Author Topic: P-51D vs. F4Uc  (Read 776 times)

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2000, 07:52:00 PM »
I fly ONLY the P-51 and have a lot of experience in combat with the F4UC. It is one plane that can actually catch and kill the P-51 when in Runstang Mode. I must qualify this however. If the P-51 sees the F4UC and has a co-alt/equal E  and is 3.0 or greater he might get out if the Corsair is not obsessed with the chase. If the F4UC has any alt advantage and equal E he will not only cahse but catch a P-51. I have lost many a wing to a F4UC at 1.2 to 1.0 being chased. I beleive the Chog's guns in HO, snaps, or long range sprays give it a clear advantage with EQUAL skilled pilots. As for Nath-BDP's combat tip: This is too dangerous a move for pilots of equal ability and with the chog's gun avantage ...VERY FOOLISH. Experience tells me turn fighting and stall fighting the P-51 is not its strong point. Might work in a ladder dual 1v1 by a better pilot but that was not the original premise. Anyway, I think HTC should look at the F4UC and see what they think. The primary reason I stay HOT and HIGH is the F4UC!

This happens too often!

Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Ice

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2000, 09:01:00 PM »
Nath... my zit laden little buddy....it is you that misunderstood me...I fly only the 51   The tactic you speak of will work on a less skilled pilot, not someone who would recognize what you were up to.

However, some in the arena can kill in anything...I'm just not one of them.

Cyas  

[This message has been edited by Ice (edited 10-16-2000).]

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2000, 09:25:00 PM »
I did beat a chog once in my P-51 from a co-e situation.

I drug him to a isolated spot close to my homeland.  I rev'd into him when he was d2.4 my six.  He was co-alt and chasing me.  I was gaining, but very very slowly.

I counted 37 rev's in that fight, with the chog firing on about 1/4 of them.  Wep was long gone and I was hitting the flaps hard, sometimes up to 3 notches, at the top of my turns.  I fired only 3 times, the last time was the fatal one for the chog. We were nearly HO.  I just got lucky and thats all.  

The game for the P-51 fighting the chog, is not the same game for the chog fighting the P-51.  The chog gets to hide behind its big bad guns, knowing that one good ping and its over.

Salute!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"Anyway, more golf..."
Humble

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2000, 09:36:00 PM »
Seems the overall questions regarding the chog are reaching a point that demands review. Without recapping my prior squeak(s) on FM the bottom line is simple.

The chog retains to much E, corners to well and zooms better than it should based on the flight data AH provides. A chog should never be able to rev on a pony at 10k and catch it. As for 1 vs 1 at that alt, in a climbing fight a chog should have ZERO chance, provided they started co-e. Now in a diving fight, the chog has the edge in all area's (personal opinion), but what decent stick would let a chog use its edge their. I agree that any climbing fight opens a legitimate possibility of a prop hanging hosing. However assuming the pony driver flys an energy fight with low G's and proper tactics he'll force the chog to run or fight from an alt disadvantage pretty easily....only it doesn't work that way any more...does it?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Nath-BDP

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2000, 10:03:00 PM »

I see no zits! Just a secksi 16 yr old.

------------------

IV.(Sturm)/JG 3 "Udet"

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2000, 10:23:00 PM »
No zits true, but get busy and clean that up.  What a mess...  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"Anyway, more golf..."
Humble

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2000, 10:56:00 PM »
Nath ; u Puppy.   Glad yer havin fun. LOL

Mino. Yer right. It's a toss-up every time I tango with one. Will I get my shot before he gets his? How many E chips am I willing to cash to let him outta the box to take that shot?? And, will I live thru the shot he's gonna get on ME the next turn cause I spent that bit of 'e' and pulled lead into the corner to take a shot of my own?

Tuff one. I can keep 'em saddled up; turn with him and keep him in front of my 3-9 line for awile.. but if you preturn 'em for lead in any serious way when in guns range they can snap right up into a rolling scissors and slice you to ribbons. Blow out yer flaps; chop yer throttle, and sure; you can lag roll him for a bit; keep him in front for a few cuts, maybe; but he's gonna wind up back cutting on yer bellybutton by the third or fourth one, opening a lag scissors of his own and popin big huge chunks off yer bird on each reverse with the Hispanos.

So yah get two; tops maybe three short shot opportunitys at the first cross overs.. Thats it. And the .50's usually lack the punch in a snaphot needed to part out a Corsair..... and if he's stirrin at the crossovers to pork yer shot...  

Oddly; I fear the Corsair even more than a Niki.. for some reason; I can turn against the George a bit better; and survive a few hits. They're a better gamble, just because of the slight reduction in hitting power; and fragile tails. Can't recall ever keepin the pony flyin after even one ping from an F4U1C.  

From this pony pilots perspective, both Niki's and F4u's seem to levitate.. and after killin a bazillion spits in the scissors moves I can say with no qualms at all; the F4U and the Niki are turnin better than Spits and Yaks at comparable E states.

FWIW.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Ice

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2000, 12:11:00 AM »
You are a cute kid nath....jus clean up that room man...stuff grows under that junk.

Cyas Up!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2000, 06:14:00 AM »
109s eat F4U-C's for breakfast  .

Well, at least the G10 does.

N1K's, now that's a different bird  .

I'd imagine in a co alt co e headon, the P-51 would blow through, extend a good bit and either drag the F4U-C around or when the distance is great enough, reverse, and have higher e state when they meet again.

Or, in a 1v1 MA setting; drag him around for long enough to friendlies to chew him up. This seems to be the favoured tactic of the runstangs I meet 1v1.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2000, 07:49:00 AM »

I'd imagine in a co alt co e headon, the P-51 would blow through, extend a good bit and either drag the F4U-C around or when the distance is great enough, reverse, and have higher e state when they meet again.

Or, in a 1v1 MA setting; drag him around for long enough to friendlies to chew him up. This seems to be the favoured tactic of the runstangs I meet 1v1.

Exactly Santa ! Why try to engage in a close in fight with a -1C when you know his guns will finish you in a single burst.

Fight to your strengths.

In my Yak, I take the fight vertical and if I'm not winning the angles after the first two loops (which I do about 80% of time), I unload and accelerate away. By the time he comes around and gets to my six, and accelerates to my speed I'm safe. Plus the Yak and -1C have approximately the same speed, so once I have that cushion, I'm safe.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Nath-BDP

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2000, 11:57:00 AM »
Bleh thats not my apartment.