Author Topic: Bonus Aircraft = Realism Incentive  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Bonus Aircraft = Realism Incentive
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2000, 10:53:00 AM »
I don't think awarding the top 25 anything is right.

I do like the idea of awarding the side that gets X number of bases.

The big problem I see with awarding anyone is that if you award a side with a new AC then what keeps the people from switching sides so they can fly the awarded AC?

There has to be some sort of incentive to make a group of pilots want to work as a team rather than a bunch of individuals(not that there is anything wrong with flying as an individual).

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
Of course of course this horse is a horse.  This horse has been beaten alot already.

IMO is not the type of aircraft nor how many or their quality.  It is the level of skill and experience of the players.

Pretense of this Game:  More experienced players shall womp on less experienced players for years on end.  Eventually after years of getting womped, the less experience players start to do some womping.  The cycle repeats endlessly.  

Any attempt to even out the playing field amounts to a handicapping system.  The less skilled players should be given the higher handicap in order to compete evenly not vice versa.

I am a golfer also.  I understand skill disparity, but this is like saying that you can't use a putter until you can break 80.    

Creamo IMO, your plan, while very well thought out, seems to help the more experienced players who are already doing well.  While at the same time increasing the difficulty for the less experienced players, making them do less well.  You have just increased the handicap gap and more womping will occur.  This seems backwards.

For me and my $30 bucks I want to fly any plane at any time.  If that is not the case I will re-evaluate the game and my $30 bucks.

Salute!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2000, 11:37:00 AM »
Not for or against....just asking.

Why is there a compelling need for this in the MA?

Cobra

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2000, 11:56:00 AM »
Simple... base it on the streak  

If you killed 10 planes and landed all the missions while doing so - you can use the dweeb plane. If you die - you start over  

Makes people fly more... and fly starter..

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2000, 06:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by fd ski:
If you killed 10 planes and landed all the missions while doing so - you can use the dweeb plane. If you die - you start over  

Excellent idea!

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2000, 10:08:00 PM »
 How do you pick the best plane? I would take any of the planeset up. They all have streanths and weakness,s. If the big reward is the 1c, ill pass. the thing bleeds e fast, and gets it back slow.

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2000, 12:14:00 AM »
Its a plane that will be in the plane set  in the future  Easymo, HTC said in an earlier post that   Maybe some sort of reward type of system might be considered.
So all we are doing is speculation

-lazs-

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2000, 08:13:00 AM »
this is a game with no beggining and no real ending... People particitpate on different levels.  Some have time to fly a hundred or more hrs a month while others only have a fraction of that time to spend.   some care about score others don't.   There are about a dozen aspects of this game and each requires a different "skill"..

Why give anyone an unfair advantage plane wise or position wise?   Why reward one "skill" over another?   Why make the game any more lopsided than it is?  give everyone the same chance to start with and let em do with it what they will.
lazs

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2000, 01:41:00 PM »
Because Lazs, for the same reason you shine the hell outta yer new car and park in the closest spot to the entrance at work. HAving the cool toejam and people wanting it is just the way it is.

I'm not sure what all the "Elitist" referances are for, damn democrats! If someone is better at something, or earns the right for something it all isn't "fair" because everyone doesn't have it? Bah...  

I really like the idea of having maybe a factory in a grid that makes the late-model plane, and if it gets wacked the country gets 0 aircraft of that type.

As for the argument that people don't have alot of time to get to the top 25 or 50, I agree. But that 5 - 10 run kill streak idea would handle that nicley. That's a real good idea.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2000, 02:18:00 PM »
If there really was a way to say someone with a higher score is better or more elite Creamo I dont know if i would mind it so much. But lots of guys here have the skills to be in the top whatever. It is really a question of how you want to play the game. So people that want to play it a certain way are rewarded. and given a much larger incentive to make that "high" score happen.
There are people here that would get their buddies to start "extra" 2 week accounts to  set up straffing of them for a night or two...and then fly around in their uber plane with out a qualm....
It is not worth there time now as there is little benifit to having a high score. But pur a carrot out there and see what happens.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2000, 02:38:00 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Score is *NOT* a good indicator of skill, elitism, or worthiness.  High scores tend to favor certain flying styles, not certain skill levels.  Given two equally capable pilots, the one who hangs at the edges of fights waiting to engage already-occupied combatants, the one who runs from bad or even odds, or the one who vulches incessantly will almost always have a higher score.

Ultimately, it's about what is fun for the player.  There's nothing inherently wrong about flying this way, but it's important to recognize that kills generated this way don't necessarily reflect more skill than someone who dives into a furball with reckless disregard for personal safety.  It's all about different philosophies.

That said, how could we possibly reward players based on this criteria?  If we're going to offer "elite" planes as incentives, we need a better methodology than score.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2000, 03:08:00 PM »
Ok, Ya sold me on the score flaws. Good points.

Seems to me though that the Kill streak IS a indication of skill ala your winning the fights, and not losing yer plane.  

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 05-11-2000).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2000, 03:25:00 PM »
In a real war it certainly would be. And such guys were made wingcomanders and got the best mechanics etc etc..
Which is what you are trying to show.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2000, 04:17:00 PM »

Originally posted by Pongo:
In a real war it certainly would be. And such guys were made wingcomanders and got the best mechanics etc etc..
Which is what you are trying to show.

Someone earlier in this thread responded to this argument.  In a real war, you wouldn't have the option of hanging on the fringes of fights, BnZing at will and then diving away to safety while leaving friends behind.  The dangers and difficulty involved in "vulching" in real war were also significantly greater than those presented in Aces High.

In other words, if we're going to reward "elite" players with elite planes, let's at least reward realistic tactics.

-- Todd/DMF  

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2000, 06:15:00 PM »
I was showing support for creamos concept from a historical context. I had allready disagreed with it from a game context.

I still thik uber planes should be realeased when a side is getting kicked...
IE down to 8 fields release one uber plane to them. down to 4 fields another..
People will say that that will just invite people to change sides when someone gets uber planes...
yup..