Author Topic: F4u1d vs f4u1c  (Read 938 times)

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2000, 07:41:00 PM »
A -1C is a -1A with cannons.  This means that it is somewhat lighter than the -1D and has less drag because of the missing hardpoints.  It should be a bit more maneuverable than the -1D.  

The ability to film events in this game should make solving these arguments trivial.  If -1C's can do unbelievable things, then just film the events and produce the proof.

Hooligan

Offline Chango

• Zinc Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2000, 10:29:00 PM »
OMG people it cant outturn a Spit in a sustained match but if it B&Z's you and you try to flat turn you are toast.  The F4u has decent cornering ability not as good as the N1k but decent.  The Spit does not.  The Spit is good at looping fights.  Try it!!

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2000, 02:49:00 AM »

Originally posted by Hooligan:
A -1C is a -1A with cannons.  This means that it is somewhat lighter than the -1D and has less drag because of the missing hardpoints.  

Then why does the CHog have the same bomb/rocket/drop tank load than DHog?

Care to explain to me, pliz?.

Ohhh, and if it was an A version it should have wing fuel tanks...making for good fire effects and higher loads.

Either it is bad modelled or it has unrealistic loadouts. Choose one of those problems and fix it.

And yes, I have seen endless turning CHogs.

Ah, Mr Andy Bush, true , 50 cals have higher RoF than 20mm...but while you need a lot of 50 cal hits, one or two 20mm hits will do the work fer yah.

Plus the cannons make it a nice Headon machine  

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2000, 03:59:00 AM »
Sorry I didn't post this when the thread started. F4U Corsair

Scroll down some to read all about this "beast".

------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"My art is the wings of an aircraft through the skies, my music the deep hum of a prop as it slices the air, my thrill the thunder of guns tearing asunder an enemy plane."
Flakbait
19 September 2000

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2000, 04:30:00 AM »
4x20mm and ammo weigh the same as 6x.05 with ammo? Hmmmmmm ....

And please, can someone tell me the real difference (and if any, the reason) between C and D model performance? Hardpoints? hmmmmmm ... I agree with RAM ...

BTW, looks like we have plenty of FM and E wizards here. Someone enlighten me.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2000, 05:22:00 AM »
The F4U-1C does indeed climb better than the F4U-1D. By about 100fpm iirc. Why? Who knows, ask Pyro(again).

What I'm more concerned about is that the F4U-1C appears to have been "playbalanced" by the removal of 4 of it's rocket rails. It should have 8 in total, just like the F4U-1D. True.  

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2000, 05:28:00 AM »
No Juzz .. it should have none at all .. and not be able to carry any underwing stores, be that fuel or bombs .. AFAIK it was lighter than its predecessors because they removed all pylons and aerial target towing equipment.

e.g keep the C, but then remove all external stores

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2000, 06:16:00 AM »
I cannot carry DT with the C.205 (even if some models had them) and the actual C-Hog can carry ordnance that never had? No, tell me I'm wrong.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2000, 07:20:00 AM »
Wolf:  Each cannon on the -1C is the EXACT same cannon as that on the Spitfire, the Typhoon, and the P38. All are the Hispano MkII 20mm cannon, to argue otherwise is making yourself look stupid.

I don't mind Pyro taking a look at the -1C. I just find it amusing that people come in here making ridiculous bias'd and distorted claims about it being "porked" and have not the slightest bit of proof. You have a guncam, bring us proof. Real Simple issue.

And go back and check my Stats before you acuse me of being a "F-16 Pilot". Other than one or two sorties per Tour, I have only flown the -1C in a single tour (Tour 8) since Tour 1. So in 8 months, I have flown the -1C for exact one month. And I did that because of people making claims like yours. I wanted to see if they were true. But I couldn't find it, in fact I found the plane to be quite mediocre except for the guns.  Personally I fly alot of the different planes in AH. Do you? Or do you just stick with the Spit?

And a Dweebfire IX pilot calling another pilot type a dweeb? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?  

Gatt: Yes the x4 20mm plus ammunition, actually weighs slightly less than the x6 .50's plus ammunition. Hooligan did a detailed calculation here on the BBS within the past couple of weeks. I will try to find it.

Duckwing: Could you share your source with me on that? Finding good data on the -1C is hard. I do know that the -1A could carry a external drop tank (single centerline hardpoint), and the -1D could carry the pair of drop tanks (x2 wing hardpoints). And in AH the -1C and -1D don't carry the same external load, the -1C has half the number of rocket rails.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 10-17-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2000, 07:26:00 AM »
Gatt: Here is what Hooligan posted about the weight difference in the two armament packages.

Browning M2 weighs: 70 lbs
1 belted round of .50 weighs (approx): .305 lb
6xM2 + 2350 .50 rounds weigh: 1137 lbs

Hispano weighs: 129 lbs
belted round of 20mm weighs (approx): .653 lb
4xHis + 932 20mm rounds weigh: 1125 lbs

Data from page 133 in "America's Hundred Thousand".

Here is the full thread if you wish to read it.
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum9/HTML/000848.html

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 10-17-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2000, 07:28:00 AM »

Originally posted by Vermillion:
And in AH the -1C and -1D don't carry the same external load, the -1C has half the number of rocket rails.

But it carries two hard points for up to two 1000lbs and/or a BIG drop tank. 4 rockets less? who wants rockets having 4 20mm megalazers?

Verm, I rarely fly F4Us ,for sure not enough to know about differences about D and C versions, but I know that when I see a yellow nose on the F4U I'm fighting (in any plane) I am relieved because I know he wont be able to do the magical dance the C hogs does.

And if you don't trust in my experience against the F4Us, listen Duckwing. He is the best Hog pilot in AH, and he flies it almost exclusively. If he says there is a big difference in the FM and performance of both aircrafts, then it is true.

So, if you tell me that F4U1-C does the magic dance it does because it is lighter because less hardpoints than DHog, fine. Remove one of the hardpoints and let the Hog with only one. And add the wet wings,too.

If you tell me that F4U1-D does HAVE both hardpoints as modelled, then the FM has to have something wrong. Because only the change of weapons/ammo doesnt explain 100fpm more and the incredible E-retaining that the Chog shows all day long.

Methinks that a FM revision is in order.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2000, 07:34:00 AM »

Methinks that a FM revision is in order.

Proof RAM, show me proof.

I am not saying your wrong. I am saying that people come in here making wild claims without the slightest bit of proof or evidence.

All I have seen are "I got my butt kicked by the Hog, so it must be porked" arguements.

Not any " my tests show that the -1C has a average turn time of 25 seconds, while the -1D has a average turn time 29 seconds, and the -1C retains energy better by approximately 35%".

Which would you believe?

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »
Another case of "I have a big ego and was shot down, so the plane must go!"

Next on list after 1C is removed..."The Niki is a UFO and its cannons are too lethal!"

LOL!

As Verm said..."FILM PLEASE"...VMF-323 flys the CHOG for Air-to-Ground, and believe me when I tell you that NO ONE feels it has any of the abilities that some of you claim.  I believe that A) None of you that call for its removal have had alot of time in it.  And B) You CAN do something about it, take one up yourself and pay the bastard back  that shot you down!

Man, this board is really gonna warm up when the first perk planes hit the tarmac!

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2000, 07:49:00 AM »
Look some posts above...Duckwing said that F4U1-C's maneouverability is far better than DHog's and he stated that Citabria's post was NOT a troll (remember that he posted that the F4U1-C turned like a spitfire)

This aren't numeric proofs, but are claims for a guy who is not know exactly for his whinin, but for his excellent handling of the F4U. And it supports my in game experience too.

Sorry,but I have to believe him.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
F4u1d vs f4u1c
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2000, 07:54:00 AM »

s Verm said..."FILM PLEASE"...VMF-323 flys the CHOG for Air-to-Ground, and believe me when I tell you that NO ONE feels it has any of the abilities that some of you claim

Ripsnort, I have to remark this fact to you, maybe you didnt noticed it,but...

Duckwing,a member of VMF323, your own squad, has stated twice in this forum that the handling difference between Dhog and Chog is too much for the difference in weight of the weapons in both types.

That difference in weight can be owed to Chog having one less hardpoint than Dhog in real life (noone has confirmed this so far).
 But Aces High's Chog has exactly the same ammount of hardpoints than Dhog, so, or the loadouts in Chog are completely wrong, or the FM needs a revision.

Also keep in mind that F4U1-A had "wet wings", I.E. Fuel tanks on wings, that in D version were deleted. If Chog is a development of Ahog then it should have those tanks, too (and their weight, too).

Again, its not "my ego is hurt". Your own squadmate said it first, not me.

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 10-17-2000).]