Author Topic: wanna be wanna be like drex or suck like leviathn  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
wanna be wanna be like drex or suck like leviathn
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 12:26:02 PM »
I use the full CH Products USB setup.  That includes the Pro Throttle, 568 Combatstick, and Pro Pedals.  I've been using CH stuff in one form or another pretty much since I started in this hobby, and I switched over to USB a couple of years ago.  I really prefer the lack of resistance and easy throw in CH controls over tight springs like those found in Thrustmaster sticks.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 12:26:07 PM »
"Isnt CH supposed to come out with a twisty stick ??? or did they bail on that idea ?"

they had one a few years ago.  The Gamestick 3D.  It was essentially just like the old MS Sidewinder Pro hoopety-twist sticks.  

http://www.intelligamer.com/hardware/chgamestick/chgamestick.asp

Not a bad stick but after using a Pro Thottle, Pro peds and F16 fighterstick set up I found I can't use it for aircombat games at all. Far too limited in functionality.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 12:41:45 PM »
Originally posted by Soulyss
The Fighterstick is also HUGE.  Again I was worred that I could reach the top 8 way hat with my thumb for views, it was a little uncomfortable at first but again I got used to it and I can fly my normal amount (1-2 hours a night) without any discomfort.

Alot of us use the 8-way hat on the throttle for views and the pinky button on the JS for the UP modifier.  It is very nice once you get used to it.  I use the 8-way hat on the JS for autopilot functions.
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 01:03:30 PM »
I have an X45 with Ch pro pedals.......I am a lousey shot and I can confirm that twisties are infact easier to feather than pedals when lining up for a ruddered snap shot.

My son (Shift) flies MS side winder pro [the old one] and snap shots are easier on his rig.

However my set is now nearly 3 years old and support in the UK for Saitek is V good.

The stick........

I would wait for the X52 the X45 spring is stiff and the friction between spring cup and base is uneven. My X45 has always been heavily greased with a combination of candle wax and vaseline and I had tobed the spring in. There is a conversion by simply using cable ties to close the centre coil.

If you are heavy on the throttle lever you will eventually break it.

The X52 will feature a twisty so your instinctive use of the same on the MS will transfer more easily.
Ludere Vincere

VWE

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 01:41:40 PM »
I use the Microsoft twisty stick 2 because everything else is [SIZE=10]CRAP![/SIZE]

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 02:27:03 PM »
i get many of my kills in snap shots..

been using the saitek cyborg series for 4+ years now..cheap as hell..replace it about evrery 6-9 months or so..FOr FREE..with Best buy warranty..

best 45buks ever spent.

I now use the Saitek Cyborg EVO...pretty lights on it with a few extra buttons..

I love twisty stiks..cause i play with my feet up

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 02:38:52 PM »
I thought they fixed the wep situation so when you throttle down the wep stays on?      ...it's a  little off orignal subject, but I saw it metioned in a prior post.  I think I'm correct about it being fixed.  :)   lmao.  someone will let me know, im sure.  :)

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »
I want to go out and get the full rudder setup as well, as I am planning on building a simpit.

I don't mind twisty sticks, its just that my style of flying I'd be inadvertantly applying rudder when I didn't need it. Which is why I went with the X45.

I do not think I'll be getting X52 as it doesn't have a rocker rudder, but we'll see if I try a demo.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 03:23:39 PM »
I use a Saitek Cyborg as well since I'm left-handed (it adjusts for lefties and righties), and I think they're pretty great for 19 bucks.  They might not last as long as some of the others, but they're so cheap that you can just buy another.

The lowest model, which I use, comes with a trigger, 3 buttons up top, a hat-switch, a throttle paddle, and an adjustable palm-rest.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2004, 03:27:44 PM »
Although I wouldn't consider myself a "very good snapshot accuracy expert" I use the exact same setup as Levi. Been awhile now, I'd never use anything else.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2004, 03:37:55 PM »
Originally posted by moot
saiteks are the flakiest tools I've used.  I wouldn't recommend them unless you're ready to be repairing the trigger and hats and pots relatively often.  Very cheap Made in Thirdworld plastic toy feel.
The X45 I found too heavy handed at the deadzone threshold to really pinpoint the plane's nose in any and every condition.  It should be good if you fix that though.
There's something very oversquare about it that always got in the way instead of transmitting my commands quickly and naturaly.

Maybe the X52 will be an improvement... You do usually get full warranties with them though.

I also had a CH fighterstick and owing to its center precision, it was pretty easy to aim accurately with, but it otoh has nearly no spring resistance.  The fit and finish is good and much better than the X45, but it's still plastic and it felt like it certainly would fail sooner or later when the parts would wear out, though it didn't happen in the few months I had it.  
In this regard I'd recommend test-using a Cougar.

I don't know about pedals, but the CH are the only ones I've seen good feedback for.

I have an X45 and the trigger is going out. How do I repair it?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2004, 04:52:29 PM »
Originally posted by DipStick
Although I wouldn't consider myself a "very good snapshot accuracy expert" I use the exact same setup as Levi. Been awhile now, I'd never use anything else.

I also have the exact same set-up as Levi. I still can't fly worth a crap, but I enjoy alot of success in the 'shooting' department. I've used CH since 1992, my first set-up (analog) still worked fine until I replaced it a couple of years ago with the USB versions for Win XP compatability. CH may seem expensive but you won't have to replace/repair it...ever, basically. Buying a lesser set-up that requires replacement or repair every couple of years is more expensive and annoying in the long run.

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 04:54:39 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2004, 06:03:34 PM »
Originally posted by GuyNoir
I use a Saitek Cyborg as well since I'm left-handed (it adjusts for lefties and righties), and I think they're pretty great for 19 bucks.  They might not last as long as some of the others, but they're so cheap that you can just buy another.

The lowest model, which I use, comes with a trigger, 3 buttons up top, a hat-switch, a throttle paddle, and an adjustable palm-rest.

Cyborg 3d gold. Over a year. Not a prob.

But I'm really just wating for SLO to come into the thread and suggest Logitech. heh

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2004, 06:09:46 PM »
Alot of us use the 8-way hat on the throttle for views and the pinky button on the JS for the UP modifier. It is very nice once you get used to it. I use the 8-way hat on the JS for autopilot functions.

Yeah I thought about that, I had the joystick for a few weeks before I got the throttle, just long enough for me to get used to it. :) I may map the 8 way on the throttle and try to switch over but I've gotten used to the fighterstick now and there isn't any discomfort anymore, I rarely play for more than an hour or two at any given stretch anyway.  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2004, 07:46:37 PM »
I've gone through 2 TM Joysticks & 3 Throttles,  2 Saitek Joysticks/Throttles pairs, a CH Pro analog, and now CH Pro USB (as well as some real cheap crap).  I am by far the happiest with the CH Pro USB.  I gave up on stiffness a long time ago, and am not willing to trade precision and durability for anything.

BTW, Drex Sux.

eskimo