Author Topic: An Alternative Solution to Side Imbalance  (Read 486 times)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
An Alternative Solution to Side Imbalance
« on: September 13, 2004, 01:24:39 PM »
This thread has sprung from a thread by oboe, in which he proposed giving people 30 (fighter) perks to change from the side with most numbers to the one with the fewest.  The details need to be worked out, but this sounds promising.

If this were combined with giving each player, say 100 fighter perks at the start of each month, AND we made perks mean something by charging for more planes, even just a few perks...then we might solve several problems:

1.  Promote more balanced numbers by bribing people with perks to switch sides.  Also, the side with fewest players will have the cheapest perk planes, and since so many popular planes would become perked...well you know how free markets work.

2.  Reduce the number of currently un-perked, yet uber planes, like the La-7, and P51-D.

3.  Encourage people to survive their missions, resulting in fewer dweebish suicides.  Even if you're not flying a perk plane, there will be more incentive to land your missions in order to get more perks (which now really have value).

4.  Increase the use of less popular planes for two reasons: they're free, and victories gained in them provide valuable perks for other rides.

===========================================

Now, here's the hard part:  which planes do you now charge perks to fly, and how much do you charge?  Here is a suggestion.  (Keep in mind that each player will receive 100 fighter perks at the start of each month, plus be able to get perks by changing to the side with fewest numbers.)

200 Perks

Me-262
---------------------------------------
100 Perks

Me-163
---------------------------------------
80 Perks

Tempest
--------------------------------------
70 Perks

Spit XIV
60 Perks

Fw-190D-9, F4U-4
50 Perks

La-7
-------------------------------------
45 Perks

Bf-109G-10
40 Perks

Ta-152
------------------------------------
30 Perks

F4U-1C, Ki-84
 25 Perks

P-51D
20 Perks

Typhoon
-----------------------------------
12 Perks

P-51B, F4U-1D
10 Perks

F4U-1, Yak -9U, Spit IX, La-5, all P-47s, all Fw-190s (except D-9)
7 Perks

P-38L, N1K2
6 Perks

C. 205
4 Perks

Spit V

===========================================

I'm looking forward to your thoughtful, constructive comments.

MRPLUTO

P.S.  On this scale, I'd probably put the Ki-84 at about 30 perks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 02:34:47 PM by MRPLUTO »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 01:44:11 PM »
The problem with the perk all the good stuff solution is that it very disproportionately affects newer and less skilled players.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 01:48:35 PM »
PLUTO: Please remove the  bold type from your post.

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 01:50:44 PM »
ok hitech

mrpluto

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 01:57:02 PM »
Now would the purchase of these planes affect the loss of overall perks if the plane is lost?

For example, I buy X plane for 5 perks. I get shot down and I lose an addition 5 perks.

Or will it be a flat purchase with no loss if shot down?

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 02:06:04 PM »
I would think a less extensive perk solution would handle the trick nicely.  Just a few perks points for the top 10 birds or so...

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 02:17:35 PM »
How would the situation where Im a rook and I swich to knight get my perks and swich back be handled?

Also the likelyhood that the biggest side will be the ones using the highest perked planes is quite big. Simpley because hoarding makes you safer. Safety in numbers IS very true. So an attacking hoard would be flying higher perk planes then the defending side.

This really hurts defense and promotes offense.

Tex
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 02:20:00 PM by TexMurphy »

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 02:23:49 PM »
Karnak--

That's the biggest problem with this system.  But then, don't the inexperienced and less-skilled always suffer the most?  In fairness to the newbie, how about 500 perks for the two-week trial period, and another 500 when you sign up?  As for the less-skilled, they'd get the 100 perks a month, plus whatever they earn, plus bribes for fighting for the underdog side.  Also, how about this idea-----give 50 or 100 FIGHTER perks for field/base captures?  That might solve the shortage of C-47s and M-3s that often occurs.

RTSigma--

If you land, you get your orginal perks back, plus whatever you earned on the mission.  If you are shot down you lose the price of the plane, but get any points you earned, though not as many than if you had landed.  If you ditch, you lose half the perks you paid, I believe.

MRPLUTO

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 02:30:21 PM »
rabbidrabbit--

That's another possibility.  I have a list of 13 Uber-planes I'd perk:

(these are already perked)

Me-262
Me-163
Ta-152
Tempest
F4U-4
F4U-1C
Spitfire XIV
-------------------------------
(I'd add these)

Ki-84
Bf-109G-10
Fw-190D-9
La-7
P-51D
Typhoon (maybe)

MRPLUTO
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 02:32:26 PM by MRPLUTO »

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 02:38:53 PM »
Tex--

When you change sides you can't change again for 6 hours, I think it is now.  So if you change sides, you'd get your bribe, and it would be yours to keep, even if 6 hours later you changed back to a side with higher numbers.  No questions asked!

MRPLUTO

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 02:49:15 PM »
Ohh didnt know there was a timer to it.. cool.. that will fix that part.

The part about the outnumbering side using more perk planes is still true though imho. The safer you are the more perks are you willing to spend.

Tex

Offline peregrin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 03:05:26 PM »
What stops the following?
"My squad is historical.  I have  to fly the P51D every time I fly.  Now that I'm out of perks I can't up the P51D.  It's ruining our squad, it ruins our missions. If I can't fly what I want when I want, I'm going to cancel my account."

Hmm.  come to think of it, I'm going to start a historical squad that only flies the F4U-4, and demand that HiTech unperk it for my squad.  Who wants to join up?
--Peregrine

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 03:24:38 PM »
Nothing would stop it Peregrine.   OTOH nothing would stop this:

"Guys, oboe lost all his perks again.   We're a '51D squad so lets run a fighter sweep and see if we can't help oboe earn some perks back.   oboe, the squad hack '51B is on the North end of the field, gassed up and armed for you.  We'll cover you tight - good luck and good shooting."

You know in the most famous P-51 color photo of the War, showing showing 4 P-51s from the 361st FG (LOU IV in the foreground) - one of the ships is a '51B.    Thought that was interesting.

It wouldn't have to be a flat 30 perks to switch to the smallest side, either.   The size of the bonus could vary by the size of the imbalance.

It could be a problem if everyone switches to Rook just before they log off, so they can switch to the smaller country and get a bonus when they login the following day, though.

I dunno, it still seems like a reasonable way to entice side balancing, without penalties or disabled planes.   Unfairness to noobs of an expanded perk system is always brought up, but I really think reseting everyone's perk balance to some standard amount each month evens it out.   Noobs may burn through their perks faster but at least they have a chance to fly a perk plane or two.   (Which they may not be getting under the current system).

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 04:13:11 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Nothing would stop it Peregrine.   OTOH nothing would stop this:

"Guys, oboe lost all his perks again.   We're a '51D squad so lets run a fighter sweep and see if we can't help oboe earn some perks back.   oboe, the squad hack '51B is on the North end of the field, gassed up and armed for you.  We'll cover you tight - good luck and good shooting."

You know in the most famous P-51 color photo of the War, showing showing 4 P-51s from the 361st FG (LOU IV in the foreground) - one of the ships is a '51B.    Thought that was interesting.

It wouldn't have to be a flat 30 perks to switch to the smallest side, either.   The size of the bonus could vary by the size of the imbalance.

It could be a problem if everyone switches to Rook just before they log off, so they can switch to the smaller country and get a bonus when they login the following day, though.

I dunno, it still seems like a reasonable way to entice side balancing, without penalties or disabled planes.   Unfairness to noobs of an expanded perk system is always brought up, but I really think reseting everyone's perk balance to some standard amount each month evens it out.   Noobs may burn through their perks faster but at least they have a chance to fly a perk plane or two.   (Which they may not be getting under the current system).

You didn't get it oboe.

Someone in a Pony squad really did say that they only fly the -D Model and the -B Model is not an option, when the -D has been disabled. So ... the "squad hack" is SOL cause its against the squad doctrine to fly anything but the -D Model.

Go figure.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 04:27:13 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
You didn't get it oboe.

Someone in a Pony squad really did say that they only fly the -D Model and the -B Model is not an option, when the -D has been disabled. So ... the "squad hack" is SOL cause its against the squad doctrine to fly anything but the -D Model.

Go figure.

Geez, it could really suck to be in a one trick pony squad. (pun intended) :D

Historical being forced by a squad in the MA is just a tad silly. After all, it IS the MA. Besides, you and yours are missing about 85% of the game by so limiting yourselves.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."