Author Topic: Why would anyone fly the mossie?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Why would anyone fly the mossie?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2004, 01:55:03 AM »
I completely disagree that the Mosquito in AHII has been porked compared to AHI. IMHO it is just the opposite!

1) The Mosquito now has tremendous fuel range. You can fly at full throttle for about 18 mins on each 25% fuel load. You can fly for 90 minutes on 100% plus drop tanks and little throttle management.  That is the complete opposite from AHI where the fuel range was awful.

2) IMHO it handles better, (or I'm just getting better...)

3) It is far better in the vertical than the AHI Mosquito. I have gotten numerous kills on fighters that went vertical on the merge because they assumed the Mossie was like the old AHI Mossie that was awful in the vertical. The AHII Mosquito is quite good in the V department, I can stand it on it's tail down to 40 MPH and blast away with it's 8 guns at poor flopping wannabe rope a dopers.
I especially enjoy P-38s because they invariably go vertical and give me a nice big planform as I turn inside them on the loop.

4) It turns pretty darn well. Or maybe the opposing pilot assumes the Mossie can't turn so tries to make too gentle of a turn, but I regularly outturn enemy fighters of all types in the initial couple of turns. I think part of it is the Mossie bleeds E very fast, so if you chop throttle in a turn, you will turn inside almost every other equal E fighter for at least one or two turns. Usually it only takes 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn and you've got your deflection shot lined up with that massive firepower. But you better not miss, because almost every fighter will win the sustained turn game.

5) As mentioned, it has the best climbrate and speed of all the JABOS when heavy with ordnance. I'm always throttling back if I go with P-51s, F6Fs, F4Us, or P-47s. Only the P-38 is really able to keep up when heavy.  

One trick, you can raise your head up quite a bit and get a much better view over the nose. It really helps for those high deflection shots.

The downside:
1) It flames wings just like the AHI roman candle.
2) It takes awhile to get used to the spin. Just practice is all. I very rarely spin it anymore, and can quickly recover any spin except the dreaded reverse tail slide stall/spin.
3) It's not as fast as I wish for the RTB after a JABO attack. But almost no good JABOS are. So I take a Tiffy if I expect to be outnumbered at an enemy base, at least it has good speed for the rtb.
4) It is prone to pilot wounds when attacking GVs. One evening I was pilot wounded half a dozen times in a row while defending a base from Panzers.

But all in all it is my favorite plane. I even have the below print hanging above my monitor, signed by original RCAF aircrew:

Rangers on the Rampage by Robert Taylor
RAF Mosquitos on a "Day Ranger" mission attack a German airfield shortly after D-Day, 1944. Pilot signed print.

Signatures

Air Marshal Broom, Sir Ivor KCB CBE DSO DFC AFC
Group Captain Cunningham, John 'Cats-Eyes'
Wing Commander Fumerton, Moose
Squadron Leader Kearns, T
Air Commodore Sismore, E B 'Ted' DSO DFC AFC AE
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 02:13:59 AM by MOSQ »

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2004, 08:00:24 AM »
i love flying the mossie.

get a plane in your sights, squeeze of a few rounds: *BOOM*
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Fauxbra

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2004, 08:20:31 AM »
There was a show on Discovery wings about a week ago on the Mossy and the pilots were basically calling the Mossy Uber. They said it turned very good and was as fast as anything the Americans had including the P51. In fact thier exact words were that only the jets could outrun it.Plus it had the nose full of Cannons and machine guns. Its sad to see that these great Pilots and Heros have such poor memories....Because according to AH2 the 110G-2 was a much better Aircraft:rolleyes:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2004, 10:19:14 AM »
Originally posted by Fauxbra
Because according to AH2 the 110G-2 was a much better Aircraft:rolleyes:

Um, no.  The Mossie is a far better fighter than the Bf110G-2 is.  The Bf110G-2 is better at Jabo, but that is all.

If the Mossie didn't have the flame dampers the difference would be even more pronounced.  Or if the Bf110G was a nightfighter with flame dampers.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2004, 10:21:09 AM »
Pilots will always think the plane that got them through the war was the best thing to ever roll off the production line. Only natural.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2004, 10:26:30 AM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
Pilots will always think the plane that got them through the war was the best thing to ever roll off the production line. Only natural.

In the case of the Mossie I am certain it was better than what we have modeled.

Not as good as those claims, true, but better than what we have.

There must have been a reason that RAF Fighter Command in the post war period had more Mossie squadrons planned than Spitfire squadrons.  If the Mossie were as useless as in AH that would have been sheer idiocy.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2004, 11:00:28 AM »
There must have been a reason that RAF Fighter Command in the post war period had more Mossie squadrons planned than Spitfire squadrons. If the Mossie were as useless as in AH that would have been sheer idiocy.

Devil's advocate. They might have planned on a quick transition to jet fighters with the Mossie maintaining the light/medium attack role.

Charon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 11:03:13 AM by Charon »

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2004, 11:04:47 AM »
Originally posted by Charon
Devil's advocate. They might have planned on a quick transition to jet fighters with the Mossie maintaining the light/medium attack role.

Or they figured the USAAF would take care of the air supremacy over Europe and they were more concerned with ground support for the army.

-DoK

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2004, 11:16:21 AM »
No, they didn't have many jet squadrons planned in the years immediately after WWII.

Many of the Mossie squadrons were nightfighters, but a lot were FB.Mk VIs as well.  The FB.Mk VI was still in production after WWII ended.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2004, 11:45:09 AM »
It's a bit apples and oranges from a comparison standpoint, since they were different aircraft used for different purposes in a rapidly changing, real world environment that had no significant similarities to how the Mosquito is used in the AH MA. The same can generally be said for WW2 operations as well.

While jet fighters were expensive, jet bombers were even more expensive and even the US had financial trouble fielding next generation planes like the B-45 before  August 29, 1949 changed the whole picture.

They were certainly good enough to fill their WW2 roles for a number of years, often operationally better than the newer jets (and at far less cost), just like the A-26, Skyraider, Sea Fury and F4U and P-51 in Korea.

Charon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 11:54:32 AM by Charon »

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2004, 12:05:45 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo

However the Mossie really did earn their respect. It had the lowest crew fatality rate of all bombers in WWII.

RAF analysis after the war proved the Mossie to be a far more efficient means of delivering bombs to a target than all the other RAF bombers.

They took into account:
Crew survival (and therefore additonal training time for new crew);
Resources used: two Merlins per lost plane instead of four, two crew instead of seven, wood instead of metal.

And finally accuracy: The Mossie was much more accurate, it's bombs actually hit the intended target. One reason why it was used as a Pathfinder to mark the target with incendiaries for the Lancasters to home in on.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2004, 04:26:57 PM »
How many of the posters here actually know that the different marks of Mosquitoes had very different performance figures and that the FB mark was the only armed day version and slowest of them all (except for the costal command version with the big cannon)?

Karnak need not answer.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2004, 04:32:32 PM »
:p

Besides, the NF.Mk II was slower than the FB.Mk VI.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2004, 05:02:23 PM »
"... day version ..." ;)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2004, 05:36:27 PM »
I've loved the Mosquito since I saw 633 Squadron with my friends for my 10th Birthday.

I just ordered the DVD. Maybe next year I'll bring it to the AH Con!

You want chills, click here: Click Here for the sound!