Author Topic: Get A Clue  (Read 1427 times)

Offline FuBaR

• Nickel Member
Get A Clue
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:30:15 PM »
dear HTC take this stupid ack exploit away please...how are we supposed to take a port if ack comes up in 30 seconds?

You have successfully made an ingame cheat for lamers and " game gamers" to use....

Please do something about this

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:27:29 PM »
Fubar, they are not going to have and clue what you are talking about.  Try reposting what the problem is.

Offline FuBaR

• Nickel Member
OH FINE
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 07:33:26 PM »
I guess it starts here. Port Capture attempt......acks get killed.....LVTs drop 8 sets of supps...acks regen instantly.....no way to capute port.....Whels...Hammy...some WMs...and a few more are using it as a  base defense  tool...CLEAR ENOUGH

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Get A Clue
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 01:03:14 AM »
Why is it that you just noticed this, no one else seems to have noticed and reported it either, and yet you are all ticked off about it like its been there forever and no one has done anything?  Jeeze man, get a grip.  I'm sure they'll look at it and fix it.  

In the meantime, see if Furby will share his meds with you.  You seem stressed.  ;)

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 05:57:43 AM »
This feature has been around from Ah2 dot.  Only way to stop it is to knock out the troops first- then de-ack.

By the way, what's the poundage needed to take down the port's vh, it appears to be very tough indeed.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:33:16 AM »
Originally posted by Darkish
This feature has been around from Ah2 dot.  Only way to stop it is to knock out the troops first- then de-ack.

By the way, what's the poundage needed to take down the port's vh, it appears to be very tough indeed.

You currently cannot knock down troops on a carrier.  He wasn't spawning M3's at the port and suppling the port that way.  Won't work because the M3 spawned there.  

Whels was spawning LVT's from the carrier that was just off shore.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Get A Clue
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 08:59:47 AM »
Sounds like there isn't a bug,

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 09:14:25 AM »
Yes Hitech, it wasn't a bug.

More of a clever exploit of the holes in the system.

When a CV is right next to a port, it is impossible to capture. The LVT2 spawns directly at the port, regardless whether or not the capital ship is dead or alive.

So, by launching a LVT2 from the CV, then dropping supplies, and then exiting the vehicle, this process takes 2 seconds.

By repeating this endlessly, a port will be resupplied back to full defensive status within 30 seconds.

We've tried everything we could think of - we even thought of spawncamping the LVT spawn area - except no matter how fast one tries to shoot at a spawning LVT, he will always drop supps faster than the LVT is blown up.

Thus, one person, endlessly spawning and dropping supplies, held back an entire flight of some 20 planes at the port. It became impossible to run troops in.

I think something must be done about this.

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 11:04:27 AM »
Originally posted by Darkish

it was around in AH1 also.

Dark, i think the problem with the VH is same with ack
at ports being xtra hard to shoot.  if u notice when u bomb a port
u get a water splash, not bomb crater even if u hit the ground.

i think there is a problem in how/where the port is placed on the ground.  ive dropped a bomb on a ack and killed a ack
somewhere else on the base. so port graphics arent right i dont think.

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 01:38:41 PM »
Heh, why not just wait for the CV to go away?  There were plenty of other bases for you guys to horde at the time.  I'm sure the Knights would have moved the CV notrh eventually to counter your massive land grab.  Then the port would have fallen like a rock.  Instead you all thought it would be a better idea to concentrate way too much manpower on P47 and not the surrounding airfields (which was only one at the time, to the south).  All that became of it was a wall of Rooks for hours on end volunteering to become nothing more than cannon fodder for my fellow Knights on the ground.  Sounds like bad strategy to me.  Most definately not a bug.

BTW, this is not entirely my opinion but... it has always seemed to me that the MA was intended for GAMING.  If you want to SIMULATE combat try the CT, or better yet check out what's going on in the SEA.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 02:09:49 PM »
Sounds more like poor offensive planning and smart defense. Wait till the CV has cleared the port, THEN take the port. You can always track down the CV and kill it later.

Yes, it's gaming the game. But it's hardly using a 2nd account to hunt down a CV that belongs to a port you captured or drive it into an ambush. The Knights are pro's at that. Just last week I had a CV hiding out in the middle of nowhere and a lone Knight bomber went straight to it.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 02:42:35 PM »
Scrap, what you are talking about is completely irrelevant. The issue at hand is people planned a offensive, took the right steps for capture, secured the critical advantage needed, and yet was still thwarted by an awkward problem previously unforeseen.

rpm, to a certain extent, yes, it is smart.

Personally I'm not mad at whels at all - while it is frustrating, my personal philosophy is that as long as something is possible within the game, no one can deny someone else for doing such things.

The only thing that may or may not stop a person from doing something like that, will be his own judgement in relation with common sense and conscience. If whels figured that Knits really needed that port, and was determined to stop capture then it is completely understandable. I feel no guilt when I spam the entire VH area with GV supps to defend it - its the same thing in my opinion.

However, this is a matter regardless of being smart or unsmart. I don't think there's any way one can say that such things being possible is reasonable, nor is it to be considered a valid strategy. It was an obvious overlook not often encountered in the game, but would need a fix sooner or later.

So, on a non-personal level, at objective grounds, what whels did should not be possible, and should be fixed.

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 04:29:43 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
If whels figured that Knits really needed that port, and was determined to stop capture then it is completely understandable. I feel no guilt when I spam the entire VH area with GV supps to defend it - its the same thing in my opinion.

Kweassa,

in effect, it had the intended outcome. it made the rooks focus on 1 base (p47) and forget the entire front they were working.
when i logged off, Rooks had went from attacking 6 bases
down to 1, and had 90+ pilots  involved.  that  allowed the other knits to retake some bases and thwart the offencive steamroller
that was happening on both fronts, especially Rook/Knit.

Offline Nuke33

• Copper Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 04:51:49 PM »
The problem is that the LVT's spawn out in the water and are able to resupply the base from the water. They dont even have to move. Spawn, drop, tower. Spawn, drop, tower. Etc etc.. In my opinion that is what needs to get fixed. They sould have to move to the land and drop the supps there. After all, how is the base supposed to get the supplies way out in the water? And when 90 people are attacking they could supress the LVT's just like any other time. Just my 2 cents..

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Get A Clue
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 05:10:09 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Sounds like there isn't a bug,

No, not a bug.  It's exploiting game mechanics, pure and simple, and an example of cheese to the extreme.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136280