Author Topic: High blood pressure  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2004, 09:45:01 AM »
Word to the wise on Blood Pressure from an older guy

About two weeks ago...closer to three actually, my son was staying over with me for the weekend.  I'm 55 years old btw.
Anywhooo.....while sitting on the sofa watching a Movie with my Son....I suddenly got an intense headache in the middle of my forehead area.....felt nauseous.....lasted only about 20 seconds or so....I had my eyes closed because of the pain.  WHen I opened them I couldn't see!  I could see shapes, but I couldn't make them out!  I laid down......relaxed...vision came back but still was somewhat blurry.

History.....I competed in organized athletics until I was 43 years old....baseball...retired because it took forever for my Hamstrings to heal .  I played football, basketball, and baseball in HS and played Football in College.  I give Blood to the Red Cross on a yearly basis and two months previous to this occurance...while giving blood my blood pressure was 123 over 82. Great Pressure.
My work at times does involve some hvy physical exertion (Blast Furnace Gen. Turn Supv)  so rarely do I get a hvy workout, but always moving at work and frequently put 12 hours in at least a day.  Collesterol is 198....no problems anywhere.

Moral of story is.....Blood Pressure can go haywire at any time!  If you notice a slight change in your vision, even a light ringing of the ears, while driving a night you seem not to see as well as you did yesterday etc.  These all could be signs.

Went to the Doctor....Blood Pressure was suddenly 177/117!
Things happen, I feel that headache was a shot across my bow warning me.  It could have been a stroke (it wasn't, I had an MRI done perscribed by doctor to check brain, neck, and the vascular system in that area....and blood tests done for diabetes etc.)
All tests came back negative....I was lucky....and am now very thankful that I was given this warning.  Next time might not be so lucky.

Moral of story................monitor your BP....not hard, Dr. will usually have his Nurse do it free of charge if you just come in to have it checked...just call in beforehand.  Some things happen in life we don't expect.  No matter what your age. BP, or even colesterol...matter of fact even blood sugar can go haywire.
Do the best you can to keep track of these.

I am now taking diltieazem 360mg per day, one dose in time release capsule and BP is back under control.  I actually now sleep better and longer, dunno why.... know it's not the drug prolly just because my BP is under control...another reason to monitor I guess
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 09:48:26 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2004, 11:31:53 AM »
Hajo,

That could have been a migraine with aura...

Look up ocular migraine, migraine with aura, and aura without migraine on google.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2004, 12:25:43 PM »
try this...take a look at the rda table on the package labe of the stuff you eat.  Keep the salt (sodium) at 100% or lower for your rda. (rcommended dail allowance.)
  Watch your blood pressure go down.  I had hi blood pressure also.  I started to monitor my sodium intake and down went my blood pressure and I lost 29 lbs in 6 weeks!
  You will be surprised at how much salt is in the canned and packaged stuff you eat.  Soups and lunch meats, cheeses, potato chips and pretzels.  And the hidden ones, bread, and cereal.
  Try it!
  And keep off the crack, crank, junk, stuff, smack, blow. snow and whiff.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2004, 01:54:20 PM »
In regard to the question about taking blood pressure at home, seems to be a good idea.  My wife has been on blood pressure medication for years, and so monitors her blood pressure daily.

She uses a battery powered digital blood pressure monitor called Reli On by Omron.  She takes it to her doctor's office every once in awhile to make sure it tracks with their readings, and it does.

My blood pressure is normally around 130/70, so I monitor mine occasionally.  Two weeks ago spiked up to 148 at the doctor's office which seems to have been a fluke.  I'm  watching my diet and exercising since I don't want to get started on medication.  

Later dawned on me I had been slightly clenching my fist .  The doc also takes blood pressure with the device over my shirt sleeve instead of sleeve rolled up.  First medic I ever saw do that, but his readings seem close to what I get at home.  

About 20 years ago I had a transient isthemic attack (TIA) which I later figured out might have been caused by stupidly using a vibrator on my scalp and neck to relieve stiffness after overexerting something or other.  

Nevertheless, have been on one a day aspirin dose ever since, and that seems to be a good thing since many physicians supposedly do that as a general health practice.  

I have added one fish oil capsule a day (recommended up to three a day) and one 1,250 mg garlic pill since garlic is another supposed health enhancement.  This equals half of one garlic glove, a commonly suggested dose of garlic.

Plus my daily multivitamin -- have always favored the Stress Formula high potency extra Vitamin C, B-1, B-2, B-6, B-12, Niacin and Pantothenic.

In sum, I hear many physicians take a daily aspirin, vitamin pill, fish oil and sometimes garlic, so what is good for their general health maintenance sounds good for mine.  

And ... still have to conclude a lot of blood pressure and general health is substantially hereditary.  Docs have good reason to ask for detailed family health history.

For example, Washington Post recently had a story about a healthy looking 46-year-old mother and community leader who, just after being filmed for a television program about her, died suddenly from a heart attack.  Apparently no one saw that coming.  Huge surprise to all.

Moral:  Know your family history, take good care of yourself, but be prepared for anything.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 10:12:19 AM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2004, 05:14:56 PM »
OIO - how do you think you're going to improve your health by taking advice from a load of fat American bastages! :D:lol

Just kidding, guys! Just kidding. I'm sure you're all jolly good chaps. :):aok

My story: Like cpxxx, I had a BP blip - in 1991 at my aviation medical (Class 3, because I was a lowly VFR pleb). It was 150/100 - and I realised later it was because I'd done a lot of rushing around to see this doctor, who was not my regular AME. He put it down to white coat syndrome. That was the only time I had a high reading.

Several years later, I had a stressful period - relocated overseas, lost that job, divorce, relocated overseas again (new job), father died, came back, house purchase... but a few months later had to have surgery (wisdom tooth removal). They were worried about my BP. It was 110/70. Well alrighty! The anaesthetist was OK about it, so surgery went ahead. Months later, I had it checked again - 110/70. I put it down to the divorce - getting rid of all that stress! :D

Diet/Alcohol consumption: I have several alcohol free days each week. Primary tipple is red wine. I don't stop at the namby-pamby one glass limit; I'll have four, thank you. Always red wine - preferably Pinot Noir, with Cabernet/Merlot next choice.  Beer/wine OK, spirits not so good. Today I had a salmon nicoise salad for lunch, some bacon & eggs this evening. Quite a bit of fruit, watch the carbohydrate. 6'0½", 223lb. 50 next month. I enjoy walking/mountain climbing. I feel great! NO SMOKING OF ANY KIND.

BTW - when I had surgery, they gave me wine in hospital. Needless to say, it was BUPA - not NHS :rofl

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2004, 05:37:18 PM »
>>Look up ocular migraine, migraine with aura, and aura without migraine on google.
<<

good tip. I used to get the aura and then a migraine. Now I just get the aura. While its distracting ( especially trying to work at a monitor), at least it dosn't hurt.

First time I ever got the aura, I was about 15 and thought I was having an acid flashback :D

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2004, 10:36:12 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Several years later, I had a stressful period -

Yeah, my wife has those too. It's probably a hormone imbalance.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2004, 11:53:27 AM »
Originally posted by myelo
Yeah, my wife has those too. It's probably a hormone imbalance.
:rofl

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
High blood pressure
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2004, 03:13:23 PM »
Just to add to your store of potentially useful, but probably not, information............:D

I've lived with high blood pressure all of my life.  It wasn't discovered until my freshman year of high school, in Biology class.  We were learning how to properly use a blood pressure cuff (the Biology teacher was also the school nurse .......... and the Chemistry teacher, and Anatomy, and ......... well you get the picture), and after trying 3 times the teacher got exasperated with us and took over to "show us the right way".  Thought the old bat was going to have a heart attack herself when she realized the readings we were getting weren't as off as she thought.  I went through surgery that summer and have been on BP medication ever since.  

What I wanted to add to the general store here, is that there are as many different kinds of medication for BP as there are reasons for it.  Some regulate levels of hormones in the blood like Renin (this was my problem).  Others are what they call "beta blockers" that interfere with epinephrine stimulation of the heart, lowering heart rates and thus BP.  Others are diuretics, dialating arteries and increasing urine output to lower blood volume (and thus BP).  There are others as well that do more wonderful things, I just cant remember them off the top of my head.

The only reason I wanted to add this, is because some people refuse to educate themselves on the reasons for their high blood pressure, and what the medicines they take DO for you, so I thought I would include the normal "stupid person" note to not take other people's medication.  I nearly lost someone once who also had high BP, and when their medication ran out, they figured they could sneak into mine (she had some screw-up with her insurance at the time and couldnt afford the pills on her own).  At the time, I was taking hormone control medication, after my surgery (one of my kidneys was malformed, and was pumping tons of Renin into my system).  My aunt takes beta blockers (which I now take).  Without the beta blocker in her system, her heart went into overload, and she nearly died.  Not to mention the hormonal problems she was having from taking my medication.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2005, 06:54:38 PM »
update:

Doc gave me sample of a BP medicine to take for 3 weeks to try out.

First day i took one... WHOA. Like 15 mins after I took the first pill i felt like my body slowed down.. i couldnt feel the blood going through my veins (which after asking many friends and family its.. normal. I mean,  all my life ive actually felt pumpumpumpump on my hands and throat...  after that 1st pill it was like white noise.. the lack of the sensation really freaked me out lol).

No other effects though.. and throught the weeks it got better the effect wasnt as pronounced (guess i was getting used to it).

I ran out of the BP medicine last friday (its sunday now)..and for the last 2 days ive been feeling a bit like I did before i began taking them.

Blood tests and other stuff begin this week.

Gonna buy me a crate of red wine tomorrow as well (didnt take any so not to skew the BP checkups while i used the medicine).

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2005, 09:29:36 PM »
You need to call his office and get a refill. Going on and off your meds is dangerous and can possibly cause serious damage, worse than not taking them at all. Blood vessels, arteries and veins don't take fluctuating pressure well.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2005, 10:04:37 PM »
For some people a trip to the doctor will raise BP.
It's called white coat syndrome.

When I was on the ambulance or medical control protocol stated that if the Patients BP was above 100(diastolic) They got a ride to the ER.

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2005, 10:35:41 PM »
Buy a bp monitor before the red wine. If you are having a problem with bp, you should have a monitor and be keeping a bp diary.

Offline JoOwEn

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2005, 12:35:49 AM »
just drink cool aid

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
High blood pressure
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2005, 03:59:41 PM »
update:

Doctor gave me a sample of a BP medication (2.5mg) , took it for 3 weeks. It did lower my BP a bit...but doc said itd be better if i started taking 5mg.

Blood test results came in today.. all is normal except...

well, except my triglycerides are waay and i mean WAY off the scale.

Normal levels should be 150. mine is at 900 :eek:

Needless it is to say, it scared the living **** outta me.

So now i have this 600mg twice a day medication (gemfibrozil) to bring that down..should take them for 30 days then have another blood exam.

Dropped the red wine thing.. alchohol increases triglycerides in the blood. Funny thing though, i dont drink any alchohol at ALL except for the very rare wine with food (like once a month) or whiskey (half a glass once a month at best).

My diet is practically free of junk food or fast-food (if i eat a burger or a pizza once per 3 weeks its too much).. though I do eat a lot of meat (which doc said i should stop.. so now its meat only twice a week..any type of meat. Gonna turn me into a freaking rabbit sigh).