Author Topic: High blood pressure  (Read 5870 times)

Offline EN4CER

• Nickel Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2004, 08:04:07 AM »
My BP used to be around 110 / 120 over 70.  During an annual physical it turned up 150 over 100.  Also my cholesterol level was 240 - 275.  I exercise regularly -always have and eat rather healthy.  My cardiologist put me on beta blockers and ZOCOR.  Woke up one night and I thought I felt my heart stop.  My Pulse was 24 according to my wife who at the time was a Nurse Practitioner.  Spent the night in the ER - Beta Blockers and I don't mix well.  A job transfer plus better diet seemed to resolve the BP problem and the meds and diet handled the cholesterol which is down to 160 - 170 overall.  Don’t wait another 10 years for a physical – make it every year if you can and monitor your BP Daily.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 08:23:54 AM »
Had my BP @ 200/140 once.  Could hear my heart pounding in my head, eyes were beet red and finger tips were purple.  I never seen my Dr move so fast.  I was like the "Main Event" of the day. Nurses all over me.  I've been on meds for high blood pressure since then and that was about 3 1/2 years ago.  I keep it in check now.

:)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2004, 08:24:40 AM »
diet & exercise

watch the pie hole and move the legs & arms
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2004, 09:18:25 AM »
Had a scare about 3 weeks ago when I was at the doctors office when mine read 149/92.  The doctor was not impressed, made me go buy a bp machine, now I take it 3 times a day, record it, and make sure it is not getting higher.  It averages 125/81.  Either way, hypertension is somethjing to never shreck around with as it will kill you.

I have had to change my diet and alleviate stress at work.  Am taking it very seriously, cuz I wanna get my flight medical back.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2004, 12:15:15 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
for those that don't know what RPM is talking about RE: the red wine thing.

It was recently announced that common beer is as effective as red wine. Like wine, moderation is the key.

That reminds me of an old George Carlin joke.

"Newsflash: It has been discovered that saliva causes stomach cancer, but only when exposed to small amounts over a long period of time."

I am fortunate to have inherited good genes. I'm almost 52, and just had my annual check-up. BP was 110/68, cholesterol was 159.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:18:42 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2004, 12:37:26 PM »
Actually any alcohol will do, at the right amount.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2004, 01:36:44 PM »
Coooooootttttttttteeeeeerrrrr r wants to play!!!!!!!11
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2004, 02:10:47 PM »
It's just the opposite in my family.  We have incredibly low BP's.

I don't think anyone in my family (mother's side) has ever tested above 120/60 ever.  I do 110/50 most of the time.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2004, 02:20:30 PM »
I'm thinking I could use some more of that potted meat, if you have any extry.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2004, 03:10:40 PM »
Get very high quality fish oil and take 1 or more capsules a day.  The low quality crap has kelp and other impurities that make the same types of fatty acids found in fish oil, however kelp collects other impurities so the cheap fish oil capsules contain a higher percentage of impurities and non-fish oils, and that's just not good for you.

The way to tell the difference is if you take 3-4 of the good capsules, the worst you'll get is maybe a burp or two half an hour later.  If you take 4 of the cheap ones, you'll be burping fish for hours and have other intestinal "issues" as well.

Even one a day ought to help the cholesterol though, just get the good stuff.  One way to tell if it's high quality is to see if they track the bottles by production lot.  If they don't, then their quality control isn't up to pharmecutical standards.  If they do, including lot number and manufacturing facility right on the packaging, then there's a good chance they pay attention to the quality and aren't adding fatty acids from kelp in along with the fish oil.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2004, 05:43:47 PM »
High blood pressure. I got a shock recently when I went to renew my class 1 aviation medical. They put me on a 24 hour monitor to check it wasn't 'whitecoat syndrome'. But it was high even when I sleep. So my own doctor put me on Tritace which seemed to do the job.
The big shock came when I asked how long I'd be on medication. 'For life' they said. What a bummer!  I have to stay on medication anyway if I want to keep my pilot's licence.

It all gives you intimations of mortality. On the plus side my fiance is fussing over me more than usual, at least until the insurance is paid up. ;) And my Mother is being nice to me for once. Which is a breakthrough. :lol

Thanks for the info on red wine and Whiskey.  Both will now become my tipple of choice, purely medicinal of course.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2004, 05:51:10 PM »
cpxxx try eating more fish.  Or taking fish oil.  I don't like most fish so I take high dose fish oil.  It dropped both my cholesterol and BP, and reduced the inflammation in my lower back so I was able to cut my ibuprofen intake to almost nothing.

As a side benefit, I find that I am significantly less groggy in the morning when I'm taking the fish oil.  

I've gone on and off the oil a couple of times to prove to myself that it really is responsible for the effects I see, and I have been convinced by my test results and how I feel every day.  I tried it to begin with because my brother saw the same benefits I'm seeing when he started taking it.  I assume it has different effects on different people (fish oil gives my Mom more vivid dreams) but the lower cholesterol, BP, and reduced inflammation seem to be common among those taking high doses of fish oil.  Too high of a dose can be counterproductive and I've found that 3 capsules a day seems to work best for me, but up to 4 a day isn't going to cause major problems if it's high enough quality stuff.

In the interest of honesty and completeness, I must also say that I have never tried snake oil or pot even though both have also been touted as cure-all health supplements.  I have a pair of shoes with some hemp fiber content and they are comfortable, but I won't claim hemp will solve the world's problems either :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 05:54:42 PM by eagl »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2004, 08:29:23 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
cpxxx try eating more fish.  Or taking fish oil.  I don't like most fish so I take high dose fish oil.  It dropped both my cholesterol and BP, and reduced the inflammation in my lower back so I was able to cut my ibuprofen intake to almost nothing.

As a side benefit, I find that I am significantly less groggy in the morning when I'm taking the fish oil.  

I've gone on and off the oil a couple of times to prove to myself that it really is responsible for the effects I see, and I have been convinced by my test results and how I feel every day.  I tried it to begin with because my brother saw the same benefits I'm seeing when he started taking it.  I assume it has different effects on different people (fish oil gives my Mom more vivid dreams) but the lower cholesterol, BP, and reduced inflammation seem to be common among those taking high doses of fish oil.  Too high of a dose can be counterproductive and I've found that 3 capsules a day seems to work best for me, but up to 4 a day isn't going to cause major problems if it's high enough quality stuff.

In the interest of honesty and completeness, I must also say that I have never tried snake oil or pot even though both have also been touted as cure-all health supplements.  I have a pair of shoes with some hemp fiber content and they are comfortable, but I won't claim hemp will solve the world's problems either :)

how many miligrams?

as for monitoring your bp, what do you all use at the house? a cuff & scope like the doc or one of those electronic ones? I've heard the electronic ones are not all that reliable but better than nothing..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2004, 08:34:07 AM »
Fish oil? hmm My Mother always swears by Cod liver oil tablets. She reckons it's good for the complexion as well. I suppose Mother is right about some things after all. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I think in a way many of these things are almost instinctive. I've avoided salt for years without knowing why and always craved lemon juice, finding out recently I'm lacking something to be found in it.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2004, 09:31:25 AM »
I'm not sure the miligrams right now because I gave my last bottle to a friend who is having cholesterol problems...

For blood pressure monitoring, I only have 14 years of BP checks every time I go to the doc, and since I starting having some medical problems 3 years ago I probably had my BP checked every week or so for a couple of years.  At one point in my career, every visit I was right at 145/80.  Right now, I average 130/60.  I'm not exercising any more and although I keep putting more and more limits on my diet, I haven't lost a pound in that time.  The biggest drop in my bp and cholesterol in that 14 years happened right after I started taking these fish oil capsules.

It sounds too good to be true but since both my brother and I saw tangible results within about 2 weeks, it's not very expensive to try.