Author Topic: High blood pressure  (Read 5870 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 10:33:53 PM »
You're right about stress, it can cause hypertension all by it's self.

As for the red wine, it does'nt have to be $50 a bottle wine. You can drink Riunite Lambrusco and get the same beneficial effects without thinking you just took a swig of Windex. A $10 1.5L of Ste. Geneveve Texas Red is a great pick, too. Reds are really good with beef, so a glass of wine at dinner or cooking with it is not a bad way to start.

My personal favorite red with a great steak is Beaulieu Vineyard's Rutherford Estate Napa Valley Cabernet. It runs about $25 a bottle if you can find any, but it rivals Opus One that runs around $200.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 10:42:25 PM »
>>My highest recorded resting BP was 179/130. I thought the doctor was gonna freak.
<<

Good reason - the diastolic is stroke territory.

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 10:56:13 PM »
Here are my guidelines for bp

Top number (systolic)
>205 - go to emergency room
>190- call doctor next day
>175-mention it the next time at doctor

Bottom number (diastolic)
>120 - go to emergency room
>110- call doctor next day
>95 - mention it next visit

Maybe a doctor could give better guidlines - any here?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 10:57:43 PM »
Originally posted by opus
Good reason - the diastolic is stroke territory.

The reason I take my meds every day. ;)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 11:05:10 PM »
Originally posted by opus
Here are my guidelines for bp

Top number (systolic)
>205 - go to emergency room
>190- call doctor next day
>175-mention it the next time at doctor

Bottom number (diastolic)
>120 - go to emergency room
>110- call doctor next day
>95 - mention it next visit

Maybe a doctor could give better guidlines - any here?

You better dial back those systolic numbers. 175 is high for anyone. 160 is about as high as you can go without risking damage. Remember you should take your BP after resting for 10-15 minutes. Walking into WalMart and taking it at the pharmacy will give you a false high reading. Just that small amount of exercise will throw it off. The only way to accurately test your BP exercising is to take a stress test.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 11:14:20 PM »
Not easy in a stressful world, but from what I've read, best things most people can do for healthier body and life style include:

Drink plenty of water.

Exercise, at least moderate walking, at least 30 minutes every other day.

Eat a moderate amount of food in a balanced diet.

Drink a glass of red wine daily.

Take a multivitamin daily tailored to your age and needs.

Consume only minimum amounts of salty, fatty, or sugary food and drink.

Resist the heavy advertising of junk food and drinks.  

Stay as calm as you can -- resist temper and anger especially when nonproductive.

Take care of your spiritual needs as well as your physical needs.

Keep interested in learning new things.

Read Desiderata periodically.

Having said all this, I've known some very fit and healthy people who died anyway in their 40s and 50s apparently from genetic deficiencies passed along in their families, e.g., pilot in mid 50s died from colon cancer just as his pilot father died in his mid 50s.

And I know some other people who by careful health management apparently are outliving relatives with similar family health tendencies.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 11:18:02 PM »
Yea you're right - I think if the systolic ran over 175 for a few hours I would probably call the doctor then (not wait for the next day). I'm not sure, but I thiink a systolic reading below 200 doesn't risk immediate vascular damage (if the person is in good health). The systolic is so dynamic - run for a few miles and its quite possible to get that number up there, but it should drop rapidly after resting. That makes me think the vessels can handle 180 -200. Above that and the risk of permanent vascular weakening arises (I think its defined at 207 or 217 systolic).

I'm borderline - not high enough for medication, but have to watch the salt and exercise daily. I average 130-140/86-94.

I gota quit smoking too :(

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 11:27:56 PM »
Good tips

Just had a physical and my BP is normal, on the low end.  Been doing the gym thing, watch what I eat, yada yada.

However...

Family history with cholesterol.  Even with all that I do, eating rabbit food and doing everything good you can possibly do, my cholesterol score is high on the bad side (good cholesterol is fine).  Im not in the dangerzone, just a tad high where they want to test again and if its still there, prescribe medication to bring it within better levels.  (Crestor, etc)

Toad had some good vitamin tips a while back, I cant recall who else did (capt apathy?).  Not sure if it was this forum or mine.  Either way, wouldnt be a bad idea to add in a multivitamin into the mix

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
High blood pressure
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 11:31:20 PM »
Had chest pains about a month ago, went in right away. Went through alot of tests and they have ruled out the heart. My overall cholesterol was 189(they like it under 200), my bad cholesterol was 123(they like it under 130). My blood pressure was around 120 over 80(70's most of the time) and my heart rate was around 55- 65 while I was being monitored(they tell me that's low and good. I will be 40 in april, so I was worried when I got the pain, I freaked out, got anxiety and everything. I thought there was something wrong with my heart for sure(I was never so scared in my life), but it seems the heart is ok(I hope).

I was told is that high blood pressure and high cholesterol is passed down from your parents(genes).

Gunslinger makes a good point, I eat salad almost every other day, and I make my own salad dressing from red wine vinegar and olive oil(extra virgin of course!). I use more red wine vinegar than olive oil(love the taste). Now, I may be wrong, but I think the red wine vinegar may be just as good as red wine(and the veggies don't hurt either)
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2004, 11:42:16 PM »
Remember that you can substitute grape juice for red wine.

Studies have shown that both can reduce LDLs in cholesterol.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
High blood pressure
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2004, 11:47:37 PM »
Originally posted by Drunky
Remember that you can substitute grape juice for red wine.

Studies have shown that both can reduce LDLs in cholesterol.

And it makes ur poop green and smelly. Concord grape, oh yeah.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004, 11:52:10 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
And it makes ur poop green and smelly. Concord grape, oh yeah.

The old grape Gatoraid used to  do that also :)

Then they stopped making it.

Maybe because it mad your poop green and smelly.

I kinda like it actually.  Gave me something to talk about during lunch at work.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 12:01:36 AM »
Blueberries are LOADED with antioxidants.

Also try Bluegreen algae :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2004, 12:42:50 AM »
Originally posted by Octavius
Blueberries are LOADED with antioxidants.

Also try Bluegreen algae :)

I tend to avoid things that grow in the hottub when I forget to add bromine. :eek:
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2004, 12:53:36 AM »
Had chest pains about a month ago, went in right away. Went through alot of tests and they have ruled out the heart. My overall cholesterol was 189(they like it under 200), my bad cholesterol was 123(they like it under 130).

The new rule for bad cholesterol is under 100 now rather then 130. Under 130 is still good but 100 is now 'optimal'

I just got results back yesterday as a matter of fact.

Overall I was 194 and bad was 117.

My doctor said under the 'new' guidelines that the bad should be under 100.

Here they are:

http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/cholesterol-levels

My bp was weird 120/90 in my right arm and 129/94 in the left. The Doctor says he will keep an eye on it.

I weigh 223 and am 5'11', 35yrs old and don't smoke or drink. I gained about 15 lbs this summer and the suggestion was to drop it and monitor the BP.