Author Topic: Brother-in-law was laid off today  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Brother-in-law was laid off today
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2004, 07:37:29 PM »
Rip, tell your relative to keep his chin up. The economy is booming, opportunities abound for those who are willing to take a risk.

I was laid off a job last year... started not one but two small businesses and haven't looked back since.

If he is the least be entrepenuerial, he will see a need and get going.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2004, 10:21:23 PM »
Pet rocks was entrepreneurish, as was metabolite/ephedrin, spray painted hair, the bar-b-cue grill that used newspaper for that ink smoked flavor, chia pets and don't forget the clapper.

These famous endeavors have brought much to the quality of life in America. "Ignore the 38 hour no befefits work week - we are an entrepenaurial society and home of the clapper"

Clap off

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2004, 10:27:22 PM »
hehe

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2004, 10:30:21 PM »
Originally posted by TweetyBird
Pet rocks was entrepreneurish, as was metabolite/ephedrin, spray painted hair, the bar-b-cue grill that used newspaper for that ink smoked flavor, chia pets and don't forget the clapper.

These famous endeavors have brought much to the quality of life in America. "Ignore the 38 hour no befefits work week - we are an entrepenaurial society and home of the clapper"

Clap off

yeah, and what's your point? All these made money.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2004, 11:14:21 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
yeah, and what's your point? All these made money.

LOL Dude, EXACTLY!!! Any one of us can be the next Popiel SuperStar!! SOMEBODY had to invent that  Pocket Fisherman!

We don't need minimum wages, healthcare, or economic safety nets as long as we have this great opportunity to invent a self threading needle or a self lubricating butt plug!!

In the immortal words of Tommy Vu... "You don't have the GUTS to be rich!!"

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2004, 12:31:17 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo
However, if the Pack pulls this one off, I'll be like rpmhat on a Bush mistep. I'll be sure to post all about it, and no one will care. Would be nice to be able to do that though, and put that 26 **** to rest.

Cheers.

I was big on Ahman Green in fantasy drafts, he's killing me right now. Seemed like the Pack didn't show up, their defense sure didn't. I have rarely seen a team come out so flat.

I did have Philly in the pick four pool, but I was out after the one O'clock games. Had Chicago(getting 6), Tampa Bay(giving 3), Miami(getting 4), Philly(giving 6). Buffalo screwed me for a second week in a row, I hate them.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2004, 01:24:37 AM »
Don't be too hard on Tweety, Nuke.  He's a liberal who has no concept of self reliance.  To him, Govt handouts are an entitlement.  He could never possibly begin to understand any form of independence.  Those who cannot stand on their own, without Goct subsidies, view all others w/ disdain in order to hide their own jealousy.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2004, 09:07:15 AM »
Hell if I know Six. Any given Sunday is a catchy phrase, but this is retarded. You would think teams would be better at some regular consistency. I'm just glad to be apart of a thread that started about airline economics, yet still somehow included Hee Haw and the pocket fisherman.

Oh, and I'm a sucker for football, will be glued to a bar table for MNF again, which will pry turn out to be a yawner. It's really hard to watch the Cowboys, but oh well. Bring on the wings.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2004, 09:17:10 AM »
I'll swap you a Pocket Fisherman for your Hee Haw DVD, Creamo.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2004, 09:19:15 AM »
Originally posted by Stringer
Tweety,
I don't think that will make one bit of difference to the average, and the vast majority of consumers.

I worked as head of Global Supply Chain and Sourcing for a Consumer Products company and the data doesn't lie.
The Point of Sale data that the retailers use to help shape their buying decisions, that is.  

Every foot on a retail shelf has to generate so much revenue.  If the product put there costs more and the consumer doesn't buy it, then that shelf space is now costing money, not generating it.

I totally disagree with that statement. It is blind thinking like that that is the downfall of many good companies. You sound like the typical MBA type manager who thinks he knows it all and is really missing the big picture.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2004, 09:25:36 AM »
Nice try. Ever catch a 12 lb carp in Wisconsin on a pocket fisherman? No thanks.

I'm holding out for a better offer. 70's chicks with wacky big hair in country dress's pie high is just worth more, I think.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2004, 11:23:50 AM »
Originally posted by Habu
I totally disagree with that statement. It is blind thinking like that that is the downfall of many good companies. You sound like the typical MBA type manager who thinks he knows it all and is really missing the big picture.

Habu,
You've got me pegged all wrong.

Trust me, I'm not the MBA type nor do I have one, and I don't think I know it all, and it sure the hell isn't blind thinking.  It's blind generalizations like yours that always seem to miss the mark.

It all comes from being on the ground and doing it.  We had a mix of manufacturing from the US, Far East, Portugal, as well as other places.  

I wouldn't mind carrying on a further discussion via e-mail on each of our perspectives and the experiences that have shaped them, if you're interested.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2004, 12:05:39 PM »
My problem with your statement about shelfing space being costly real estate that needs to have products that are turning on them.

In theory this sounds resonable. Only put things on the shelf that turn quickly and you will make more money.

However in real life there are many reasons to put items on the shelf that do not turn quickly. The primary reason is to get a customer to come into the store in the first place.

Price and availability of popular products is only part of the equation.

If you create a better shopping experience than your compediter and you have the same basic price comparisons then your store will attract the customer eventually. Many items look nice, create a wonderful atmosphere but only sell occasionally. Think of a display of bright coloured cushions near some garden furniture. Remove them at the expense of cheaper mass market items and you cheapen the shopping experience maybe. People like to shop in a nice environment and what is on the shelf is part of that. Even if they do not buy every product.

Another reason your logic is faulty is that you might be selling a ton of flour but only a bit of baking powder. Using your logic dump the baking powder. However if the cook needs 200 lbs of flour for every 8 oz box of baking powder and he needs both, guess where he is not going to shop?

I could give you many more examples but I think you get the point.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Re: Brother-in-law was laid off today
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2004, 12:17:12 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
He was an American Airlines Mechanics supervisor in Kansas City.  He says the company is almost dead, he had very high seniority.
:(

Wow – I just saw this Rip.

Our distinguished (not) mayor Kay Barnes rammed through a big tax initiative to give incentives for American to keep their maintenance facility here.

Did that go south or did American decide it wasn’t enough?

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2004, 12:27:46 PM »
Originally posted by Stringer

Every foot on a retail shelf has to generate so much revenue.  If the product put there costs more and the consumer doesn't buy it, then that shelf space is now costing money, not generating it.

Client of mine is Penofin Performance Coatings. They lost their Home Depot shelf space (bout seven mil a year in business) because a competitor was able to sell a similar product cheaper... basically because the competitor doesn't have the EPA regs California does, or they were able to import a product from overseas, or whatever reason... bottom line is, Penofin laid off forty employees.