Author Topic: whats the best P47?  (Read 4467 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 09:37:54 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I was flying the 205 and the Ki-61 last week, and frankly, both have suffered badly in their move to AH2.

As to P-47s. I prefer the D-40 with 6 guns (usually short clip too) and no more than 50% fuel. It'll climb with the Spit9 (after burning off the aux tank) and acceleration is much, much better that either the D-11 or D-25. Just remember, keep the fuel weight low (use a belly tank if need be for transit) and avoid the 8 gun, gozillion rounds option. Most of the guys that you'll run into have absolutely no idea what a light D-40 can do, until they're dead that is.

My regards,

Widewing

Very interesting WW ... I will give that loadout a try ... but I am with Urchin ... the D-25 with invasion stripes is SWEET !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline crutch

• Zinc Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 10:08:04 PM »
to all AH Jugoons :)
Crutch

Check Six - The Book

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 07:54:07 AM »
I take the heavy ammo load and just go really trigger happy untill I get to the low ammo load option (ammo counters at ~1000).

I shoot like Ray Charles.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 01:41:52 PM »
Take the D11....

Its only drawback is Bomb loadout..

The views you can become familiar with..

D11 feels the most like a fighter (a heavy one) and will get you home safe... (i swear by less pilot wounds due to razorback but may be luck or placebo..)

some of the 6 gun d40's are silly now.. with their e retention and climb under light fuel... d25 has best paint jobs ...

Really boils down to preference... Ive always liked the Razorback....

DoctorYO

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 02:47:56 PM »
iv been having some fun in it i was fighting a P38 last night and he started to win the 1on1

so i put it in a dive from 15k and he tryed to stay with me to 535mph

he auger is P38 i pull out with ease:D

not sure here but 1 time i dove from 25k to see if the jug can compress at all and it did at around 600mph
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 03:57:44 PM »
Which Jug did you pick?

Congrats with the 38!
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 01:34:49 AM »
P47D-25 because i cant stand the D-40s paint skin    

if a new paint skin comes online for the D-40 il start using it

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2004, 12:39:28 PM »
I have two D-40's in the pipe.

And one in the paint room..

I can't fly'um worth a crap.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2004, 02:18:10 PM »
Hmmm. I see some 'naughty bits' on the 2nd. Will  HTC approve that ?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2004, 02:50:25 AM »
I had considerable stick time in the D11 in AH1. The gunnery model doesn't seem to favor the american 50s as much in AH2, which is what really hurts the Jugs defensive capabilitys.

When you're  high E the D11 may be a little weaker then the D25 or D40 on account of less mass (Less mass = less momentum). You'll have to work harder in the older model to keep your advantage, but all Jugs are beasts when diving so it's not really too bad. Just remember to climb back up to some pre-set vulching altitude every once in a while.

Defensively the D11 has a significant advantage over its newer counterparts. The stability this thing offeres in a stall fight is nearly rediculous. Walking the flaps a lot while playing overshoot games is the general strategy. Nobody is going to have a better turn radius then you at speed, and even when slow it's only the real turners like the zeke and the spitV that can get inside your insane turn radius. When things get really bad you want to get flaps out, get low, and do a lot of scissoring and reversing to take advantage of the radius. You won't win at all on turn rate, but if you do a lot of well timed barrel rolls, and low radius full flap split-s's on the deck to force people off your 6, your survivability will be pretty decent.

All in all this fighter is well suited to an experienced competent stick, but terrible for the new to average pilot.

-pellik

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2004, 05:37:12 PM »
been flying the F4U-1 of late and when i find out its topspeed on the Java chart at netaces i did not know this plane had the same deck speed as the P51B

but it takes years to get to that deck speed

but i think i found it more nimble then the Jug

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2004, 07:25:47 PM »
Originally posted by simshell
been flying the F4U-1 of late and when i find out its topspeed on the Java chart at netaces i did not know this plane had the same deck speed as the P51B

but it takes years to get to that deck speed

but i think i found it more nimble then the Jug

The f4u is, in some ways, more nible then the jug. It loses out on stability and flap deployment, however. The jug can maintain a comfortable 80mph and still be doing some minor reversals while the f4u will stall long before that.

-pellik

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2004, 08:24:08 PM »
ever try using the flaps on it     
pellik?

it is a very good stall fighter just dont make a mistake when stall fighting or you may get the hog spin of death

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2004, 08:26:48 PM »
Originally posted by simshell
ever try using the flaps on it     
pellik?

it is a very good stall fighter just dont make a mistake when stall fighting or you may get the hog spin of death

Yeah. It still stalls out faster. Also the flaps don't pop nearly so fast on the hogs. Flaps  start comming out at 400mph on the jugs!

The f4u is in no way a weak fighter, but it doesn't offer the same turn radius as a jug, nor does it bleed E as fast. I believe it's roll rate is also considerably weaker when slow.

-pellik

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2004, 08:36:25 PM »
would have to agree its a trade a off

seems like the F4U does better down low then the P47

but boy that F4U4 is a great plane a Hog with P51D speed:)

all we need now is a P47N for the Jug perk plane:cool: