Author Topic: Bonus Aircraft = Realism Incentive  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Bonus Aircraft = Realism Incentive
« on: May 09, 2000, 07:07:00 PM »
Here's a quick idea that might add some game play incentive and interest, without a huge amount of effort. It would reward the old timers, and give Dweebs incentive.

Many computer games have various weapons, or cars, or whatever that you have to earn a certain amount of points, levels, experience etc. to obtain.

Baring you know the cheat to unlock them, you actually have to spend much time doing something right to get access to them. A goal, or initiative to do well, or objective…whatever.

Why not apply that to Aces High and late prerelease late model aircraft?

With the incredible speed that HTC updates the game, (Yeah, people actually get CONCERNED, if there is no update in 2 weeks!) I could see a incentive EACH TOUR, or at least every other tour for adding a new plane that everyone gets in the initial release, but only say only the top 25 - 50 players could unlock and bring into the arena. Of course to be fair, everyone would be able to test the Bonus Aircraft offline, but online, only the player with leading Fighter scores could use them.

Not only that, they'd get say, only 15 per tour to use. When they are all gone from ditching, deaths, or capture, that's it. Then at the end of the tour, EVERYONE gets the new plane to use in the arena. It even is somewhat historically correct. There were limited amounts of planes, especially the latest developments, and certainly the new recruits didn't get first dibs on em.

With a limited amount of aircraft, they wouldn't get over used. Can you imagine if a guy is down to say 3 Dora's left, and is facing Spit HO?! I'm guessing the "kill everything HO no matter what happens to me cuz I'll just replane" would be out the door. :0)

Here's how it could work.

EXAMPLE-V1.03 - New effects added, patched joystick USB issue, added 2 new aircraft, the P40, and Zero, plus 1 *Bonus late model aircraft, the 190 D "Dora".

* Note, you must be in the top 25 in FIGHTER SCORE points to access the Dora in Main Arena.

Now, this raises some interesting questions. A = Answer or Assumption, take yer pick.

1. At the beginning of the tour, all pilots are equal in points, who would get the bonus aircraft?

A. The top 25 from the last tour.

2. Wouldn't that make the top 25 even harder to kill if they had a late model plane in the main arena?

A. Hopefully, but with a limited amount of aircraft, no. Plus, we all know how quickly the new aircraft are flown by everyone then things even right back out.

3. Wouldn't this would promote animosity, everyone pays the same. Shouldn't they all have access to all planes?

A. Well sure, everyone gets all the new planes, even the bonus which they can fly to their hearts content, OFFLINE. (I assume everyone would need the skins and aircraft in their HTC directory anyway so they would appear proper in the game.) And for the guys that are old timers and do well, it's a nice little bonus for FREE.

4. Wouldn't everyone focus on the a plane that was one of these "Bonus Aircraft"?

A. Probably, but what can you do? Not add a interesting element to the mix just because your worried that some dweeb will be chasing your Dora around the arena? Sounds fun anyway.

Of course there would be a million opinions as to how to do this, I was just throwing the idea around, though I'd put it up here to get blasted. You could use it for each vehicle type as in Bombers, Tanks, Ships, etc…

I can't help but think this would add a real nice bonus if even only for a few players. Still, it would be the guys that have supported the online flightsims for years, fly and score well. It certainly would give everyone something to "shoot" for. Pun intended.

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 05-09-2000).]

JENG

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2000, 07:17:00 PM »
I don't like the elitist part of your idea. But since most of the TOP 25 flyers would be knights anyway I don't care  

Now seriously the problem is we don't have a fightertop 100. It's all the same   If I capture a field with a goon my scores will go up in both the bomber and fighter top 100.

So what's your idea of the fightertop 100? Most kills per sortie? Best K/D? Most sorties landed? Best gunnery percentage??

See what I mean?

Bee out

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2000, 07:35:00 PM »

Originally posted by JENG:

Now seriously the problem is we don't have a fightertop 100. It's all the same   If I capture a field with a goon my scores will go up in both the bomber and fighter top 100.

So what's your idea of the fightertop 100? Most kills per sortie? Best K/D? Most sorties landed? Best gunnery percentage??

See what I mean?

Bee out

Yup, I see what you mean.

Maybe Kills to Deaths in Fighters.

That's pretty cut and dry. You shoot down 57 fighters in fighters, and only get killed 3 times from fighters, there ya go. Track it, rank it.

I don't have the answer, but the question is raised, that's what I intended to do. I have no clue how the scoring works actually. I guess i should go look at it.

Of course, maybe HT has the answer.

funked

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2000, 08:02:00 PM »
I don't like using the current COMPLETELY BROKEN scoring system to award ANYTHING.  

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2000, 08:37:00 PM »
I really like the discussion of allowing you to re-arm and re-fuel on the Gameplay feedback/issues forum. The incentive to keep your streak alive by doing this would in itself lead to a lot more realistic flying.

Given a choice between dolin' out uber planes to elite pilots, or this, I would have to vote for the latter.

----------------

Nash
Aces High Dweeb
=SBM= The Screamin' Blue Messiahs
"Oops... Rut roh..."

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2000, 12:00:00 AM »
I think Creamo's messages are too long.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2000, 12:10:00 AM »
This has been covered before and i cant remember the consensus (if there ever was one, which i doubt).

I dont like the idea of the 'best' people getting the 'best' planes. Thats not that fair for Joe Newbie who has to deal with less than 'best' planes and fight those in said 'best' planes.

My 2 cents.

Spat <-- stands back from this one...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2000, 01:09:00 AM »
Well Spat, of course the opposite end it would be kinda like a "Duffers" award. The LAST 25 get em!

Course, that'd mean I'd be in a Me262, and I know that wouldn't go over, so I went with a logical idea.

Prob more trouble than it's worth. Just a idea.

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2000, 01:21:00 AM »
Well Rather than awarding the plane/or planes on individual merits.
Why not award it  on a team basis

For instance   taking over  certain amount of enemy terrain will allow the factory to produce  x amount of  these planes.

Like wise  production could be diminished  by  either  factory raids or  destruction of raw materials or supply lines to factories.
More Buffing More JABOing More capping ect ect ect  

Strategic elements that good team work would reward    

Elitest rewards IMO will only turn off  newbies and frustrate those that  cant seem to  attain the level needed to be rewarded.

------------------
Aces High Correspondent for  www.dogfighter.com      

[This message has been edited by Baddawg (edited 05-10-2000).]

skippy

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2000, 01:46:00 AM »
It would be nice if you have a limited # of every a/c avail in a tour, and after you've used up the "good" ones you're stuck with a Brewster buffalo or something for the remainder of the tour.  Or maybe just have another arena , call it the real life arena or something , where if you die you're out of that arena for the remainder of the tour. and you have only 3 a/c avail. if you ditch  or sustain alot of damage it takes an hour or something to 'repair' it. I know i'd pay extra to play there, since it would really cut down to nil the # of cheaters & HO get kill at all cost dweebs.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2000, 04:01:00 AM »
You guys forget one thing - that's exactly how it was in RL (no-one would put a newbie in a 262).

Another point worth considering would be that people tend to "settle" with one aircraft they prefer flying for one reason or another and (in this example) Dora may leave some of the top fighter pilots totally not interested.

But coming back to "I paid my money - I want this plane". What a crappy attitude this is! HTC are trying to balance realism with playability and doing a reasonable job at it - when the fuel tanks are destroyed at a field - anyone moans "I paid my money - I want that fuel NOW"?

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2000, 09:26:00 AM »
Lynx
are you saying newbies didnt fly 262s..of course they did.
Sorry Creamo. While I like your sneak peak idea. I dont like the top 25 or top anything idea.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2000, 09:28:00 AM »
Make the latest uberplane available, for everyone, but only at main fields.  Then add the rearm/refuel idea.  If you safely land an uberplane at a forward field, you can rearm/refuel and take off from there.

This has several effects on gameplay:

Limits the number of uberplanes.

Rewards flying to survive.

Gives defenders of a country's last (main) field uberplanes for defense, while forcing the attackers to use "lesser" planes.

If you want to give an extra incentive for doing well, allow "aces" with a streak of N kills to fly the latest uberplane from any field (even if they didn't land there).

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2000, 09:35:00 AM »
I do not like any system that basically says;
"you stay online longer,fly more,have no real life to deal with,here's a superplane just for being here all the time"
That isn't rewarding skill, it's rewarding anybody who can stay online longer than I can
(relative flying skill is a function of total time, even idjits like me get streaks if they play long enuff)

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2000, 10:03:00 AM »
Pongo - if that's a fact then I'm not surprised 262 had as much impact as they had. The whole idea of putting an unexperienced pilot into a powerful (ie demanding) machine is ludicrous. The more powerful/fast/whatever plane the more difficult it is to control it. It's that simple.

pzvg - that is assuming that everything works on some daft points system. Try flying to survive, running long streaks and you don't have to stay on-line forever. Best pilot is not the one with the maximum points count, it's the one that kills you every time. (A friend of mine once tried simple way to improve one's self discipline in flight - he logged off every time he died. And that was his WB-fix for the evening. The longer he lived the longer he flew. He'd said that his SA had never been better as it was during that time  )

The best (IMHO) way to give those uberplanes to anyone would be to set a cut off level in, say, K/D. Nice and easy - K/D>2 - you're in, drops below - get into "not-so-uber" thing and don't engage them until you manage to bump up your K/D ratio. This way there's no "elitism" of Top 25/50/whatever achieved by god-knows-what means, just the skill...

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

[This message has been edited by -lynx- (edited 05-10-2000).]