Author Topic: Thought on the new Osama video  (Read 2684 times)

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Thought on the new Osama video
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2004, 11:18:31 PM »
The US still had good UN support for Afghanistan, so I don't know where the "lip service" remark applies to that operation. So for that operation - yeah - I agree it was uncalled for.

But it's been pretty well documented that France among other "friends" had their own interests in Iraq which affected their actions. And it wasn't just that they wouldn't support the operation, they openly opposed it and raised anti-American sentiments around the world. I hope you can understand where many American families who lost loved ones fighting for the liberation of Europe got somewhat PO'd by this sort of behavior.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2004, 11:42:06 PM »
Y'know ... I typed in a reply but to hell with it ... I don't waste my time on those who preach bigotry of any kind. You made your opinion of Americans very clear, Gunther.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 11:52:23 PM by DoKGonZo »

Offline JoOwEn

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2004, 12:00:21 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
You, among others that share your opinion "That many of our "friends" really weren't our friends at all. It was a rude wake-up call when countries we bailed out of two World Wars wouldn't stand beside us when we asked for their help."

America likes to fight wars and keel bad people.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 12:03:42 AM by JoOwEn »

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2004, 12:02:54 AM »
Wow GS, hitting the bottle tonight or something?

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2004, 12:05:46 AM »
Burr under your saddle?

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2004, 12:11:04 AM »
I can't recall a time when America was ever particularly popular. Probably never will be. What are you getting at?

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2004, 12:32:45 AM »
Gun-toting lunatic? Unfortunate, but the fact is that most of us are pretty seriously PO'd and agree that it's past time to face our problems head-on. This thing was going to come to a head sooner or later; it was just a matter of time.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2004, 01:01:17 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
I'm serious about the dislike (polite term) for Americans here in Norway now. ALL my friends can't wait for the US to fail, collapse, go bankrupt etc. They just wish they'll be alive to see it. I tell them they're wrong (even lost a couple of friends over this), but what can I do.

Yes Ladies and Gents, I'm considered a hopeless pro-American here. *lol*

Norway will collapse, bankrupt, etc., before the US.  Again, being an American with a wife and kid, I can give a rat's arse what you think of me.  Harbor YOUR hate little boy, just know this genius, I don't hate YOU.   Touche *****cat.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2004, 01:16:55 AM »
"Give me your tired, your poor, your hungry... as long as they vote Republican"
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2004, 01:25:20 AM »
A gift from the French :D

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2004, 02:02:49 AM »
Originally posted by VOR
the fact is that most of us are pretty seriously PO'd and agree that it's past time to face our problems head-on. This thing was going to come to a head sooner or later; it was just a matter of time.

Maybe it's time to see the forest from the trees and actually treat the cause and not just the symptoms.

The trillions of dollars spent, all those asinine foreign policies enforced in the middle-east for the last 50 years, in a vain attempt to emplace an iron cast around the American achille's heel. What has it brought you?

If all that money and effort was used instead for research into technologies for alternative fuel sources and increased fuel economy for cars. You guys could of washed your hands of the whole middle-eastern affair decades ago.

If i was running fer office my platform would be one item, i'd tender out prizes in the billions to any company that could mass produce viable alternative fuel sources and 50 mpg automobiles. How quick do you think the technologies would exist if lets say the total prize package was worth 290 billion?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 02:07:01 AM by Torque »

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2004, 02:28:39 AM »
Gunther,

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding in Europe about America and Americans.

First, do not judge us by our politicians - which is probably a universal truth, but for some reason Europeans see our President as a reflection of us as people. As you have no doubt observed from this BBS, this is very far from the truth - we range from violent agreement to virulent despisal of our government.

Next, this notion that we sit around all day planning world domination ... maybe our government does, but most Americans are too damn busy working 10 hours a day, 50 weeks a year, with an hours commute each way. So most Americans get quite taken aback when we're accused individually of being war-mongering imperialists ... when we just finished spending the last 4 weekends filling out our damn tax forms and haven't even had time to be lied to by CNN and Fox News.

Next, America was, is, and probably always will be a reactionary country. We're quite happy Taking Care of Business until someone fires a shot across our bow. The Lusitania, Pearl Harbor, 9/11 ... you wake the giant and no force on earth will stop the prettythang-kicking to follow. To the European mindset, this is no doubt hard to understand - how we can sit back and let crap happen until it happens to us. But that's our nature more or less since after the War of 1812. But hey, Russia's paranoid about their extended border with Europe - we all have our quirks.

Next, understand how this despisal of the US looks to Americans. When Europe needed us in WW1 and WW2 - we were there. During the Cold War, when Europe needed a huge standing army and piles of money to repel the Red Menace - we were there. When any country needed foreign aid - we were there. And then the Cold War ends - and all of a sudden it's "F U Americans." How do you expect us to react? Europeans pay higherr taxes overall - but at least the money you pay in taxes pretty much is used for your own country - a big chunk of ours gets shipped off to help countries who "wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire."

Next, the French. The venom towards the French started when they wouldn't let us overfly their airspace to drop a surprise on Gen. Ghaddafi in Libya. If they'd just said: "No, we can't send troops to Iraq" it'd have been OK I think. But they opposed us and more or less were the focal point for a coalition against us. To the American mindset this was tantamount to treason. We bled for them in two World Wars, and stationed thousands of troops to defend them during the Cold War - and this is our thanks? This attacks the core of the basic American generousity - that we are willing to help countries oceans away. But we don't like getting kicked in the balls for our trouble.

Lastly, American arrogance. Yeah, we're a snotty bunch at times - not worse than the French, of course. :)  But hey, in 230 years we went from being a bunch of yokels throwing dog poo at the Red Coats to the mightiest nation on the planet. Not bad. Like it or not, the Free World depends on our military and our economy. We know it. You know it. Deal with it. But don't expect us to beg for anyone's friendship - to the American mindset if we're presented with a situation where no matter what we do we'll get spit on for one reason or another, we pretty much stop caring what other people think. If these fences get mended it'll be from positions of mutual respect.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2004, 02:34:33 AM »
Originally posted by Torque

If i was running fer office my platform would be one item, i'd tender out prizes in the billions to any company that could mass produce viable alternative fuel sources and 50 mpg automobiles. How quick do you think the technologies would exist if lets say the total prize package was worth 290 billion?

Absolutely ... as long as Halliburton was prevented from bidding.

Oh ... and throw in national health insurance to the platform too ... we ain't got none, ya know.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2004, 02:39:06 AM »
screw you guys, we're doing this our way

Actually, it was more like "We can't wait around for you guys to draw up another 20 or so resolutions in the UN while our people get slaughtered. Since you all want to twiddle your thumbs for an unknown and unacceptable delay, we'll have to go after the bad guys with those ready to go now."

France and Germany are another story.  They had oil deals w/ Iraq and felt their oil deals were more important than the war on terror.  The French are pathetic and a waste... I believe the Germans are  just misguided and if their hand is forced by the terrorists, they will respond w/ ferocity.

* Edit: a darned shame about the French, they had much to do w/ us gaining our independence.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

storch

« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2004, 06:22:36 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
* Edit: a darned shame about the French, they had much to do w/ us gaining our independence.

Their meager contribution was long ago repaid in American blood.