people who will fall on the floor and pitch a fit  in the toy department.

Imagine if you saw similar tantrums in a pool hall or in a pickup game of football or softball or any other game played face-to-face.  Would you still want to play with those people?  I wouldn't and don't.
BOOM BOOM! Nopoop, please note. I don't know about your drum, but I travel to the drum beat of Furious.

Very well said, Furious. Those are entirely my feelings too. A tad long for a sig. under the new rules, else I'd be off to edit it right now.
:aok

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2004, 01:46:22 AM »
Well, as we all know I am a statistics watcher. I have been taking arena number samplings across all time zones as compared to before the ENY implimentation. If overall arena numbers are any indication of lost subscriptions, HTC has made a tremendous business blunder with the ENY implimentation. I have no idea how many numbers whiners cancelled but I never saw anything but a steady INCREASE in total arena population up until the ENY implimentation.

After the ENY implimentation there was a sudden and dramatic plummet in MA numbers across all times zones for all three countries. So, I wouldn't go shopping for a new game just yet. ;) I think the big ENY experiment failed abysmally and it'll either be removed entirely, tweaked to the point of being inconsequential or replaced entirely by a system that creatively enhances gameplay options rather than curtails them.

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 03:01:38 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline ET

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2004, 05:42:48 AM »
nopoop. That was the fairest analysis of a game situation that I have seen in a long time on the BBS.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2004, 05:46:59 AM »
I agree with NoPoop.  The increased hardness of the towns has made base capture much harder. This means that the frontline doesnt move as fast, resulting in a less dynamic arena.

Originally posted by NUKE
Whats the max player limit per game?

64 player limit on "Virtualpilots_1".  Accessible through Hyperlobby and direct ip "vlen.telija.net".

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2004, 08:16:42 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
I think the big ENY experiment failed abysmally and it'll either be removed entirely, tweaked to the point of being inconsequential or replaced entirely by a system that creatively enhances gameplay options rather than curtails them.

I don't see how you can say that the ENY "experiment" failed.  Except for Sunday nights, it has brought a much greater degree of arena balance to Aces High, which was its intention.  In that respect, it succeeded quite well.

Perhaps HTC views these sorts of things in the long-term.  Most of the whiners who took their balls and went home would have left anyway in the next year for one reason or another.  Soon they'll be replaced by players who have never known anything but the ENY limiter.  In a year, the numbers probably won't be much different than they were right before the ENY limiter -- except that the arena will enjoy a greater degree of side balancing.  Since we don't know things like the number of new users per day and the retention rate of those users over time, you cannot say that this "experiment" has failed at all.  If the retention rate increased as a result of side balancing, then HTC wins in the end.

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 08:22:03 AM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2004, 08:36:15 AM »
Well, as we all know I am a statistics watcher. I have been taking arena number samplings across all time zones as compared to before the ENY implimentation. If overall arena numbers are any indication of lost subscriptions, HTC has made a tremendous business blunder with the ENY implimentation. I have no idea how many numbers whiners cancelled but I never saw anything but a steady INCREASE in total arena population up until the ENY implimentation.

After the ENY implimentation there was a sudden and dramatic plummet in MA numbers across all times zones for all three countries. So, I wouldn't go shopping for a new game just yet. ;) I think the big ENY experiment failed abysmally and it'll either be removed entirely, tweaked to the point of being inconsequential or replaced entirely by a system that creatively enhances gameplay options rather than curtails them.

Zazen

Im not a stat watcher. But I do watch the numbers in the arenas
 I have to agree.
During a time of year when numbers should be going up in the arenas during primetime, They've been going down. And there has been a noticeable difference.
A good example is the small maps. Used to be the small maps were too small for the numbers that were on. Now as much as I love em, I cant even make an argument for the large maps because the skies just arent that crowded in the small maps to warrant them.
While I dont  think the Eny thing is the only reason for the numbers drop I DO think its the combination of things that were changed in the game and it is probably the single largest thing.

Among other changes First we lost a chunk due to the new game. That was to be expected. Not everyone feels the game is important enough to get a new machine for and Im sure a TON of people are on very tight budgets and just simply couldnt do it.
 Then there was the changed to the base porkability which as much as it was moaned about alot of people really enjoyed. it was "their" fun
 Now the ENY thing may be just the straw that broke the camels back.

Now the eny thing doesnt effect me one single bit.
but I just dont beleive people should be outright denied the plane they like to fly.
 Numbers are going down not up thats for sure. And to that extent the Eny thing is working. But I dont quite think this is what HTC had in mind when they decided to implement it

There is a whole host of things that could have been done in both the base porkability issue and the Horde.
 Which are probably the two largest reasons for people giving up.

A host of options none of which was implemented. That could have done more to add to the immersion of the game rather then taking away from it which is exactly what was done
 A host of things that would have had almost the same effect strived for and added to the realism and thus the immersion at the same time.
Instead it was chosen to do things that would no longer allow people to have "their fun". And once your fun is gone whats left to keep you here? Then playing the game becomes pointless. So people leave.
And thats exactly what we're seeing
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 08:40:30 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2004, 08:51:26 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
I don't see how you can say that the ENY "experiment" failed.  Except for Sunday nights, it has brought a much greater degree of arena balance to Aces High, which was its intention.  In that respect, it succeeded quite well.

-- Todd/Leviathn

I respectfully dissagree.
I have seen very little  difference in arena balance Ratio wise.
What I HAVE seen is fewer people on.
The other night for example only 1 country of the 3 had more then 100 players on during primtime.
I forget which country had which but the numbers were like 120 ,75 82
Ratio wasnt much different then it normally is but the numbers up were very different to what I'm used to
An oddity I think that is becomming more and more common.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2004, 09:26:58 AM »

Zazen

Prove it ... show us your number samplings from across all time zones. Let's see the numbers ... post 'em if ya got 'em.

Furious ... you are a wise and insightful man.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2004, 09:41:48 AM »
Furious if you stop reading this BB and do not tune to channel 200, your problems are solved.... next. ;)

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2004, 10:21:50 AM »
Furious

I love the mentality dude!

"Take it on the chin, don't protest nothing, don't stand up for anything.  OMFG!  I might look bad or weak or somebody might see me or question me.  Somebody may not like my shoes. Oh my! Oh my!

Yeppers and if things were left to people with that mentality.....we'd all be speakin' German!

No tantrums dude....Just stand up for what I believe.  Try it it's soul clensing.  Makes ya feel good about yerself.

Baaahhhh!