Author Topic: P-40 and huricane  (Read 1539 times)

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
P-40 and huricane
« on: July 08, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
why arnt these two in the game.

i would have thought they would be 2 of the most recongnisable fighters in the world

i personally would love to see the flying tiger flying in aces high:-)

rav

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2001, 12:02:00 AM »
Well HiTech started with a fairly late war planeset. P51d, 190, 109, once started in this time frame, it only made sense to continue to flesh out the planeset for that period.

Many of us hope to see early war planes eventually come to Aces High. However it seems to come down to the  question of "greatest good". Do you model 3 early war planes (that may be flown sparingly at best in a late war enviorment) or add more late war planes that will see more use?

I have no doubt that we will see the early war spit, hurri, A6m, P40 etc eventually. Just a question of when & how he'll do it.

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2001, 02:40:00 AM »
yeah i dont really see why anhyone would fly them, since they are suppose to be "inferior" to the late model aircrafts.

but maybe say for the battle of britain scenarios or island hoping scenarios, people can be restricted to those planes, ie hurricane for bob and p-40 for indo china scenarios.

rav

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2001, 06:41:00 PM »
Ghosth is right on.  With most people flying the late war planeset I'm afraid you won't find many people flying these early airplanes except for those people who have a real liking to a particular early war plane.  They just don't have the speed and/or firepower of the later planes.  Unless we move towards more of a rolling plane set (RPS) like in Warbirds it just won't happen.  BTW, I really enjoyed the rolling plane set in Warbirds.  I especially liked the first 6 months where all you had was a few fighter types on all sides (Spit I, Hurricane, A6M52, F4F and Bf109-e models).  You have to rethink a little how you fly and with the somewhat limited stable of aircraft won't run into so many different types that your tactics will be more effective.  This planeset is more of a turn-n-burn type because the speeds are all relatively even (I think the Bf109 was the fastest in the very early years)

Offline DingHao2

• Copper Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
P-40 probably won't be in AH for a long time, but I personally hope to see the Hurricane Mk. IID or Mk. IV with 2 40mm cannons, as an addition to the anti tank platform that we started with in the Il-2.

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ding_Hao:
P-40 probably won't be in AH for a long time...

:(   <sigh>  Then I would guess a Pearl Harbor scenario is out of the question.
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2001, 01:11:00 PM »
For the moment we cannot do a Pearl Harbor.

HTC started towards the end of the war and they've been filling out the plane set as well as are working backwards.

The SimHQ interview, with Pyro, indicates that HTC feels they will have the entire war set done by next late spring/summer with the possible exception of a few planes.

Westy

Offline stahler

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fmfnet.com/cmc/
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2001, 06:17:00 PM »
I would like to see the P-40 Warhawk (aka Tomahawk) Hurricane II, Spit I and Bf109E-4s and A6m mostly  for historical scenarios.  What I would like too also see is the Main Arena split into two sections, one with a rolling plane set and one with the late war plane set that we have.

By the way, The last iteration of the P40 was the P40-N varient that had the V12 Allison Engine and six .50 Cal machine guns.  (Note, these are the ones used in the movie Pearl Harbor)  while the real Pearl Harbor P40s, the P40-B had a MUCH weaker engine and six .30 cal MGs.  If my research was correct, the P40 line was discontinued becuase the P51 was far superior.

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2001, 09:35:00 PM »
pearl harbor scenario? it'll have to be a historically incorrect one, maybe split like 20% us and 80 % japanese.........in reality it wasnt anywhere near that:-)

maybe we can have all the newbies on the japanese side and the pros on the us.

and we need some more japanese planes like the kate torpedoe plane.....is that right?.

yeah that would be a cool scenario to play in. ill have to save up 60 bucks to get into the arena though:-(

rav

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: raven 8 ]

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2001, 08:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by raven 8:
pearl harbor scenario? it'll have to be a historically incorrect one, maybe split like 20% us and 80 % japanese.........in reality it wasnt anywhere near that:-)

Of course it can't be historically accurate.  We held a three session Pearl scenario every year in AW.  It was an absolute blast.  

Frame One:  US had no clue when or from where the attacks were coming.  The P40s were on the runway and could not launch until hostile planes were identified.  Can you say "vulch-fest"??  Oh yeah, the US forces were able to man unlimited FPs at the bases.

Frame Two:  US was able to launch just as Japanese forces were making landfall (T+45).  A well driven P40 or F4f with a little alt is a tougher nut to crack in a Zeke.  US forces were able to try and find and sink the Japanese CVs with level bombers and torpedo planes (IF they got off the runway  :D)

Frame Three:  Everyone launches at the same time and the Japanese CO has to decide between totally leveling battleship row and the airbases vs. fleet defense.

and we need some more japanese planes like the kate torpedoe plane.....is that right?.

Yep... early Zekes, Kates, and Vals.  P40s, F4fs, and if you add some Buffalos the same plane set works for a Midway setup!!  :D  The movable CVs that AH has would bring a new level to a scenario like that!

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: raven 8 ][/QB]

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2001, 08:27:00 AM »
WOW!!!!!WOW!!!!

that sounds totally awsome!!!

im gonna get a job and scrape togethet he 60 bucks to play that scenario......i will keep my eyes open for it on the events callender.

WOW!!!!

this game is totally awsome:-)

im having a blast just playing 1v1 in h2h.....scenarios would be so cool.

double wow

but it wouldnt be the same with out the proper planes........so bring in the p-40:-)

rav(messiah1 in h2h)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2001, 08:49:00 AM »
AW events, the only thing I miss.....

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by raven 8:
WOW!!!!!WOW!!!!

that sounds totally awsome!!!

im gonna get a job and scrape togethet he 60 bucks to play that scenario......i will keep my eyes open for it on the events callender.

WOW!!!!

rav(messiah1 in h2h)

Hehehe, save your money until you see some announcements in here.  Like I said, this scenario was in AirWarrior not AH.  Until then, we can only hope  ;)

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Seeker:
AW events, the only thing I miss.....

No watermelon dude  :(   The MA mentality gets old.

Gawd... Longbow would have been a HOOT in AH AND we could have had drop tanks on the Spits!  :D

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
P-40 and huricane
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2001, 09:23:00 AM »
im gonna install aw tomorow..........do u get a free trial period?

rav(messiah1 in h2h)