Author Topic: Learning to fly  (Read 7956 times)

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #270 on: March 28, 2005, 02:19:07 PM »
Now that you'll be living in Orygun, you might be interested in checking out the annual Northwest Antique Airplane Club Flyin at the McMinnville airport.  http://www.nwaac.com/
It's not a very far flight from Springfield.

Right across the road is the Evergreen Aviation Museum that houses the Spruce Goose, among other interesting and historic aircraft.  http://www.sprucegoose.org/

I'm living vicariously through your narrative.  I bought a Jeppesen self study kit from the local FBO containing a half dozen books, flight computer and even a fuel tester.  I'm slowly wading through it but will have to wait another year before I can start flying.

This is my favorite thread.  Keep up the great narrative.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2005, 03:08:26 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!  I've been really enjoying the flying, and writing the recaps afterwards has been a great way to organize my thoughts.  I created a yahoo group for my family that we use to keep abreast on what we're doing, and I've been posting my stories there too.  It's been neat because some of my family members have been starting to get interested in flying too because of the narrative.  If I play my cards right, I might be able to pull off splitting the cost of a plane sometime between fam.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2005, 07:53:09 PM »
Status change!  My checkride has just been moved up to this Friday at 10AM.  This is good, because I will be taking my exam out of Santa Monica instead of Van Nuys, and the examiner is someone who my instructor has worked with before and other pilots at my work recommend.

This morning, I flew with my instructor to Simi Valley where we started some intense review of maneuvers in preparation for the exam.  I did a short field take-off, which is unnerving.  Remember, this is the one where I pull back on the yoke and climb away from the ground about 10 knots before I usually do, so I really have to watch my stall.  It's nowhere near as bad as the soft field takeoff, where you literally fly the plane off the ground while stalled.

I was worried about my proficiency doing turns around a point, so we picked an intersection in Simi and he had me do a turn.  Simultaneously annoying and relieving was that I got it right away.  My practice a few weeks ago, my instructor theorized, may have been at the wrong altitude.

Twice he gave me engine failures, and both times I did ok.  First time, he was a bit annoyed that I changed my landing spot twice, and suggested I pick some place and stick with it.  Second time, he wasn't wild about the gentle hill (without people or trees or anything) I picked and suggested that a street or baseball diamond would be better, and that would be what the examiner would be looking for.

We also did unusual attitudes again.  I had the hood on, and I swear that a few times, it felt like we were upside down.  We weren't, but between the Gs and him saying things like "ok, now we'll do another loop de loop..." to mess with me, it really felt like it.  I floated out of my seat a couple times too, but both times I recovered the plane instantly when he told me to open my eyes.  Even with the plane on its side with the nose pointing up 30 degrees, I was able to fix things right away (cram the throttle, shove that yoke forward, then level the wings).  Same with diving turns (level the wings first while pulling back the throttle, then pull back the yoke).

Then he said "take me to Van Nuys".  So I glance at my chart and tune the radio to get Van Nuys ATIS while I pilot us towards them.  Well outside their airspace, I call their tower and request full stop.  They give me vectors, give me a squawk code (I don't hear the squawk code because I'm not expecting it, good lesson to learn) and I bring it in for a landing.  I pooch the short field landing that he tells me to do by touching down too early, but I'll get more practice in the next couple days.  I might solo and just do pattern work for an hour to improve.

I taxi back, takeoff, and fly back to Santa Monica.  

He didn't have to tell me to do hardly anything compared to a few weeks ago, so I feel like I'm really getting it.  He's helping me fly precise right now, and that's really going to help out as I work on my instrument rating down the road.

I'm gonna study my butt off this week, re-reading the regulations and AIM (over a thousand pages of riveting legal-speak), and tonight I'll total up all the columns in my log book and see how many hours simulated instrument, cross country, night, total landings, etc I have.  Should be interesting.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #273 on: March 30, 2005, 08:34:44 AM »
Some photos I snapped while flying to Mojave:

http://hallert.net/misc/mojavesolo/index.html

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #274 on: March 30, 2005, 05:52:36 PM »
This morning, my instructor had another student ahead of me when I got there.  They got out of the plane and I introduced myself to him, and it turns out that he's been reading my lesson recaps!  It was a real surprise, he had found it via a Usenet post I made, and flattering that he recognized me.  If you're reading this, Ahmet, howdy!

After takeoff, my instructor ran me through some maneuvers found on a typical checkride.  I did stalls, slow flight, steep turns, hood flight, and more.  

The winds were really blowing in Simi Valley, where we were.  It was very turbulent, so the plane was thrown all over the place.  At one point, I got caught in an updraft and was climbing at almost 1,500 feet per minute, which is pretty spectacular for a plane like mine.  ...especially since I was in level flight.

At one point, a twin (it looked like one of the med-flights, planes that drop modified Med-Flies all over the valley to inhibit the growth of the population) came at us, then turned in behind us and flew underneath us.  It was really jerky, and messed with our maneuvers until he got out of the way.  When I say close, I mean in the 100-200 feet range.  Felt like I had an enemy plane on my 6 o'clock.

I did some landings and soft field take-offs.  For some reason, I was having real problems with getting these maneuvers smoothly today, so I'll need some solo practice before my exam.

Friday morning, 10 AM pacific.  The clock is ticking....  Also, I just got word from my boss that I am go for moving up north to be with my family.  We've been apart since November (except for short trips) so I'm really looking forward to it.  I sure hope I pass my check-ride, I ain't gonna be around to take it again!

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Last flight before the exam
« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2005, 05:58:20 PM »
Today, I had my last flight before my check-ride, and I'm nervous.

My instructor had me fly out towards the valley, then we did various maneuvers as if I was on my checkride.  Before I get into details, know that the winds in the valley were really strong and I had to hold the plane about 30-40 degrees to the right of my course to correct for it.  That, and they were blowing hard, so it looked like I was sliding sideways over the ground.

I did steep turns (the first one, I messed up because I was disoriented by looking at the ground, then the rest were perfect because I sat far back in my seat, ignored the ground, and watched the horizon and my gauges), stalls, instrument work, and other stuff.  When we cross to Simi Valley, the air got extremely turbulent and threw us around like crazy.  At one point, my INSTRUCTOR got nauseous, and he's the old pro.  For some reason, all my stomach did was get sour, but I was spared actual sickness.  At one point, my instructor was asking me "So, you doing ok?  We can stop if you want" and I realized that he was actually sorta hoping, but I was fine.

We did unusual attitudes again, and I safely got us out of trouble.  At one point, I had a simulated engine out.  I found a field to put it down, but the winds really messed up my approach, so I came in high.  I would have gotten it down, but probably been still rolling at the far end of the field.

Finally, I came back via the LAX and Santa Monica VORs and did a short field landing.  It wasn't great (I touched down at the very last few feet of where I had to) but it worked.  I taxied back, did a soft field take-off .  The soft field take-off is about gently taxiing without using brakes and making wide turns because you don't want to do anything that'll get you stuck in the dirt.  I was saying this outloud as I gently brought us onto the runway and lined up.  As I started to advance the throttle, my instructor yelled 'Abort!  Abort!  Abort!'  I yanked back the throttle, then immediately realized I had forgotten the 'lights, camera, action' mantra.  After using some brief FCC unfriendly language at myself for this screwup, I flipped on the lights (landing lights and fuel pump), the camera (transponder to ALT), and action (mixture to full rich) and took off.  Other then my screw up, which I think is because I was spending so much time yacking about the soft field takeoff, the takeoff went well and and I flew once around the pattern before coming in for a soft field landing.

As you may recall, the soft field landing means basically 'land as gently as possible' because you don't want the wheels to get stuck in the mud and...  tumble your aircraft.  I brought the plane down with two notches of flaps, then, right as I flared, added a touch of power and inch by inch flew the plane down the last foot until, without even a bump, the wheels touched down and the plane gently alighted on all three wheels.

"Oh my god...." my instructor began, and I worriedly checked my gauges and looked outside to see if there was an obstruction I hadn't seen, because we're still rolling and I'm gently slowing us down, then he continued with "that was the smoothest landing I've ever seen.  I wish that was your checkride soft field landing, Ben, that was great!"

On that high note, I parked the plane and we retired to the classroom for some questions/answers.  My instructor had to run, but I had an hour scheduled with the owner of the school (another CFI) so that I could get an example of the oral portion of the checkride with someone new.  I was frustrated because I messed up some questions/answers about airspace, but I'll be cramming tonight for sure to do well tomorrow.

Tonight, I've got a brief meeting to go through filling out the paperwork/application for the test.  17 hours until my checkride!  It's now apparently at 9AM, even though my instructor told me 10.  Well, better I get there too early then too late if one of us is wrong.

17 hours!

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #276 on: March 31, 2005, 08:55:28 PM »
Goodluck Chairboy!  How many hours do you have going into it?  I'm not going to jinx you by saying you'll pass with flying colors :).

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #277 on: March 31, 2005, 09:55:50 PM »
You're DOOMED!

I spoke with the oracle...she showed me an image from Chairboy's future...

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2005, 12:05:57 AM »
Yaaaaaaaaarrgg!

Regarding hours, I'm at 52.8.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2005, 12:15:32 AM »
For disclaimer purposes...that photo was a joke :p

You'll do great...just don't screw up :D

By the way...what's your jacket size?  I know it's unusal but I had an idea.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #280 on: April 01, 2005, 03:52:44 PM »
So, I woke up this morning at a quarter to six, and was showered and dressed and out the door shortly after.  I grabbed some coffee at Starbuc-buc-buc-bucks and waited until they opened the airport so I could finish my planning in the pilots lounge.

I spent a few hours last night studying and plotting out the trip to Paso Robles airport, but I waited until this morning to get current winds/weather so I could finish the math.  After a half hour, I had all that done so I studied some more.  During this time, I heard the tower clear 8258 Sierra for flight and watched my instructor take off w/ my plane (I admonished him not to break it before my exam), then later on heard him cleared for landing.  I walked out on the patio and watched it land and snapped a couple pictures.

I studied some more, and finally, it was 9 AM.  I went to the classroom where the examiner was already waiting.  He introduced himself, and we got started.  First, he briefed me about the test, including giving me an idea of the structure, told me I could take notes if I needed to help with mnemonics (does GOOSE A CAT mean anything to anyone else?  It does if you're a pilot...  or an animal hater).  Finally, he collected his fee (I can see the value in doing that BEFORE the test begins) and we got started.

He quizzed me on systems, regulations, and spent a lot of time on airspace.  He had me list off all the altitudes, visibility requirements, cloud clearances, necessary pilot qualifications, and required equipment for each airspace.  Class golf airspace may be uncontrolled, but that sure doesn't mean it's uncomplicated.  There is a LOT to know about it, and after a little bit of pain, I got it all out.

One thing I missed a little on was the oxygen/altitude requirements.  I had the right ideas, but got some of the numbers wrong.  No biggy, just something to study up on.  

Finally, I showed him my flight plan to Paso Robles (no confusion about THIS airport, that was a relief.  If there was a Palos Robles or Palo Rosso, I'm sure we could have had another Baker/Bakersfield moment) as well as my weight & balance worksheet.  After he approved this, I called 800-WX-BRIEF and got the weather.

Dial, ring, menu, then: "Hawthorne flight service station."  
Me:"Good morning, I'd like a standard weather briefing."
Him:"Go."
Me:"Flight type will be VFR.  Aircraft tail number is November 8258 Sierra.  Aircraft type is papa alpha dash two eight dash one six one.  Departure airport is Santa Monica, flying via Thousand Oaks to Camarillo (he asked me to get weather for our actual flight, not the flight plan) and back and forth around the Simi Valley practice area.  Estimated time of departure is, uh, about forty five minutes from now, and planned altitude is..."  I glance up as the examiner gestures the number "4" with his hand, "four thousand five hundred, with maneuvering at four thousand.  Estimated time in the area is about one and a half hours."
Him: "Well, you picked about the worst time possible to fly out there."
Me: "Uhhh....."
It turns out that there's lots of turbulence, wind shear, and the local airports report gusts from 25 to 35 knots.  I ask him about taking the Special Flight Rules Corridor down to the Long Beach practice area instead, and he reports winds that are a little, but not much better.  The poor winds, plus my relative unfamiliarity with the area (I'd want to spend some time looking at the charts before I maneuver down there) makes me make a hard decision.

"Glenn," I start, after briefing him on what I found, "it's not great."  He responds with "it's your call.  We can go fly if you want, or try and reschedule the flight portion."

Now I'm stuck on the horns of a dilemma.  I'm driving up north on Monday, and I'm losing my margin of error here pretty effectively.  He's assumed a perfect poker face, and there's no indication from him about what to do.  Gradually realizing my role as Pilot in Command is in effect, I come to a decision.

"I think we should abort.  I really want to take this test right now, but the winds are too heavy."  I'm concerned about maneuvering close to the ground, also worried about what these up and downdrafts will do to me during precision moves like Steep Turns that have tight tolerances before you fail the maneuver, and consequently, the test.

He nods, then sits back.  "I couldn't say anything before you made your decision, but I agree with you.  Good call on the weather.  We'll reschedule for tomorrow at 4."

We chat for a little as the owner of the school comes up.  He asks us what's happening, and the examiner tells him.  It's such a beautiful day out that the owner seems skeptical, but when he tunes into the Van Nuys ATIS and calls Camarillo and Oxnard for weather, we hear words on the phone like 'gusting' and 'turbulence'.  Finally, he turns and agrees with the call as well.  

But there is a complication...  the plane is reserved from noon to five on Saturday!  Someone else is taking their check ride with an examiner in Van Nuys.  Hoping that he'll be back a bit early, my examiner and I pencil me in tentatively for that block and on Sunday for a backup.

Tomorrow morning, I'll take the plane up for a little last minute practice and to gauge the weather myself before the other student leaves for Van Nuys.  I can hope for the best while I plan for the worst.

General Weather...  you got Napoleon, you got Hitler, and now you got me.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #281 on: April 01, 2005, 03:58:54 PM »
Golfer: Not sure, maybe 2X.  Why?

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2005, 05:57:42 PM »
I was looking for something along the lines of "46L" or "38R"

I'm running ideas through my head...as long as you're not near the exhaust pipe you typically won't get hurt when I'm thinking :p

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Learning to fly
« Reply #283 on: April 02, 2005, 11:47:28 PM »
Heh, well, I asked my wife, and she has no idea since I've lost so much weight since the last time we bought a coat.  ?????

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Learning to fly
« Reply #284 on: April 02, 2005, 11:50:28 PM »
Good lord man!  Take a string, measure around your chest in inches and then tell me how tall ya are.

For instance...

My chest size is 44
I am a hair over 6'0 so that makes me a 44L.  If you're 5'10 or less you'd be a regular.  lemme know :)