Author Topic: Why would anyone fly the mossie?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Why would anyone fly the mossie?
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2004, 05:39:07 PM »
GScholz,

OK, although the NF.Mk II was used during the day, how about comparing the B.Mk IV or PR.Mk IV to a FB.Mk VI with Merlin 25s and no flame damper?  The Mk VI in that case is faster.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2004, 06:36:57 PM »
do you all think it would be very hard to add the Mossie with the 4000ib i think it was into AH

because they already have 1 mossie that im sure is close to what this version is

just for kicks can some one show me the speed of one of the unarmed pure bomber Mossies?
known as Arctic in the main

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »
Originally posted by simshell

just for kicks can some one show me the speed of one of the unarmed pure bomber Mossies?

First google I found:

http://www.jaapteeuwen.com/ww2aircraft/html%20pages/DE%20HAVILLAND%20DH98%20MOSQUITO.htm

De Havilland Mosquito B Mk XVI: Similar to B Mk IX with pressure cabin, based on pro-totype development (see PR Mk XVI). First production B Mk XVI flown October 1943; 80 built with Merlin 72/73 and 320 with Merlin 76/77; all but first 12 with bulged bomb-bay for 4,000-lb (1, 816-kg) bomb. Some fitted with Oboe H2S and other bombing navaids. Initial deliveries to Nos 109 and 139 Sqns, end-1943.

Max speed (with 4,000-lb/1,816-kg bomb), 408 mph (656 km/h) at 28,500 ft (8,687 m) and 329 mph (529 km/h) at sea level. Intitial operating ceiling, 28,500 ft (8,687 m). Operational range, 1,100 mis (1,770 km) with 597 Imp gal (2,714 I) including two 100-Imp gal (454-1) drop tanks. Empty weight, 14,901 Ib (6,765 kg). Gross weight, 25,200 Ib (11,440 kg). Span, 54 ft 2 in (15.51 m). Length, 40ft 6 in (12.34 m).

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2004, 07:06:46 PM »
I see it now, a squad of 408 MPH Mossies at 28,000 ft carrying 4,000 lb blockbusters.

Oh the Humanity !

I can just imagine the whine fest!

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2004, 07:10:08 PM »
Originally posted by MOSQ
I see it now, a squad of 408 MPH Mossies at 28,000 ft carrying 4,000 lb blockbusters.

Oh the Humanity !

I can just imagine the whine fest!

yea but they would to use the Bombsight at 28k at 400mph for 1 bomb

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2004, 07:16:10 PM »
Mossie is a good plane in AH.  I'd also like to have one of the pure bomber variants, they were pretty fast but I dont think they carried any guns. That would balance out the fast speed I think and make for a nice bomber.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »
If we have any aircraft skinners among the Mossie clan, here's a page with Mossie illustrations. Alas, I have no clue how to do a custome skin.
http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter2/mosquitos.htm

The illustrations clearly show the difference between the exhaust shrouds for night operations and the faster exhausts we all wish we had in AHII.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Hmmm
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2004, 03:36:23 PM »
Karnak is right:

The mossie is an underpowered, fragile slug that can't maneuver at all. Due to its overwhelming Unterness it should not be flown by anyone.

If you see a mossie, no matter how poor your energy state, you should attack it at once as, despite its armament, it has no chance of survival.

Thank you.

Scherf

PS Karnak - Still owe you an email, still no access to scanners. Shout if there are any time pressures related to the AH mossie.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 03:43:05 PM by Scherf »
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hmmm
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2004, 04:32:46 PM »
Originally posted by Scherf
Karnak is right:

The mossie is an underpowered, fragile slug that can't maneuver at all. Due to its overwhelming Unterness it should not be flown by anyone.

If you see a mossie, no matter how poor your energy state, you should attack it at once as, despite its armament, it has no chance of survival.

Thank you.

Scherf

PS Karnak - Still owe you an email, still no access to scanners. Shout if there are any time pressures related to the AH mossie.

Armament is useless if you can't get the guns on the bad guy.  Nobady said it should not be flown.  Just don;t expect to survive a dog fight in it - lets say 90% of the time?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Hmmm
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2004, 05:03:56 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Armament is useless if you can't get the guns on the bad guy.  Nobady said it should not be flown.  Just don;t expect to survive a dog fight in it - lets say 90% of the time?

Hmmm.  I have a much, much higher survival rate in dogfights using the Mossie than 10%.

I'd guess I survive maybe 66% or so of the dogfights I get in using the Mossie.  I don't always get kills, but....
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2004, 05:27:21 PM »
I just started flyin AH Mossie today, fun!
Need to get used to that damage sound, "What was that noise"?
then i look at damage display, lots of red...lol

I used to fly a mossie "bomber" in WB2, no guns, 4x500 eggs, very fast, great for surgical strikes
Cooleyof 367th

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2004, 06:09:22 PM »
Scherf is correct, the Mossie is as dangerous as a blimp. If you see one, it's a easy kill.

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2004, 06:19:23 PM »
depends on who is flying it

a nik a spit are easy kills if the pliot is easy

the Mossie only needs 1 snapshot to end it all and its got the turnrate to get it

but its E dies out very fast so it wont be able to turn long time

Offline Canaris

• Zinc Member
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2004, 08:27:14 PM »
Thrila, to me the mossie is a heavy gunned form of the P38 and all I usually fly is the P38.  On the occasion I will take planes such as perk planes, etc. but when I fly the mossie people usually try to face shoot me.  They dont realize trying to faceshoot a mossie is asking for a deathwish with 4x20mms and 4x303s.  If you know how to fly a P38 you can fly a mossie.  

I didnt really notice that it burns E.  To me it takes awhile for the speed to really decline and it can turn for me just like a 38, which means out turning la7s and spits.

Canaris

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2004, 06:46:12 AM »
Hehe...listen to Scherf, he speaks the truth.  You should especially engage if you find 2 bish mossies.:)

Canaris the p38 is far more deadly than a mossie from my experience.  I've flown a couple of mossie v p38 duels.... once the p38 gets onto the mossies tail it's all over.  The p38 is better in every category except for firepower and dive acceleration.  I hate p38s!:D

I do agree the mossie turns well at high speed due to it's high E bleed.   I try  to use it to my advantage forcing overshoots, but if a late war plane wants to bnz me to death there is little i can do if he isn't agressive.  

The mossie manouvers well enough to get kills, but only because of it's guns. If had a weaker arnament i doubt I would get half of my kills.

This is why i love 4 hispanos:)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."