Author Topic: Base taking strategy  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Base taking strategy
« on: October 01, 2004, 06:52:21 PM »
In AH1 people made sure to kill acks and the vh FIRST when attempting to capture an enemy base. Now they seem to go after the fighter hangers first and ack and enemy gv's be damned. You also see people trying to vulch a field to suppress it with the acks still up.

It makes sense to me to kill acks and the vh first, then drop remaining ordinance on the town. It also makes sense to at least attempt to take the enemy field intact. ie, fighter hangers, bomber hangers, ord, troops and radar still up. I know this isnt possible in every situation, but it worked in AH1 most of the time.

I have heard the argument that a lone plane getting up at the field has spoiled many base captures. In fact I have seen this happen a couple of times, but have seen a gv making it to town spoil far more base captures.

Why the change in tactics all of a sudden?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 06:59:25 PM »
I had originally started on making custom tactical maps for all the fields and towns.  I figured they'd get put to good use but never really panned out.

The fields had grids and everything on them.  My own personal grid setup even had markers for drop areas that would do the most damage.  It also had assignment positions for every target.  That was mission planners could assign targets and know who's responsible.  They could also get a sit rep on targets destroyed for the second wave of attack groups.

I stopped doing them since it seemed it was just a free for all on how the fields would be taken down.

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 07:34:42 PM »
You got it right Elfie.  Base taking 101.

When the WidowMakers hit a base, we drop vh/ack 1st, always.  THEN work on town.  Occasional NOE quick capture non wistanding.  

I think we have alot of new pilots, and they don't really know how to do it right.  When my squad hits a field, it's like clockwork.  AND we usually take 'em intact.  No point capturing a porked base.  

I can't count how many times I saw a base SWARMED with friendlies for an hour 1/2, and they can't take it.  Then me and a couple squaddies show up, and it's ours quick.   There are just some basic things you have to learn to be succesful in capturing fields.

I JUST now logged, and I hit a field with 4/5 knit's.  A lone nme was in the air (deck ish) and 2-3 trying to up.  As the other knit's swooped in for the ezy vulch (and died to ack) I was shooting down acks, and deacked by myself.  Looked around, and only 1 friendly was still up.  Killed a few in the air, shot one or two trying to up, and rtb's w/ 5 kills.  Had the other 4 knits hit ack right off, they would still be up, and we'd be much further along to capturing the field.

ONE pont though, if I am in a plane with only .50 cals, I won't even TRY to de-ack a field.  It takes 2-3 passes for me to kill field acks using .50 cal.  I wish that would change back to AH 1.  200 50 cals to kill ack vs 1 20mm doesnt seem right to me.

my 2 cents
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 07:47:22 PM »
are Squad does a noe run almost evernight  same deal almost evertime

NOE Buffs on FHs
110s Mossies on Town
Fighters deack vulch Cap

the NOE buffs are ether B26s or Lancs and there very skilled at this NOE buff run abilty to take out FH

half of the time some one kills the Goon and its over
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 08:16:33 PM »
Originally posted by simshell
are Squad does a noe run almost evernight  same deal almost evertime

NOE Buffs on FHs
110s Mossies on Town
Fighters deack vulch Cap

the NOE buffs are ether B26s or Lancs and there very skilled at this NOE buff run abilty to take out FH

half of the time some one kills the Goon and its over

You dont even mention taking out the vh, gv's are a huge threat to capping a base and dropping troops on a town. Once the vh is down it normally doesnt take many fighters to keep it capped (once all airborne fighters are down).
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline tapakeg

• Nickel Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 09:57:09 PM »
ok, has something changed on base taking on AH2?

twice we have had the town FLAT, trust me it was flat, and we were able to get in 10 troops, and yes it was 10 troops dropped above 800ft agl. ( once 2 goons landed and unloaded and got nothing) And we did not get the capture.  Someone mentioned that something had changed in ah2 (ack on field or something).  Has anything changed?  Is it the same recipe........all buildings down, 10 troops in maproom?

I am willing to accept that we missed something obvious here, but there were a lot of witnesses on the fact that everything was done right for a capture.

any thoughts?

Tapakeg
You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 10:00:01 PM »
ONE pont though, if I am in a plane with only .50 cals, I won't even TRY to de-ack a field. It takes 2-3 passes for me to kill field acks using .50 cal. I wish that would change back to AH 1. 200 50 cals to kill ack vs 1 20mm doesnt seem right to me.

Carry rockets for the acks imo. Especially for manned acks. Even cannon armed a/c have to get relatively close to take out acks.

I'm guessing here, but I *think* the fact that .50's have such a hard time with acks now is because HTC changed the armor penetration values for the .50 and 20mm rnds. That could also explain why .50's seem less lethal to a/c now as well.

I think I would rather see the .50's having a hard time with acks than I would seeing .50's and 20mm guns strafing tanks to death again.

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 04:58:33 AM »
Originally posted by Elfie
Carry rockets for the acks imo. Especially for manned acks. Even cannon armed a/c have to get relatively close to take out acks.

I'm guessing here, but I *think* the fact that .50's have such a hard time with acks now is because HTC changed the armor penetration values for the .50 and 20mm rnds. That could also explain why .50's seem less lethal to a/c now as well.

I think I would rather see the .50's having a hard time with acks than I would seeing .50's and 20mm guns strafing tanks to death again.

Whatever was changed, HAS affected how a 20mm dmg's GV's, but still one NEAR hit kills ack with a 20mm (any type, jap. Brit. luft)  whereas I can put a TON o' .50 cals dead on and I STILL have to take a couple passes.  

Agreed re. the rockets.  I use 'em for ack lots.
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 06:30:31 AM »
Originally posted by simshell

NOE buff pilots dont need skill at all :rolleyes:
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 08:15:09 AM »
As opposed to auto climbing to 30k afk with the kettle on?

I believe there is just as much skill in NOE run as high alt - both need a planned route in to give a good line on targets, 30 secs calibration vs time setting up for a low drop (this is precsision ground pounding), and fighting way out through egress.

For those of you who think bombing calibration must always be used,  remember dambusters when they used the lights and sights?

If defending a base, I'd much prefer the bombers to come in low.  At least something can be done about it.

I do have a problem with the guys that suicide themselves or the ones that reckon near vertical is an acceptable drop angle, but hey watchyagonnado?

Offline Zwerg

• Copper Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 08:48:35 AM »
Originally posted by tapakeg
ok, has something changed on base taking on AH2?

twice we have had the town FLAT, trust me it was flat, and we were able to get in 10 troops, and yes it was 10 troops dropped above 800ft agl. ( once 2 goons landed and unloaded and got nothing) And we did not get the capture. [...]

There is at least 1 very small structure (something like a bunker) in town. You won't see it if you don't fly very low. Not so easy to confirm town flat in AH2.

About base taking strategy.
However you do it.
-VH must be down. There are some really good GVers. And if 1 of them decides to mix in, you're screwed.
-Ack must be down.
-Town must be flat.  :D
-You must have troops.  :rofl

mofa
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 08:57:58 AM by Zwerg »

Offline RobMo68

• Nickel Member
      • Pigs On The Wing
A death limiter would help the game! HITECH pay attention!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 10:44:46 AM »
Originally posted by Darkish
...I do have a problem with the guys that suicide themselves or the ones that reckon near vertical is an acceptable drop angle, but hey watchyagonnado?

That's is where a death limiter would put a stop on these guy's that love to pork & augre a base or CV. I think that most of the ones doing it are probably kids, who's whole use of unlimited life's in a game is to repeatedly bombard a base untill it is of no use or is taken, by rapidly re-upping and hit them again. I realize, that it is part of the game structure to capture a base by any means necessary, but these pork & augre guy's a degrading the game. It's getting to where some of the veteran's of the game are begining to use the no skill technique more often than not.

I don't remember who's idea it was (maybe Waffle,Kweasa, one of the Senior Members) had mentioned a 30 min death limiter at each base or CV, meaning that if you up from a base and die (for whatever reason, pork & augre, shot down, etc.etc.) you can't re-up from that base for 30 min. It would force you to go to another base and re-up, but if you die there, the same effect and so on. Enough of this would force a player to gain the necessary skill to STAY ALIVE, or be forced to go to another area for atleast 30 min, but would have the same consequences there also.

I understand that this would hurt the new players the most and would defeat the purpose of the 2 week free trial, if all a newbie does is up & die repeatedly during the first 2 weeks. They won't want to subscribe & stay in the game. That is where a training limiter would come in to play. Hitech should allow free unlimited use of the Training Area ONLY, to allow players to gain the necessary skills to survive in the other area's, but once you enter the Main Area ( or any area other than the T A ) your 2 week trial begins. I realize that this game has a very steep learning curve, and it might seem to take forever to gain the necessary skills to survive in the M A, that's when some sort of training profficiency test would help. I've heard it time and time again in the M A, some newbie asking " How do you land an airplane, or what button does what " and thought to myself "OH MY GOD, what is this guy doing in here, he should be in the T A learning this stuff" I know the trainers are already overwhelmed by some of the repetitive questions over and over again, and this would probably add more work for them, but that's what they're there for, and Hitech should recruit more trainers. I am more than willing to help a newbie learn to fly (I've already done that in the T A) when I see the trainers being overwhelmed or a newbie struggling to get off the ground. Although I am a relatively newbie myself and have a lot to learn about ACM, I do have some skills (like flying in both simulators and in real life, been doing it for 20 years and loving every minute that I fly, I've always aspired to own a mustang someday and will).

Anyhoo, there's a couple more pennies for ya, Hitech (are ya getting them?) LOL!:cool:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 11:11:08 AM by RobMo68 »
Speed68a
Special Forces Wing: POTW nUb:"Get outta my mud, biotch"

+~WARPIGS RACING~+
ERL S3R9 Winner

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 12:08:34 PM »
Vh doesnt matter because towns are usually far away from the field.

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
Re: Base taking strategy
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2004, 12:48:45 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
In AH1 people made sure to kill acks and the vh FIRST when attempting to capture an enemy base. Now they seem to go after the fighter hangers first and ack and enemy gv's be damned. You also see people trying to vulch a field to suppress it with the acks still up.

It makes sense to me to kill acks and the vh first, then drop remaining ordinance on the town. It also makes sense to at least attempt to take the enemy field intact. ie, fighter hangers, bomber hangers, ord, troops and radar still up. I know this isnt possible in every situation, but it worked in AH1 most of the time.

I have heard the argument that a lone plane getting up at the field has spoiled many base captures. In fact I have seen this happen a couple of times, but have seen a gv making it to town spoil far more base captures.

Why the change in tactics all of a sudden?

I don't notice a change of tactics at all really....  Since AH1 some rook squads I know of, have always been taking out FH's to make sure planes don't get up.  Why the FH's you ask?  Cus there are some squads that are just that damn good...  I used to be in Artlaw's squad - however he left the game for a while - and we used to only take 5 planes in AH1 to capture a base.  3 P51's, a 110 or Lanc, and a c47.  All 51's downed their FH's in the FIRST pass.  Then the town was ready and we got the troops in...

The problem with not taking down the FH's is that in smaller missions, you need atleast 2 people to take out the ack on the field and form a CAP.  This takes away from getting the town down and also suppressing incoming fighters from other bases.

So the tactics haven't changed a bit, but I think you are starting to see more and more squads taking out the FH's because it makes it just that much easier to capture a base.
Mak

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
Re: Re: Base taking strategy
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 09:05:10 AM »
Originally posted by Mak333
I don't notice a change of tactics at all really....  Since AH1 some rook squads I know of, have always been taking out FH's to make sure planes don't get up.  Why the FH's you ask?  Cus there are some squads that are just that damn good...  I used to be in Artlaw's squad - however he left the game for a while - and we used to only take 5 planes in AH1 to capture a base.  3 P51's, a 110 or Lanc, and a c47.  All 51's downed their FH's in the FIRST pass.  Then the town was ready and we got the troops in...

The problem with not taking down the FH's is that in smaller missions, you need atleast 2 people to take out the ack on the field and form a CAP.  This takes away from getting the town down and also suppressing incoming fighters from other bases.

So the tactics haven't changed a bit, but I think you are starting to see more and more squads taking out the FH's because it makes it just that much easier to capture a base.

Mak333 Sir.  Elfie, One of the squads he's talking about is the 339th.  Errrr WAS the 339th.  In, one pass total FH and VH distruction and out!  Take 'em down Everytime.  Clean the ACK and Cons, Trash the City and the Field was ours.  AH2 with it's larger towns, quick rebuild times, Super ACK, and finally Eny has made this a "Lost Art"  No pun intended Mak!  AH2 is no longer about Field Capture and/or resets.  It's about QuakeBirds a "First Person Shooter".  Not a SIM a game.
To take a Medium field, you'll need at least 10 pilots.  If your interested talk to anyone in my squad or me.  We will give you Base Taking - 101, 202, 303, and 404.  Some of us have our Masters mand PHD's in it.

I would hurry though.  Our show is about to "Go On the Road"

Regards Sirs,
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:09:28 AM by dracon »