Author Topic: Do the french charge us money to maintain the graves at Normandy???  (Read 2977 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
A friend of mine mentioned to me the other day that the french charge us money to maintain the American graves at Normandy.
Is this true?  Can anyone confirm this?  I've Googled but have not found any direct confirmation.  I find that a little hard to believe, even for the french.

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Do the french charge us money to maintain the graves at Normandy???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 12:08:44 PM »
Yes- the French charge us money for grave maintenance. They also charge rent for the Statue of Liberty and they fart in our general direction.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 12:10:03 PM »
Are you saying that it isn't true?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 12:11:22 PM »
Hes talking, but not saying anything - dont give it a second thought.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 12:15:57 PM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
Are you saying that it isn't true?

What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter if it's true or not- this Thread will deterorate into a French-bashing one within twenty posts.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 12:18:47 PM »
Actually it does matter to me if its true or not.  But thanks for your input.

Wab

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 12:27:40 PM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
Actually it does matter to me if its true or not.  But thanks for your input.

Wab

OK, assuming it's true, so what? C'mon c'mon Wab, get to the moral outrage part of this Thread- I don't have all day.

Frankly the cemetaries are American territory, IMO. Just like our Embassy. And yes, we pay the French maids for cleaning the Embassy, too.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 12:43:44 PM »
IIRC, there's a division of the State Department that is responsible for foreign cemeteries.  Of course, they probably contract the work out to the locals, so you can still be hang on to your indignation.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 12:48:35 PM »
Actually I'd prefer not to assume its true.  I found the claim incredulous.   Not finding any Google reference suggests its not, but before I call BS I'd like to know I'm on solid ground.

I don't like the french, but the one classy thing I thought they did was provide this monument to all the thousands of American boys that died on their beaches trying to liberate their country.  While individual people tend to forget the sacrifices others have made for them, institutions tend to have a longer memory.    However, if their making a profit off it, it sorta make that argument seem rediculous.

Thanks,
Wab

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 12:54:02 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
IIRC, there's a division of the State Department that is responsible for foreign cemeteries.  Of course, they probably contract the work out to the locals, so you can still be hang on to your indignation.

Thanks for the info.  Do you know if they lease us the ground or is it given?

And I don't believe I've expressed any indignation.

Wab

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 12:56:46 PM »
§ 2104. Military cemeteries in foreign countries

Release date: 2003-05-29

When, as a result of combat operations, the Armed Forces establish military cemeteries in zones of operations outside the United States and the territories and possessions of the United States, the American Battle Monuments Commission and the Secretary of the Army, immediately on the cessation of hostilities, shall decide which of the cemeteries will become permanent cemeteries or, if they decide it is desirable, shall select new sites for the cemeteries at any other location. The Commission is solely responsible for the design and construction of the permanent cemeteries, and of all buildings, plantings, headstones, and other permanent improvements incidental to the cemeteries, except that—
(1) the Armed Forces are responsible for maintaining the permanent cemeteries until the Commission declares its readiness to assume the authorized administrative duties and powers;
(2) all construction undertaken by the Armed Forces in establishing and maintaining the cemetery prior to its transfer to the Commission shall be nonpermanent;
(3) burials and reburials by the Armed Forces shall be carried out in accordance with plans prepared by the Commission; and
(4) the Armed Forces have the right to re-enter a cemetery transferred to the Commission to exhume or re-inter a body if they decide it is necessary.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 12:58:28 PM »
"I don't like the french, but the one classy thing I thought they did was provide this monument to all the thousands of American boys that died on their beaches trying to liberate their country. While individual people tend to forget the sacrifices others have made for them, institutions tend to have a longer memory."

Ah...good, good...now we're getting to the moral indignation part.
Thanks for hurrying it up for me Wab.

Now get in here, Bodhi, Nubob and Mazz- we have a short week  so we need to get this pigpile done by Thursday..

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 01:01:09 PM »
The Commission administers, operates, and maintains twenty-four permanent American burial grounds on foreign soil.  Presently there are 124,917 U.S. War Dead interred at these cemeteries, 30,922 of World War I, 93,245 of World War II and 750 of the Mexican War.  Additionally 6,010 American veterans and others are interred in the Mexico City and Corozal American Cemeteries.  For details about these cemeteries click on the link to the right.   The following maps are available:

Eastern France, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg
Western France and England
Italy and Southern France
Central Pacific - Hawaii and Guadalcanal
Western Pacific - Philippines and New Guinea

http://www.abmc.gov/abmc2.htm

I would say that the answer to your question is NO, the french do not charge us to maintain our cemeteraries, or lease the land to us.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline parker00

• Copper Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com/joomla/index.php
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 01:04:51 PM »
While individual people tend to forget the sacrifices others have made for them

Not much for sticking up for the French but if it wasn't for them, would we be who we are today. They are the ones who helped us win our independance.

68Parker

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »
Ah...good, good...now we're getting to the moral indignation part.

The indignation was against the idea that the french goverment only maintained the graves because we payed them.  I assumed the french did it out of respect.  To simplify it for you, in the strict context of this particular issue, I was on the side of the french.  

So again, thanks for your input, but try and pay closer attention.

Wab
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:17:37 PM by AKWabbit »