Author Topic: Ok, I'm missing something obviously  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Waggle2

• Zinc Member
Ok, I'm missing something obviously
« on: October 11, 2004, 03:31:10 PM »
Obviously I’m missing something because I fire fire fire and fire some more at nme’s at close range and they NEVER die. I just emptied my entire load from a P51 into a B26 (little explosions everywhere on the B26) and he never even flinched.

I have one kill to my credit and that’s a proximity kill. :-/

I have my convergence set (in my P51) at 200, 400  and 600 to give me the greatest chance of scoring a hit at ranges less than 600 but it doesn’t help. Amazingly, my nme’s kill me with ease from 1k or greater.

A little background too. I am a decent pilot. I have decades of simulator experience starting with FS1 and various combat flight simulators.

So, what’s the deal? I know it’s not my flying because I am frequently inside of 400 on my nme’s tail with him in my crosshairs. Am I the victim of some sort of lag spiking or aimbotting?

Any ideas?

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 03:41:03 PM »
1st, your convergence is wrong...your current settings minimize your killing potential...I'd set them all at 250. You can also set them 275/250/225 inner to outer or something similiar. You need to get as much lead as possible in 1 spot to cause catosrophic damage to one part of the plane...

As for your level of expertise, I suggest spending some time in the TA or Dueling Arena. If your as far along as you think you are a tune up never hurts. You'll find plenty of folks who can help you regardless of your skill level...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Waggle2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 04:02:27 PM »
Ok, I'll try the convergence settings you suggest.

Maybe you can also explain why I am getting slammed at 1K?

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 04:47:33 PM »
Originally posted by Waggle2

Waggle,I have the same problem that you have. I have spent a long time setting convergence and settings on my stick, and this has helped somewhat. My biggest problem is stick movement while shooting. I can't seem to keep it steady while I'm shooting. So dead band and ?? what ever the other setting is have helped. I have also fimed my rides and viewed them from out of the plane. What looks like "lined-up" from inside isn't when viewed from outside. You can also get a view the the nme's plane as well. I have tried to seperate flying skills from shooting skills. I have lots of sim time and lots of real time. It doesn't tranlate to diddle when it comes to shooting. As for getting killed from 1K I think that is luck, or ack. Good Luck
peace
Pillur

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 04:49:38 PM »
Looking at your stats here, I think you will find that you are not hitting nearly as often as you may think you are.

With 50's you want concentration.  Try setting all guns to where you feel you will get the most shots.  I use 300.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 04:52:53 PM »

From a buff formation that isnt uncommon...from another fighter it is. But it does happen once in a while. Anytime your flying toward a buff your in range from 1.5...especially coming from anywhere in the tail area. Buffs have a damage multiplier on guns so hits do more damage. With a fighter your "in play" from 1.5 or so on a head on" from your 6 ~800 or so is max range...but remember lag comes into play...the guy you show as 1.2 on your 6 may show you as 800 or less on his machine.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Waggle2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 05:07:56 PM »
It surely must be server lag as you suggest as I regularly get snapshot/oneshot killed from 800 - 1k from behind while I am dodging like mad.

The thing is that my nme's are rarely on my arse for more than a few seconds while I'm pulling ever trick in the book. I have no trouble getting them off my butt. I just have trouble staying alive for more than 5 seconds.

Also, if it truely is server lag then shouldn't the server be determining a hit and not my nme's computer? Even if they show 800 and server lag is killer then they should be missing right?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 05:17:24 PM by Waggle2 »

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 05:19:07 PM »
Something isnt quite right...almost nobody is hitting an evading target at ~800 yds any more with any regularity. Most folks arent even wasting ammo at that range. Film a few, I'd bet either they are closer than you think or your looking at 1 guy and getting killed by another.

Offline Waggle2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 05:30:19 PM »
I found the answer in another post. The trouble appears to be that the "hit model/bubble" from someone's six is TINY to say the least but gets MUCH (not proportional to the size of the plane at that angle) larger from just about any other angle.

In retrospect, the only times I've been getting hit are when someone is not exactly "on my six". Also, I am almost always directly on people's six when I am firing.

IMHO it is a bug. HTC needs to make the hit model (or whatever method for collision detection they are using) to be more proportional to the cross section of the plane from the attacker's POV.

Go figure, it's actually bad tactics in AH to be on someone's six. Sigh.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 05:39:33 PM »
There is a rear view factor (objects in rear are closer than they appear), but I would be surprised if its average is more than 100 yds.  Do some formation flying and I think youll find it not near the issue it was in older games.

Some guns are especially good at reaching out there.  20mm hispanos for one, and also any centerline mounted package.  Ive blown up a p51 at 1.0+ with a half second burst in AH2, and commonly connect 800yd shots in the verticle.  But then I fly the 38 which has 5 nose guns.

I agree stick movement can be a gunnery factor.  Just like in rifle marksmanship, you need to learn to squeeeez the trigger.  Not pull, not jerk, but squeeze.  Also, you might want to check out the other thread on AH2 gunnery "How do you guys do it?"

Offline Waggle2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 06:00:15 PM »
Thanks but something is desperately amiss. I just set my convergence on my LA7 to 250. I was 200+ behind a 26. He didn't know I was there. I fired most of my rounds, hit sprites everywhere!!!! He, calmly switches to gun view and fires for 1/4 of a second. I die and he is still flying.

Pure stupidity!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 06:13:31 PM »
I was 200+ behind a 26. He didn't know I was there. I fired most of my rounds, hit sprites everywhere!!!!  

Bombers, especially 26s are tough.  If you chaged one detail of the story to hit sprites all over 1 wing!!! it would probably have a different outcome.  AH has a pretty specific damage model, 10 cannon on 1 part of a bomber is more effective than 20 on every part of it.

Btw, even long time players understand your frustration.  Everyone has their periods of:
"I ping the crap out of him and nothing happens?"
"Geez I hit that plane 50 times and he still flyin, I take 1 ping and boom"
"Assist?!?!? WTF??"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 06:31:21 PM by Murdr »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 06:57:13 PM »
Couple idea, first off I'd say the chances of either lag spiking or an aimbot are remote at best, that's a whole load of crap that you don't even want to mess with.  Secondly with 50 cal MG's I wouldn't set your convergence at 600 for anything, don't even bother at that range, all the damage on the MG's is done by kinetic energy and at 600 yeards the slug has just lost too much eneergy to do much damage.  I would also look at setting all gun pairs to converge at one range.  IMHO damage with the MG's is about concentration of firepower.  What that convergence is, is largely a matter of personal preference.  Most people would probably say somthing in the range of 200 - 400 yards.  It sounds like you're getting lots of hits but relatively few hits in any one spot which is why you're not seeing a lot of damage, on top of thatin your example you're hitting a B26, which will take a lot of punishment..

*edit* well here we are 5 hours after I started this message... wow what a day at the office, but anyway  I'm sure all of this has been gone over before by now but hey I tried.  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Waggle2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 07:20:45 PM »
Well, I was just on and I proved a point ... well sort of. I let people get on my six. They couldn't hit me worth beans ... until I made a move and then I was dead in less than 1/2 second.

The moral of the story. For gods sake keep the nme directly on your six. Do so and they can not hit you worth beans. Move and you're toast.

Added: Lastly, I remember thinking earlier today. "What is wrong with these people? Why aren't they evading?". Now I know why?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 08:00:38 PM by Waggle2 »

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 08:46:48 PM »
your problem with the 26s is the dead 6 attack you seem to be running, what you should be doing is a bnz style from the front, focusing your fire primarily on the cockpit area (pilot kill) or the wing roots (usually takes off the wing)

lead you just gotta practice till it becomes second nature.

for dead 6 attacks, place the center dot DIRECTLY on the target and fire only through your set convergance ranges, keeping the dot on it.