Author Topic: Miss Mary Lou  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Miss Mary Lou
« on: October 11, 2004, 09:57:02 PM »

Im not sure whether or not I should place the text "Miss Mary Lou" on both sides or just that one?

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 10:50:43 PM »
More than likely, just the one.

Rivets!!!  Need rivets!!!

Other than that, looks great.  I like the different colors of the bare metal.  Gives it a good look, but you may want to tone it down just a hair.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 10:13:08 AM »
Very nice!  I just happen to have a 1/48 scale model of this plane - got it for Christmas a few years back and its the only model I have.
Some other details:
  • The "Miss Mary Lou" is on both sides of the cowl, which is a bit unusual.   Also, the letters should have a yellow offset layer,  slightly below and to the right of the main layer.
  • The cowl flaps can be made the same color blue as the tail stripes, if you want - I've seen pictures of it both ways.
  • The stabilizer surfaces are natural metal, not olive drab, with the same color blue ID stripe through them (both sides).
  • Don't forget the 4 kill markers!

Here's a link to a pic of the model (scroll down to the pic):http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/us/kolp47.htm

You're off to a very good start, Raptor.   Can't wait to see this baby in game!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 10:17:45 AM by oboe »

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 06:09:39 PM »

I had already made the tail metal, but from the lighting in that picture it was hard to see.
After I posted I realized that I forgot the kill markings and went and fixed that and touched up some of the metal. The model on that site you posted is a little different than the one I was doing. I did not make the wingtips blue but it did encrourage me to add some red on the right wing flap. Also I noted a bit of red on the picture I was working on and put a little bit on the wing tip.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 06:16:52 PM »
Hmmm ... little bit of red on the wingtips? Did P-47s have wing lights? If so that may well be the port side wing light (red) ... with the starboard side being green. IF ... it had wing lights.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 06:38:49 PM »
yeah it did have wingtip lights...

and the decal sheets for scale models aren't always accurate. case in point, "touch of texas" dan's scan shows a blue banded cowling, while the decal sheet i have shows it white. i trust dan over the decal sheet any day - besides blue looks better.

good work raptor - you may want to see if you can fade the O/D since the pacific sun was pretty harsh on paint.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 07:21:06 PM »
I think I will just leave the lights off because the bottom of the wings mirror so wouldnt be able to get red and green.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 07:29:04 PM »
Not all that big a deal. Not everyone notices small details like that anyhoo.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 08:37:40 PM »
Rapter Email me at nopoops190@sbcglobal.net. I'll send you some stuff to look at and work with. Give you a feel of stuff to fiddle with.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 10:21:19 PM »
Nice job Raptor !!!

The cowl flaps in your picture are olive drap, while your rendition has them as bare metal.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 10:38:31 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
The cowl flaps in your picture are olive drap, while your rendition has them as bare metal.

I was waiting for someone to notice that, already fixed it though. Just figured I had enough screen shots in here for now

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 04:14:42 PM »

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 05:08:46 PM »
what paint program r u using? if its stuff like Photo Shop 7 or 6 or w/e trey fiddling with all of the effects! looking good though

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 05:12:58 PM »
Looking good Raptor ... now the 325429 needs to be just a teensy weensy bit smaller ... and we need a high-res shot of that badboy to really soak it all in.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Miss Mary Lou
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 05:20:46 PM »
I use serif photoplus 5.5 to make the skins, I have paint shop pro but 7 but have trouble using it (too complicated for me). so I only use it to convert the files to 8bmp color (they get really messed up when converting to 8bmp using photoplus)